Post-Game Talk: Canucks 4, Wild 2: The Minnesota Kid purifies the Wild in Lake Minnetonka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
i bet they would. spanking 1st place teams proves that

only reason were doing so bad is worst coach in the nhl

Um, even bottom feeders win *some* games... beating a struggling Minni team that started their backup doesn't prove a ton... love your unabashed enthusiasm & loyalty though. Keep on trucking. We'll see what happens when the inevitable occurs & Willie is turfed

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Boucher reminds me of Kyle Wellwood. Small, weak on the puck, not terribly fast, defensively suspected, loathed by coach, absolutely lethal around the net.

Boeser played a less eventful game than his stat line suggests but he did well to clean up Horvat's garbage and to even keep his legs moving considering the circumstances of the game. Nice hard shot. Like Goldobin, I'd like to see what he can do on the powerplay.

Speaking of Goldobin...not his best outing. Looked like he was drifting around out there. Whatever magic was worked to get Baertschi chugging around and battling for pucks needs to be sprinkled on Goldobin and Boucher.

Bachman deserved a SO and was easily the game's best player. The guy has been lights out in his starts this season.

I thought Stetcher had a phenomenal game. He was all over the ice.

Sedins looked utterly gassed and seemed to be skating in quicksand for much of the game. It's possible they're just mailing it in now that the team is officially eliminated, so I won't put a lot of stock in it, but that first power play unit was woeful and the difference between the two units was stark. Willie leaning on them so hard as the game went on in the third probably cost poor Bachman his shutout.

It appears Chaput is the new Megna. I feel a bit bad for these AHL/NHL tweeners who become the focus of fan ire because our walnut of a coach cannot bring himself to stop playing them.

Feel terrible for Skille. Guy was playing well. He's been a serviceable 4th liner this year and occasionally shows glimpses of his draft pedigree. The guy is in that journeyman stage of his career where hunting down a new contract each season is of paramount importance and having his leg blown up late in a season cannot be helpful.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
i bet they would. spanking 1st place teams proves that

only reason were doing so bad is worst coach in the nhl

I sincerely disagree.

WD is a piece of sh!t of a coach who should not be allowed to be within 100 miles radius of any NHL team. But this team's roster isn't strong. When all the stars align this team is a bubble team whose chance to make playoffs is probably about 33%. We beat Wild, sure, anything can happen in a game.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Baertchi's kick pass to Horvat though.

Horvat's speed and net drive though.

Boeser's smarts to drive the net and bury the rebound though.

That Baertschi kick pass was the highlight of the night, perhaps a top 10 play of the season for us. Gives me confidence in him being a full time 2nd line winger, perhaps even a lower tier 1st line winger of the future for us...

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I sincerely disagree.

WD is a piece of sh!t of a coach who should not be allowed to be within 100 miles radius of any NHL team. But this team's roster isn't strong. When all the stars align this team is a bubble team whose chance to make playoffs is probably about 33%. We beat Wild, sure, anything can happen in a game.

and the crapppy roster canbeat any team any night

they dont becuase of willie

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
The sedins need to be split next season if they are going to play out the year here. They are too slow together. That line continues to struggle in the dzone.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
You do realize that they are under contract. What are they going to do if they are deployed as the second line, quit and throw away all that dough? They are the definition of professionals. That's what I read every day. If that is so, I'm sure they realize it's time to step aside for the youth and still contribute in every way they can and being deployed against a weaker group could only improve their chances.

That's fine, stay, but they need to play 2nd/3rd line minutes and take the "mentor-ship" role.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Because he's not a guaranteed part of the Canucks next core like the other players mentioned are.

He certainly fits onto the roster better than Skille, Megna and Chaput and his offensive skill set surpasses any forwards in the pipeline. Maybe working with a guy's weaknesses is a better idea than icing guys who have the ability to hold there own while not producing anything above that. He has shown in very limited opportunities that he has what can't be taught, the ability to score. What he is lacking can be taught. Willie is just such a cement head who won't take the chance to teach what he recognizes is missing.

This team has no where to go for the rest of this season. Playing Goldobin and Boucher every 4th shift on the lines they start with, regardless of the outcomes, while heavily coaching 'em up after every shift is the obvious way to go here. They have a perfect situation in which to let them learn. Mistakes don't matter because you can't finish any worse than a better draft choice.

Teach, teach, teach while under fire in an NHL environment where the mistakes don't matter because you have nothing to lose. There is no better way to get 'er done because the consequences of their errors are zilch. They merely serve as teaching moments. It couldn't get any better.

You also get to find out if they are capable of learning. If they turn out to be unteachable, that is also invaluable info. Now you know they have to go and you can do it before next season begins rather than finding out the worst about them way into the season.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Stetcher put in some serious work tonight also.

His board battles is what separates him and Subban

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

They CAN, doesn't mean they will. It's about consistency. Throw this time in a playoff series right now vs any of the playoff ready teams and they will likely tear us to pieces in no more than 5 games.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

My Gawd, Boucher!!....as Danny Gallivan used to say, he has a 'cannonading' shot....even if Willie benches him and hates him as a hockey player, that shot alone should give him on a future the pp.....guy's wrister is world-class....nick pickup by Jimbo....can understand why the Devils were loathe to let him go.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He certainly fits onto the roster better than Skille, Megna and Chaput and his offensive skill set surpasses any forwards in the pipeline. Maybe working with a guy's weaknesses is a better idea than icing guys who have the ability to hold there own while not producing anything above that. He has shown in very limited opportunities that he has what can't be taught. the ability to score. What he is lacking can be taught.

I don't disagree.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Stetcher put in some serious work tonight also.

His board battles is what separates him and Subban

I noticed this too he had one of his best games which is super encouraging considering hes use to a less intense college season schedule

member 202355

The sedins need to be split next season if they are going to play out the year here. They are too slow together. That line continues to struggle in the dzone.

So you want them to bring down two lines?

#teamtank

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Nice to have a reason to make time for a Canucks game.

- Happy for Boeser to pot one in front of his family in his first NHL game. Best story of the season. Bo and Sven definitely seemed to have some extra spark playing with him rather than Megna or whoever.

- Tough to see Skille get hurt like that. Hope he's okay. Deserves a contract somewhere next year.

- The Sedins had that unreal passing play late in the third...and were generally pretty poor otherwise. Chaput is being unfairly hate on here, but there is no world where he should be playing 19+ minutes.

- Thought Stecher looked better than I've seen him recently. Hutton has done a total 180 since earlier in the year when he was anchored to Gudbranson.

- Reid Boucher could make it as an NHL player. He has the shot and the vision. Even if he's never a bonafide top-6 guy, this is the type of player I want sprinkled through the bottom-6. I don't care if Megna gives a coach more stability. Boucher absolutely needs to be given the same shot next year that Etem was given at the start of this season.

- Tough to see Bachman lose the shutout, but I don't know if I agree with others that he'd be a real option as the backup next year. Would rather have that goaltending depth in Utica in case Demko goes through a cold stretch (which happens to 22 year old goalies...) This is also of course taking into account that Plan A is to have Ryan Miller re-signed. Would certainly much, much rather see Bachman as the backup than a 5x more expensive Mason/Bishop option to split time with Markstrom, but don't think it's realistic. Would rather target a Greiss/Neuvirth type for cheap.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Boucher reminds me of Kyle Wellwood. Small, weak on the puck, not terribly fast, defensively suspected, loathed by coach, absolutely lethal around the net.

Boeser played a less eventful game than his stat line suggests but he did well to clean up Horvat's garbage and to even keep his legs moving considering the circumstances of the game. Nice hard shot. Like Goldobin, I'd like to see what he can do on the powerplay.

Speaking of Goldobin...not his best outing. Looked like he was drifting around out there. Whatever magic was worked to get Baertschi chugging around and battling for pucks needs to be sprinkled on Goldobin and Boucher.

Bachman deserved a SO and was easily the game's best player. The guy has been lights out in his starts this season.

I thought Stetcher had a phenomenal game. He was all over the ice.

Sedins looked utterly gassed and seemed to be skating in quicksand for much of the game. It's possible they're just mailing it in now that the team is officially eliminated, so I won't put a lot of stock in it, but that first power play unit was woeful and the difference between the two units was stark. Willie leaning on them so hard as the game went on in the third probably cost poor Bachman his shutout.

It appears Chaput is the new Megna. I feel a bit bad for these AHL/NHL tweeners who become the focus of fan ire because our walnut of a coach cannot bring himself to stop playing them.

Feel terrible for Skille. Guy was playing well. He's been a serviceable 4th liner this year and occasionally shows glimpses of his draft pedigree. The guy is in that journeyman stage of his career where hunting down a new contract each season is of paramount importance and having his leg blown up late in a season cannot be helpful.

Agreed with all this, great post.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Bachman with three solid outings.....just goes to show how foolish it was for Willie to trot out Ryan Miller night after night....but I guess Markstrom is back in the lineup, so that's likely it for Bachman.

But just a great foot-soldier to have as depth in the organization. Under contract for the coming year.....I'd be comfortable with a tandem of Markstrom-Bachman next year...if Miller and his agent wants a two-year contract, they should pass.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
y'all remember the beginning of Backdraft? Kurt Russell was the veteran fire fighter showing Billy Baldwin how to properly suit up. At the end, Billy Baldwin had become the veteran and he shows the new guy how to properly suit up in the exact same way Kurt Russell showed him. That's the Sedins now. The Sedins are Billy Baldwin.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
y'all remember the beginning of Backdraft? Kurt Russell was the veteran fire fighter showing Billy Baldwin how to properly suit up. At the end, Billy Baldwin had become the veteran and he shows the new guy how to properly suit up in the exact same way Kurt Russell showed him. That's the Sedins now. The Sedins are Billy Baldwin.

Yes, that is exactly what I think of when I watch the Sedins.

I think of the 1991 firefighting film, Backdraft.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express

I'm really starting to wonder if it's in their contract not to be split up. I know Willy only has half a brain but c'mon! Willy's job is to win as many games as possible but they are defensive liabilities together and it's obvious that their talent needs to be spread throughout the line up.

:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad