Post-Game Talk: Canucks 5 @ Columbus 0 Layeth The Smacketh Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk8er

Nov 8, 2008
You do know St. Louis got his 1000th point tonight right?

Well aware of it. I just thought the three star selection was for what occurred during the particular game just played....not something that took a career to achieve, impressive as it may be.

arsmaster*

so, Miller gets a shut out, but doesnt warrant a three star selection from NHl. Bonino has three assists, no mention, St Louis with a goal and assist gets first star and I cant even remember the names of the other two.........:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:rant:

Bonino picked up some points which was great but it's not like they were of the cutting edge variety. His nicest pass was on the empty netter.

I'm not knocking him because it takes skill and know how to hit the scoresheet but the bixscore doesn't tell the story.

That wasn't even close to bonino's best game for us.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
People actually about the 3 stars? I'm sure Bonino and Miller are very upset their headshot isn't on NHL.com for 24 hours

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Well aware of it. I just thought the three star selection was for what occurred during the particular game just played....not something that took a career to achieve, impressive as it may be.

Gretzky was selected as all 3 stars after his last game. It's not something to be taken too seriously.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014

There's your problem.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not a terribly good performance. Scoreline doesn't reflect the play - we were probably 2nd best through 40 minutes in terms of chances and run of play, but a struggling Columbus team just collapsed once they were behind.

- Miller was very good. Probably his best performance of the season outside of the San Jose game. Our best player tonight.

- Edler-Tanev weren't quite as airtight as usual but did their jobs in the end.

- Bieksa-Sbisa were good although I actually thought they were better in the NJ game. Bieksa had some iffy moments but is definitely skating better and driving possession more than earlier in the season. Sbisa's outlet passing is still cringe-worthy but the coaches have somehow done the impossible and have him playing conservatively and not charging out of position to concede odd-man rushes. Doing a good job right now.

- Stanton is starting to look better, had another solid game. Weber was a bit wobbly tonight though.

- actually thought the Sedin line was quite poor tonight. Few chances and one of their worst defensive games. Vrbata invisible outside of the one brilliant pass.

- 2nd line our best again, especially Burrows. Bonino was solid but not as good as the 3 points would indicate.

- Matthias carried the 3rd line tonight, continuing to play well. Richardson had a good 3rd period but thought he struggled earlier in the game. Vey doesn't look like an NHL player right now and the amount of icetime he received relative to Hansen in particular is ridiculous.

- 4th line was solid. Shame Horvat didn't bury that one chance. Team needs to get Hansen more than 10 minutes given his recent play.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
I've always thought this. If goalie wins were so damn important, Fleury would be seen as the best goalie in the league.

You've always thought this?

Wins are important. Always have been and always will be. Ask a goalie.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Bonino picked up some points which was great but it's not like they were of the cutting edge variety. His nicest pass was on the empty netter.

I'm not knocking him because it takes skill and know how to hit the scoresheet but the bixscore doesn't tell the story.

That wasn't even close to bonino's best game for us.

Agree. You really have to watch Bonino closely to see what a smart player he is both offensively and defensively. A little bit of Henrik in him. He does those subtle things that you don't notice and somehow ends up with points at the end of the night. No wonder Ducks fans were choked to lose this guy. It will be interesting to see what his ceiling is. Right now his even strength point production is at a first line level.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You've always thought this?

Wins are important. Always have been and always will be. Ask a goalie.

Agreed.
And there is nothing wrong with Fleury in the regular season. It's the playoffs where he struggled.
Anyways it's not really a great comparison as Miller doesn't have Crosby and Malkin playing in front of him and we aren't really considered a powerhouse team.

arsmaster*

- Matthias carried the 3rd line tonight, continuing to play well. Richardson had a good 3rd period but thought he struggled earlier in the game. Vey doesn't look like an NHL player right now and the amount of icetime he received relative to Hansen in particular is ridiculous.

- 4th line was solid. Shame Horvat didn't bury that one chance. Team needs to get Hansen more than 10 minutes given his recent play.

Touched on this last night. But the reason WD can afford to role 4 lines is that Hansen is on the 4th line.

Vey's play warranted a demotion and hansen's a promotion but then what happens to Horvat and Dorsett if vey gets dropped to that line? We become a 3 line attack because you it's quite clear a line with vey and Horvat won't be trusted by our coach at this time.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
Touched on this last night. But the reason WD can afford to role 4 lines is that Hansen is on the 4th line.

Vey's play warranted a demotion and hansen's a promotion but then what happens to Horvat and Dorsett if vey gets dropped to that line? We become a 3 line attack because you it's quite clear a line with vey and Horvat won't be trusted by our coach at this time.

this problem would be solved once willie realizes richardson is best suited for a 4th line game and really shouldn't be playing significant minutes over horvat unless bo looks like he's really struggling

then they could move horvat and hansen up with matthias, and we'd still have a solid grinding 4th line with richardson and dorsett

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I'm not necessarily saying to juggle the lines.

But when you have a red-hot Hansen as NHL player of the week, you have to find a way to get him more than 10 minutes. Whether thats from double- shifting him in Vey's spot a few times, extra special teams time, or whatever.

Even playing the 4th line as the 3rd line would make sense given that Horvat also looks better than Richardson lately.

arsmaster*

this problem would be solved once willie realizes richardson is best suited for a 4th line game and really shouldn't be playing significant minutes over horvat unless bo looks like he's really struggling

then they could move horvat and hansen up with matthias, and we'd still have a solid grinding 4th line with richardson and dorsett

I get the impression Horvat is going to be on a short leash for a while yet but I agree.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Agree. You really have to watch Bonino closely to see what a smart player he is both offensively and defensively. A little bit of Henrik in him. He does those subtle things that you don't notice and somehow ends up with points at the end of the night. No wonder Ducks fans were choked to lose this guy. It will be interesting to see what his ceiling is. Right now his even strength point production is at a first line level.

He's 2nd in the entire NHL in even strength points. He's not just producing at a 1st line level, he's producing at an elite 1st line level.

Don't think I've ever seen a player facilitate this much offense without ever needing the puck on his stick. Such a unique offensive player in that as soon as he gets the puck, he unloads it immediately, virtually always making the perfect play. Somehow he manages to only hold onto the puck for about 15 seconds a game, yet is involved in a handful of high quality scoring chances almost every night. His offensive game is essentially the polar opposite of Ryan Kesler's.

Would love to see how Bonino looks with a lethal one shot scorer on his wing. Hopefully Virtanen can be that player.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I'm not necessarily saying to juggle the lines.

But when you have a red-hot Hansen as NHL player of the week, you have to find a way to get him more than 10 minutes. Whether thats from double- shifting him in Vey's spot a few times, extra special teams time, or whatever.

Even playing the 4th line as the 3rd line would make sense given that Horvat also looks better than Richardson lately.

I wouldn't be too concerned about Hansen's minutes.

I'd assume he's most effective when playing 3rd/4th line minutes because he does his damage in explosive bursts.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
At his current ES point pace, Bonino is set to match Kesler's output from all of last year by game 31.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He's 2nd in the entire NHL in even strength points. He's not just producing at a 1st line level, he's producing at an elite 1st line level.

Don't think I've ever seen a player facilitate this much offense without ever needing the puck on his stick. Such a unique offensive player in that as soon as he gets the puck, he unloads it immediately, virtually always making the perfect play. Somehow he manages to only hold onto the puck for about 15 seconds a game, yet is involved in a handful of high quality scoring chances almost every night. His offensive game is essentially the polar opposite of Ryan Kesler's.

Would love to see how Bonino looks with a lethal one shot scorer on his wing. Hopefully Virtanen can be that player.

It would be interesting to put him with a sniper for sure.
Chemistry is a funny thing though and he really has that with Higgins and Burrows neither of which are really elite scorers but hard workers who can score 20 goals.
His even strength numbers given that he's not playing with an elite player like Giroux for example are remarkable. I'd like to try him on the first power play. I know it would be loading up the first unit but he has a sneaky shot that could work there.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
At his current ES point pace, Bonino is set to match Kesler's output from all of last year by game 31.

And be close to matching the Sedins as well. Bonino is doing really well but last season was a cluster for just about everyone on the Canucks roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad