Post-Game Talk: Canucks 5 @ Columbus 3 - Honey Badger gives no *****, 4 point night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
[Yt]EIyixC9NsLI[/MEDIA]

shivers.gif

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Didn't watch the first two periods, and caught bits of the 3rd because I was terribly sick, but judging on the 3 minute highlight package Hansen looked good with the Sedins. He's always somehow produced there but usually looked terrible in doing so. He looked like prime Burrows tonight (in 3 minutes of game highlights). Hopefully that can continue, I love me some Hansen.

We might be the most Jekyll and Hyde team ever.

I think the 2010 'Comeback Every Game' Canucks win that title. **** the bed for 40 minutes every game, score 3-4 goals in the 3rd to win.

Last edited:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Willie Desjardin is as bias towards veterans as you can be.

Expect maybe 10 starts for Markstrom

As a discussion point, I suggest Desjardins is riding Miller, just like he rode Lack. Is it a desperation move as he waits for his starter to return? :laugh:

If Markstrom gets hot, I think he'll play. Desjardins believes in the "don't change goalies after a shut-out" adage. He might extend that to include dominant wins? Really, he has no choice. Canucks have been considerably bolstered by superb goaltending and def need it every game. If Miller tires out he has to hope for Markstrom to get hot, faint hope if he doesn't play.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Forwards didn't do a good job of covering. Higgins gambled on the boards.

He was well ahead of the play, one of the forwards has to read that and stay back.

If Willie is encouraging D-men to jump into the play, it's not Bart's fault.

Not true. It isn't just up to forwards read the play and stay back to cover. The D-man has responsibility to make sure that it is happening. One other thing he often does and did last night is join the rush when his partner is already deep in the offensive zone or leading the rush. This cause both guys to sometimes get caught up ice. That type of thing isn't on the forwards. That's on the trailing D-man recognizing his partner is already in danger of getting caught and he needs to needs to be more conservative at that point in time.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Hansen became the father of twins, that year, i'm sure that didn't help his game either.

True, but I'd say it was 90% Torterella, if not more.
The Sedins had their poorest season in 2013-2014, and their ppg hadn't been that low since ten years prior (which were still part of their development years). Same goes for Burrows, whom was expected to decrease in productivity, but not that drastic of a dip.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
True, but I'd say it was 90% Torterella, if not more.
The Sedins had their poorest season in 2013-2014, and their ppg hadn't been that low since ten years prior (which were still part of their development years). Same goes for Burrows, whom was expected to decrease in productivity, but not that drastic of a dip.

I think injuries were a bigger factor. At least for Henrik and Burr.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Hansen is an elite 3rd liner, no doubt about it. Too bad we couldn't use his cap hit as a basis for the *other* bottom 6ers.

Markstrom was real good. Goalie controversy is gonna come up if Willie is serious about making the playoffs.

Tanev noticeably slow but man he is in perfect position to block shots.

Sedins-Hansen. Sedins are a lot more effective with a forechecker. They capitalized on a very poor CBJ defense, those cross crease passes don't make it against a playoff team.

Bae is getting better every game. He needs more freedom to operate in the o-zone. He's basically trapped in his lane of the ice under WD. He looks dynamite when he's crossing thru from RW->LW

I'm not worried about Horvat having a slow year. The skill is still there and he can make individual plays

Vrbata - for all the talk about Benning and having veteran guys to teach rookies why is Vrbata still on this roster? Doesn't look like he's trying...keep earning dem paycheques

Yea, Baerts is definitely looking like more of an East-West player, and less of a North-South. I would seriously consider putting McCann and Baerts on the same line, as their offensive styles are pretty similar, both can pass shoot and skate.

I'd rather Prust than Dorsett on that line, but not sure if he can move to RW.

Vrbata needs to be benched. He is not performing, and it's BS. Kids get benched for a week for playing like he does.

Edler is stringing together a pretty terrible roadtrip, not going to lie. He needs to be taken off the powerplay, specifically.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Guess it's good to get points when you play like absolute garbage. Evens out some missed points earlier in the season that imo we deserved.

Team didn't look good though. Hope the 3rd period comeback is a bit of a spark.

Markstrom wow. Wouldn't mind seeing him play again tomorrow. Miller started to look tired. Give him a longer break, then get into a regular rotation.

Bo - Vrbata should not be a thing at this point. Just don't fit and bring each other down. McCann is looking great. QoC might factor into that, but I'd still like to see him tried with Vrbata.

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
Virtanen-McCann-Vrbata
Higgins-Sutter-Burrows
Baertschi-Horvat-Dorsett

And special teams..OMMFG

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Guess it's good to get points when you play like absolute garbage. Evens out some missed points earlier in the season that imo we deserved.

Team didn't look good though. Hope the 3rd period comeback is a bit of a spark.

Markstrom wow. Wouldn't mind seeing him play again tomorrow. Miller started to look tired. Give him a longer break, then get into a regular rotation.

Bo - Vrbata should not be a thing at this point. Just don't fit and bring each other down. McCann is looking great. QoC might factor into that, but I'd still like to see him tried with Vrbata.

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
Virtanen-McCann-Vrbata
Higgins-Sutter-Burrows
Baertschi-Horvat-Dorsett

And special teams..OMMFG

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Burrows - Sutter - Virtanen
Higgins - Horvat - Dorsett -- checking line. Dorsett sucks though.
Baertschi - McCann - Vrbata -- just pure offense line, **** it.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
@VanCanucks: Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
Burr-Sutter-Virt
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata
Higgins-Cracknell-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Hutton-Bartkowski

91 & 55
I can't ...I just can't deal with WD anymore, HTF can you sit McCann after he had a good game last night while Vrbata who has been useless this whole season continue to be on Bo's line.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Burr-Sutter-Virt
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Hutton-Bartkowski

91 & 55
I can't ...I just can't deal with WD anymore, HTF can you sit McCann after he had a good game last night while Vrbata who has been useless this whole season continue to be on Bo's line.

It's always been part of the plan to rotate the rookies out of the line up. Short term, yeah it sucks because McCann is playing real good. But it will pay off later in the season.

Do hate Bae-Bo-Vrb. #anythingbutBBV

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
Burr-Sutter-Virt
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Hutton-Bartkowski

91 & 55

Wow really. I mean it's nice that we can give the youngsters a rest every once in awhile, but my god not when Vrbatas playing like this. Unless Vrbata has a very productive game against Ottawa he's gotta be benched next game.

Biega in for Weber is kind of a no brainer, especially with how terrible the PP has been.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I don't mind sitting McCann for a game. Rookies might have trouble playing 82 NHL games, no harm in giving them a rest. Plus, McCann has taken a few good bumps so far. Also, if we can keep him under 41(?) games he has an extra year of RFA status I think.

Biega sitting is just silly though. He's earned his spot so many times, I feel bad for the guy to be honest.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Burr-Sutter-Virt
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Hutton-Bartkowski

91 & 55

Just let it go, I couldn't enjoy games knowing WD would be a constant handicap it's the wrost but it will improve.

Just think about how apparently Baertschi under Travis Green looks way better because Travis let's him be as creative as he wants with the puck, Willie system is so strict

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Great to see Markstrom finally get some props around here. Seems like him and Miller should be splitting the the goal time evenly for the next while. Marky needs to continue to develop his NHL confidence, and Miller seems to have reached the point in his career where he needs regular nights off.

Great also to see Hanson rub Torts face in it.

Finally, we might need to consider moving Vrbata for some defensive depth, because we're starting to look mighty thin back there. Thank god Hutton came out of no where, or we'd be hooped.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Burr-Sutter-Virt
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Hutton-Bartkowski

91 & 55

I'm okay with McCann being a healthy scratch here and there. He still has a boy's body and he's not used to the rigorous schedule. He probably needs the extra rest so that he isn't physically done by Spring time.

Not true. It isn't just up to forwards read the play and stay back to cover. The D-man has responsibility to make sure that it is happening. One other thing he often does and did last night is join the rush when his partner is already deep in the offensive zone or leading the rush. This cause both guys to sometimes get caught up ice. That type of thing isn't on the forwards. That's on the trailing D-man recognizing his partner is already in danger of getting caught and he needs to needs to be more conservative at that point in time.

How is it "not true"? It's about as simple as a read can get in hockey and it happens dozens of times every game:

1) Find the puck
2) My D-man has the puck
3) My D-man is ahead of me
4) I'll cover for my D-man until he gets back

If Bartkowski is leading the rush he can't "make sure it doesn't happen" when he's the 1st guy up.

If he's skating into the play with 3 or even 4 teammates already up in there, then that's obviously a problem. But it when comes to that 2-on-1 against yesterday, it was just poor coverage and support.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I don't mind sitting McCann for a game. Rookies might have trouble playing 82 NHL games, no harm in giving them a rest. Plus, McCann has taken a few good bumps so far. Also, if we can keep him under 41(?) games he has an extra year of RFA status I think.

Biega sitting is just silly though. He's earned his spot so many times, I feel bad for the guy to be honest.

Well the 40 game cut off is based on team games while the player is on the active roster, so whether he plays or sits makes no difference.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
How is it "not true"? It's about as simple as a read can get in hockey and it happens dozens of times every game:

1) Find the puck
2) My D-man has the puck
3) My D-man is ahead of me
4) I'll cover for my D-man until he gets back

If Bartkowski is leading the rush he can't "make sure it doesn't happen" when he's the 1st guy up.

If he's skating into the play with 3 or even 4 teammates already up in there, then that's obviously a problem. But it when comes to that 2-on-1 against yesterday, it was just poor coverage and support.

Because it's not true. The dman does have responsibility to make sure the forward will have the ability and time to adequately cover for him and not just blindly assume it will happen.

I never said anything about leading the rush. In that case well yes someone stays back. However several times he joins the rush and leaves no coverage. Often he joins the rush when his partner is leading the rush. He doesn't pick his spots that well. He gets puck and he skates it up. Rush going up ice and he jumps into it. He doesn't make sure coverage is available or able and it is a responsibility.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Because it's not true. The dman does have responsibility to make sure the forward will have the ability and time to adequately cover for him and not just blindly assume it will happen.

I never said anything about leading the rush. In that case well yes someone stays back. However several times he joins the rush and leaves no coverage. Often he joins the rush when his partner is leading the rush. He doesn't pick his spots that well. He gets puck and he skates it up. Rush going up ice and he jumps into it. He doesn't make sure coverage is available or able and it is a responsibility.

In general I agree with you but I was specifically talking about the 2-on-1 against by Columbus after he led the rush because I thought you were referring to it when you said:

"With him on the puck, you're running the risk of a 2 v 1 back the other way."

:P

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
too bad about McCann.. wanted to see him against the Sens. that team is all run and gun. makes no sense to sit McCann for this game. real bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad