Post-Game Talk: Canucks 5 @ Columbus 0 Layeth The Smacketh Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
And be close to matching the Sedins as well. Bonino is doing really well but last season was a cluster for just about everyone on the Canucks roster.

But that poor even strength production wasn't a one off for Kesler. His 5 on 5 production last year was identical to the previous time he played a full season in '11-12. The guy just wasn't very productive at even strength over the last 3 years and I think it was apparent when you looked at his offensive repertoire, or lack thereof. Carry puck through neutral zone, head down with speed, shoot from anywhere... He became too predictable, akin to a poor man's Ovechkin that relied on his shot too much. Beating goalies from outside 25 feet in today's game is very difficult, but that didn't stop Kesler from trying - over and over and over.

Another encouraging aspect when you look at that swap is the PK. It's actually been better without Keeler on it this season. The team seems to have the depth of penalty killing personnel where they're not missing a beat - Bonino being a part of that.

So if your PK isn't effected, and you're creating more offense from that 2C slot with Bonino in Kesler's absence, how big of a loss are we looking at over the next 2-3 years? The additional $3.1mil of cap space sure doesn't hurt either...

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
But that poor even strength production wasn't a one off for Kesler. His 5 on 5 production last year was identical to the previous time he played a full season in '11-12. The guy just wasn't very productive at even strength over the last 3 years and I think it was apparent when you looked at his offensive repertoire, or lack thereof. Carry puck through neutral zone, head down with speed, shoot from anywhere... He became too predictable, akin to a poor man's Ovechkin that relied on his shot too much. Beating goalies from outside 25 feet in today's game is very difficult, but that didn't stop Kesler from trying - over and over and over.

Another encouraging aspect when you look at that swap is the PK. It's actually been better without Keeler on it this season. The team seems to have the depth of penalty killing personnel where they're not missing a beat - Bonino being a part of that.

So if your PK isn't effected, and you're creating more offense from that 2C slot with Bonino in Kesler's absence, how big of a loss are we looking at over the next 2-3 years? The additional $3.1mil of cap space sure doesn't hurt either...

These are good points. Of course, Kesler's even strength defensive play needs to be factored in. Bonino is no chump there, but Kesler is obviously elite in the two-way game. And it will be hard to know how much we miss Kesler until at least the end of this season, I think. Still, all things considered, we have to be thrilled with the Bonino/Sbisa/Mccann return.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
And be close to matching the Sedins as well. Bonino is doing really well but last season was a cluster for just about everyone on the Canucks roster.

Well he's 70% of the way there to Kesler's 11-12 total too, so it's not just something that sprung up last season.

It's especially crazy when you consider how a good number of Kesler's ES points last year came with the Sedins. Kesler only managed 14 5-on-5 points in over 800 minutes without the Sedins. Bonino has 18 5-on-5 points in 280 minutes so far with basically the same linemates Kesler played with.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Well he's 70% of the way there to Kesler's 11-12 total too, so it's not just something that sprung up last season.

It's especially crazy when you consider how a good number of Kesler's ES points last year came with the Sedins. Kesler only managed 14 5-on-5 points in over 800 minutes without the Sedins. Bonino has 18 5-on-5 points in 280 minutes so far with basically the same linemates Kesler played with.

That's an impressive stat!

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
As good as Kesler is, Bonino's game just complements the game Burrows and Higgins both bring IMO, well, at least the way Kesler played last season. Kesler was extremely selfish after the 09/10 and 10/11 seasons. Walking over the blueline and firing the puck into the glass wasn't going to rack up many points for you, and it certainly wasn't going to benefit your linemates.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
As good as Kesler is, Bonino's game just complements the game Burrows and Higgins both bring IMO, well, at least the way Kesler played last season. Kesler was extremely selfish after the 09/10 and 10/11 seasons. Walking over the blueline and firing the puck into the glass wasn't going to rack up many points for you, and it certainly wasn't going to benefit your linemates.

I'm not sure whether Kesler is selfish or just doesn't have the same hockey IQ as Bonino.
Kesler has better skills in that he's faster and stronger than Bonino. But in his 40 goal season he got most of his goals on the PP with great set ups by the Sedins. Kesler has a unique set of tools. I'm just not sure being an elite playmaker is in his tool box.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

At the day of the trade, I wanted nothing to do with Bonino. After watching more of his games last year during the summer, I was more optimistic and so far he's only been exceeding expectations.

Benning said he's a 'distributor of the puck'. I know now that what that means: Kesler is a one-guy line. As good as he is, he forgot he can't do it by himself. Bonino like others have said complements his wingers rather than make them look like they can't hold their own. I know Bonino is probably at his peak here, but what a fantastic hockey player. So glad we got him AND McCann out of the deal.

Also, for the sads...I stopped watch the game midway thru the second because it seemed boring. :shakehead:laugh:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm not sure whether Kesler is selfish or just doesn't have the same hockey IQ as Bonino.
Kesler has better skills in that he's faster and stronger than Bonino. But in his 40 goal season he got most of his goals on the PP with great set ups by the Sedins. Kesler has a unique set of tools. I'm just not sure being an elite playmaker is in his tool box.

I think it's a bit of both; selfishness and lack of hockey IQ. He had 50 assists in 2009/2010, but I don't think that truly represents Kesler's game at all. Kesler is the shooter first and foremost, and that's a big reason alone, why Bonino has been more effective with Burrows/Higgins so far this season because Bonino passes and shoots when he needs/wants too quite evenly.

Bonino quietly racks up three assists in this game. Now, I really only watched the game in segments, so I'm unsure if those assists happened because of him or what, but the fact he was in on three goals says something. At the start of the season, I asked myself how the hell is Bonino effective if he skates quite averagely...his hockey IQ makes up for that.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Thing with Kesler is he showed he can still score even when the team is awful. The "one man army" style allowed him to net 25g last year, pretty impressive when you look at everyone else. Sure he barely had any assists, especially near the end, but who else scored? Hard to get assists when you're the only goal scorer. He may not be a playmaker 1st, but he does create a lot of chances. The puck is always bouncing around the net when he's on the ice, plenty of opportunity for linemates. Problem was we often straddled him with guys that couldn't finish in close. Higgins and Hansen would often shoot wide or fail to lift the puck up in tight. Especially vs the faster larger teams. He's a pretty decent passer as well, think after the trade a lot of people are rewriting how he played last season. I didn't think he was overly selfish at all after his injured and obviously frustrated season post cup run.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Thing with Kesler is he showed he can still score even when the team is awful. The "one man army" style allowed him to net 25g last year, pretty impressive when you look at everyone else. Sure he barely had any assists, especially near the end, but who else scored? Hard to get assists when you're the only goal scorer. He may not be a playmaker 1st, but he does create a lot of chances. The puck is always bouncing around the net when he's on the ice, plenty of opportunity for linemates. Problem was we often straddled him with guys that couldn't finish in close. Higgins and Hansen would often shoot wide or fail to lift the puck up in tight. Especially vs the faster larger teams. He's a pretty decent passer as well, think after the trade a lot of people are rewriting how he played last season. I didn't think he was overly selfish at all after his injured and obviously frustrated season post cup run.

And yet those same players: Burrows and Higgins and Hansen who can't finish are all having great seasons playing with other centres. Something doesn't add up.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
And yet those same players: Burrows and Higgins and Hansen who can't finish are all having great seasons playing with other centres. Something doesn't add up.

A lot has changed this year. Many guys are simply playing better as individuals, some are healthier too. While things may work better for certain guys right now, not gonna say it was Keslers fault they didn't before. Plenty of success was had with him, and that seems to be continuing for Kes and friends in Duckville. Higgins was having a pretty good year until the team went to crap last season. Hansen and Burr had early injuries. A lotta factors at work. Not even Hank could turn things around when coming back from injury after a monster start.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
damn higgins and burrows bringing down great centre after great centre

imagine what would've happened if we gave kesler some great players to play with

he probably could've actually outscored higgins at even strength for once

TLinden

Benning gonnaBenning
Nov 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Nailed it. I loved Kesler's game up until 2012. At this point, I'm not sure if it was mental thing, or a coaching thing, but his game was altered to become the focal point, to be an offensive cog. I don't think he has the skillset or hockey IQ to do that. He was at his best as a two-way center with the talent and mindset to use the entire line to wear down the opponent, then use take advantage of that offensively. He still plays wreckless, pedal to the floor hockey, and it results in scoring chances, but he does it on his own, instead of doing it with his linemates.

This season has shown that there is a lot of skill in forwards of the Canucks, but Kesler wasn't the right fit for the type of game they require to produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad