Luongo
McLean
Demko

Reactions: Sonny A

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I love how everyone has Salo up there. He had that bomb of a shot and was always solid defensively in his prime. It's shocking to know Salo is now 49 years old.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Mitchell was a pure defensive player, Tanev could also move the puck.

I'm surprised there's no love for Lumme in this thread.
Too crowded on the LD for Lumme. Some guys can play right, but for left handed shots you start with Hughes and Ohlund and then you have Edler, Jovo, Hamhuis.

One guy on the RH side I'm surprised not getting more love is Adrian Aucoin, maybe because he was traded just before the team got good again in the Cloutier deal. Like Salo with the big shot but without the injury bug, and is the single season Canuck record holder for dman goals in a season. As in my lineup I'd put him with Hughes.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Too crowded on the LD for Lumme. Some guys can play right, but for left handed shots you start with Hughes and Ohlund and then you have Edler, Jovo, Hamhuis.

One guy on the RH side I'm surprised not getting more love is Adrian Aucoin, maybe because he was traded just before the team got good again in the Cloutier deal. Like Salo with the big shot but without the injury bug, and is the single season Canuck record holder for dman goals in a season. As in my lineup I'd put him with Hughes.

I think Aucoin really came into his own post-Canucks, though. Obviously had that 20-whatever goal season, but my memory is that he didn't become Adrian-Aucoin-30+Minute-Guy until he'd left.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Prust - Messier - Oreskovich
Sturm - Janney - Schultz
Beech - Bulis - Smith
Sestito - Chouinard - Goren

Schneider - Nordmark
Slegr - Leeman
Sbisa - Weinrich

Brochu
Ouellet

Ritchie but only on the point on the PP.

but what about our actual whipping boys?

i see sbisa there but murzyn, sopel, gudbranson, and bieksa half the time?

Maybe this should be in the unpopular opinions thread, but I've long considered Mitchell to be somewhat overrated due to him being very personable, a BC guy, and playing like a "good canadian kid" and all that. He was good at what he did, but was pretty one-dimensional and not necessarily as good at what he did as some folks seemed to believe.

you know, in a moral vacuum he was my fourth choice for LD. mitchell and salo remains the best canucks shutdown pair i’ve seen.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I love how everyone has Salo up there. He had that bomb of a shot and was always solid defensively in his prime. It's shocking to know Salo is now 49 years old.

unless you are willing to slum it at ES with jeff brown, i don’t see how you can leave off salo for the slapshit alone

imagine hughes and salo behind any combo of the sedins, bure, mogilny, petey, miller, naslund, and bert

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Why is Gary Leeman playing D? :laugh:

That's a good f***ing question. I think he was one of the first names on there and then I built the rest of it and zoned out and built the D around him because he was just hanging out on his own. He should be in the Schultz/Smith spot, I guess.

Now I have to think of a disappointing defenseman.

edit: ok I fixed it

Last edited:

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
That's a good f***ing question. I think he was one of the first names on there and then I built the rest of it and zoned out and built the D around him because he was just hanging out on his own. He should be in the Schultz/Smith spot, I guess.

Larsen

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
but what about our actual whipping boys?

i see sbisa there but murzyn, sopel, gudbranson, and bieksa half the time?

you know, in a moral vacuum he was my fourth choice for LD. mitchell and salo remains the best canucks shutdown pair i’ve seen.

I think it was more supposed to be disappointments, but kind of merged with generally unpopular players because I got distracted partway through and lost the plot a bit.

I guess my thing with Mitchell is that I have a hard time giving full accolades to any defenseman who can't really play away from like a MasterBlaster type pairing where he has to have another guy with him to take care of the part of the game where there's a puck. Same thing the other way around.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Mitchell was a pure defensive player, Tanev could also move the puck.

I'm surprised there's no love for Lumme in this thread.

I personally had a really hard time leaving Lumme and Ehrhoff off my roster. Those were the two I struggled with the hardest. I found my forward and goaltending lineups pretty easy.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why is Gary Leeman playing D? :laugh:

edit: ok I fixed it

Weird aside, but Leeman was actually drafted as a D, was the WHL's top defender in 1982-83, and played D for Toronto for his first two NHL seasons before being shifted to wing.

Oddly he became one of the worst defensive forwards in the NHL despite having that background.

• Wow
Reactions: Jyrki21 and Vector

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I’m seeing double! Four Slegrs?!

(I’d go Gudbranson there).
Slegr was a Canuck twice!

Weird aside, but Leeman was actually drafted as a D, was the WHL's top defender in 1982-83, and played D for Toronto for his first two NHL seasons before being shifted to wing.

Oddly he became one of the worst defensive forwards in the NHL despite having that background.
Yeah, I think he’s come up in the “make this defenseman a forward” conversations.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

OK, I genuinely didn’t know that. Weird!

I remember Sergio Momesso being classified early as a D-man, but Leeman is an interesting one.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Scott Walker was another. IIRC he played D through junior and then shifted to wing at the pro level where he then stayed.

Scott Walker's journey from smallish high-scoring junior defender to undersized NHL enforcer to top-25 NHL scorer is one of the strangest career arcs in history.

Last edited:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Prust - Messier - Oreskovich
Sturm - Janney - Schultz
Beech - Bulis - Leeman
Sestito - Chouinard - Goren

Schneider - Nordmark
Slegr - Slegr
Sbisa - Weinrich

Brochu
Ouellet

Ritchie but only on the point on the PP.

I don't know what I find funnier, the Ritchie on the point or that you (correctly, might I add) have two Slegrs.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Scott Walker's journey from smallish high-scoring junior defender to undersized NHL enforcer to top-25 NHL scorer is one of the strangest career arcs in history.

"Scott Walker led an NHL team in scoring by 14 points and 7 goals" is not a thing 1996 me ever expected to type.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - JT Miller
Bure - Pettersson - Mogilny
Naslund - Ronning - Bertuzzi
Burrows - Kesler - Linden

Hughes - Ohlund
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Salo

Luongo
Demko
Swap Ronning with Larionov and this is it.

Would love have seen Miller between Bert and Nazzy too.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Swap Ronning with Larionov and this is it.

Would love have seen Miller between Bert and Nazzy too.

That was exactly the forward debate that I had (Ronning vs Larionov). Both so smart and skilled. I went with Ronning’s clutch offense over Larionov’s cerebral two way game.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
odjick rypien brashear
momesso hunter bertuzzi
walker keane smyl
sutter* may sestito

diduck bieksa
butcher jovanovski
strudwick mcallister

cloutier
potvin

* not brandon obviously