Post-Game Talk: Canucks 5, Rangers 0: "Don't you dare score, defend the 5-0 deficit!"

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
The young guys didn't really show up minus the Shinkaruk goal but IMO this is expected, didn't they play ALL the pre-season games?

This long rest will do them wonders

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Just saw hamill at the airport his left arm is ****ed, can't lift anything

Crap. I know a lot of people won't care about this, but he's a key player for the Comets, a team that I think will struggle with scoring in their coming inaugural year. Still a ways off from the beginning of the AHL regular season, though, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I'm really intrigued on Weber's offensive instincts, I think if he is paired with Garrison or Hamhuis, then he can become an excellent offensive threat on the backend. Alberts/Weber is a recipe for disaster and I'm pretty sure Torts was just seeing which defenceman would be better than the other to become a full-time roster player.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Just saw hamill at the airport his left arm is ****ed, can't lift anything

Man all I can picture is him following his bag around the carousel and frantically waving a useless arm at it. Please tell me that's not what he was doing.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The logic behind being defensive of Alberts play and calling out unrealistic expectations is really ridiculous, IMO.

Alberts has ALWAYS been a #7/8 defenseman in his time here, for years and years now. One who for the most part, everyone has accepted for what he is with his limitations and all and think he's been alright in that role (besides last season, where he played over his head and was better).

Nobody is giving him unrealistic expectations. During this preseason, he's been THAT bad, to a degree that isn't acceptable even for a #7/8 guy making 600k.

I'm not saying he won't come around, but I don't think I've seen criticism be more justified. So far, he's played at Barker's level.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
odd that he'd get demoted while injured.
I was under them impression that you can't send injured players to the AHL.

I think that as with trades and what not if the injured player agrees to it you can do so. But no idea really.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
“@patersonjeff: Torts on Edler: he's had a really good camp. I love his aggressiveness. I didn't realize how aggressive he was. Very impressive #Canucks”

love hearing that

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
“@patersonjeff: Torts on Edler: he's had a really good camp. I love his aggressiveness. I didn't realize how aggressive he was. Very impressive #Canucksâ€

love hearing that

I really think Edler has a big year. Torts is just the kind of coach who can bring out the dominant Alex Edler that we've been waiting for.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
“@patersonjeff: Torts on Edler: he's had a really good camp. I love his aggressiveness. I didn't realize how aggressive he was. Very impressive #Canucksâ€

love hearing that

Me too! Finally, someone with authority recognizing his abilities! I've been getting sick of certain portions of our own fanbase calling Edler overrated. He's capable of being a #1 defensemen and has all the tools to be one of the best in the league. The ONLY thing he has been lacking the last couple of years is the consistency, which is pretty much the main thing you need to be a #1 defenseman.

I think AV did recognize his abilities but it didn't seem like he had a #1. It seemed like he always leaned on whoever was playing great at that time. Most of the time it was Edler or Hamhuis. Sometimes it was even Bieksa! With Torts, though, it seems like he had Edler pegged as his #1 guy from the get go and for better or worse will lean on him. All that's left to see is if Edler does make that final step to being a consistent, elite defenseman or not.

The important thing is: the coach is going to put him in that role, rather than wait for eternity to see if he somehow finds that consistency to win the role. Sometimes with some players, you just have to give them the role and that's how they learn it. With other players, they work their way up to it. Edler seems like a guy who maybe will never gain that consistency until he's put in that position where he is the #1 and he has to have that consistency.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I really think Edler has a big year. Torts is just the kind of coach who can bring out the dominant Alex Edler that we've been waiting for.

Me too. I was worried with all of the chatter this summer that we might end up trading him. I think he has a big year as well.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
With the 21st pick of the 1992 entry draft the Vancouver Canucks are proud to select....

First thing I think of when people mention White. The infamous Libor Polasek! :laugh: A guy who failed dramatically in every league he played until he retired.

Tanevian*

First thing I think of when people mention White. The infamous Libor Polasek! :laugh: A guy who failed dramatically in every league he played until he retired.

What made it worse was it seemed so obvious that Valeri Bure was the guy to take.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
What made it worse was it seemed so obvious that Valeri Bure was the guy to take.

Shinkaruk reminds me so much of Valeri. Nerdy little guy with an attitude haha. And the understated little hints of Pavel are kinda similar too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad