Post-Game Talk: Canucks 4 - Arrrrrroooooooooooo 3 || Caucks win in Regulation, that's 2spooky4me

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Is this real life?

He's been...good...in the playoffs? :dunno:

I'm fine with keeping Higgins as a depth body in the bottom 6, but hopefully just on the fourth line. Replacing the Higgy's of the world with very good rookies is something we should have been doing long ago. 11 games is a big enough sample size for me, McCann and Virtanen are making the on-ice product better, Higgins is expendable.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

I'm fine with keeping Higgins as a depth body in the bottom 6, but hopefully just on the fourth line. Replacing the Higgy's of the world with very good rookies is something we should have been doing long ago. 11 games is a big enough sample size for me, McCann and Virtanen are making the on-ice product better, Higgins is expendable.

It's the waived part and the samples involved which I take issue with. I'd sooner waive Prust.

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
Interesting little bit late in the third, yotes had a offensive zone faceoff with Tanev and Edler on the ice but he didn't pull till we changed them for Sbisa-Bart. I really hope I never see that pairing ever again.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Hilarious

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Virtanen being better than Higgins is laughable

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.

You cant just dump core players and replace them with rookies. Should have 1-3 rookies in the lineup. Any more and youre asking for an Edmonton/Colorado situation where you have all these kids and no one to teach them anything.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
No way do I want Higgins replacing Virtanen. Higgs has had countless chances, shows us time and time again that when games get tough he can't cut it. Theres no room for him to improve, even if he'd produce more this year, Ill take a season of Virtanen wrecking fools and getting some experience. I certainly don't want him going back to punking kids.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
You cant just dump core players and replace them with rookies. Should have 1-3 rookies in the lineup. Any more and youre asking for an Edmonton/Colorado situation where you have all these kids and no one to teach them anything.

I agree, except Higgins is not a god forsaken core player. We do have vet's here teaching the kids things - they've mentioned how good guys like the Sedins, Burrows, Hamhuis, Dors n Prustie etc. are at that. We're not a Edmonton or Colorado.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Higgins is a great untility player. If youth was truly pushing him out then deal him but it's not. Virtanen is showing that he needs another year in junior.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Even with 5-6 rookies or young players we are still a long ways away from an Edmonton environment which is, realistically, the biggest mess of a team (over its run from 2010-15) that the NHL has seen in the last 30-40 years. It takes a lot to get to that level of dysfunction.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Love that Virtanen is bringing an element to the team that no one else is. His combination of speed and physicality had earned him a chance. Hopefully they are shopping some of the vets.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Love that Virtanen is bringing an element to the team that no one else is. His combination of speed and physicality had earned him a chance. Hopefully they are shopping some of the vets.

I'd honestly rather see Virtanen stick around than put Higgins back in for him. I really like how he's blowing people up at 19; imagine when he fills out more.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I'd honestly rather see Virtanen stick around than put Higgins back in for him. I really like how he's blowing people up at 19; imagine when he fills out more.

I think Virtanen's a small part but still a part of the improved team speed the Canucks have shown at the start.

I still think they need a Dman who's able to push the puck forward at a more aggressive pace but I like the way the team has played with speed pretty consistently so far.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think Virtanen's a small part but still a part of the improved team speed the Canucks have shown at the start.

I still think they need a Dman who's able to push the puck forward at a more aggressive pace but I like the way the team has played with speed pretty consistently so far.

they have one in bartkowski

problem is that's the only thing he knows how to do is skate the puck up the neutral zone

otherwise he's the most useless player in the league

not surprising to me that sbisa is playing better now with him having the lowest ice time among the defense core

and by better, i mean better than his last season

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
Sven that's going to be replaced by Higgins when fully healthy on the 3rd line with Horvat + Hansen.

And most of you were talking about putting Virtanen in juniors where you clearly don't know we lacked in a Right Hand shooter options and trying to get a left hand shooter to replace him if he goes down. No to Hansen, no to Dorsett, they aren't top 6 but either is Jake, however he hits like one and skates like one...shoots like one once he gets the confidence down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Sven that's going to be replaced by Higgins when fully healthy on the 3rd line with Horvat + Hansen.

And most of you were talking about putting Virtanen in juniors where you clearly don't know we lacked in a Right Hand shooter options and trying to get a left hand shooter to replace him if he goes down. No to Hansen, no to Dorsett, they aren't top 6 but either is Jake, however he hits like one and skates like one...shoots like one once he gets the confidence down.

At no point during this post did you make any sense other than when you mentioned the obvious of Higgins replacing Sven, or I guess technically Gaunce. When Prust gets back is the issue. If you're going to think of yourself so above HF Canucks then at least post something even remotely insightful.

I guess you also know that Jake is right-handed so :thumbu:

Last edited by a moderator:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Even with 5-6 rookies or young players we are still a long ways away from an Edmonton environment which is, realistically, the biggest mess of a team (over its run from 2010-15) that the NHL has seen in the last 30-40 years. It takes a lot to get to that level of dysfunction.

Edmonton's problem was the core was the rookies. This team could carry 5-6 young players, there will loses to mistakes but that isn't going to matter to the health of the team there are still high quality players (We won't have a Schultz on the 1st pairing etc).

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
People who are complaining about Higgins are way off base. I don't understand how they come up with this ********.

Due to injury, the guy hasn't played a game with us all season, so we have to go with what he has done with us in the past. Over the years, he has been a solid forward who has played many a tough minute for us. He's produced pretty well for his contract, but unfortunately we've been stuck using him on the second line. However, that can hardly be held against the guy.

We can say all we want that Higgins is replaceable because of the youth that has surfaced, but that doesn't make it true. These younger players may more appropriately fill top 6 spots on the roster, but keeping Higgins in the bottom 6 makes for outstanding depth and allows us to spread out the youth, which seems to be the soundest way to deploy them.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Sutter - Virtanen
Higgins - Horvat - Hansen
Baertschi - McCann - Dorsett
Cracknell (Prust injured)

Is what I would go with in an event where Higgins returns and Prust remains injured.

Baertschi's usefulness to this roster is now to be measured against the likes of Higgins, Prust, and Dorsett. He is falling away. However, a skilled center like McCann allows for him to play in the bottom 6 without wasting his skillset alongside grinders.

I think we need to wait until the trade deadline to move players. We don't have other holes to fill at the moment, as upgrading the defense seems unlikely (just signed Bart, extended Sbisa, so they wont be upgraded on), so we are likely looking at picks in return for these players. In that case, you wait for the trade deadline.

If we send either, or both, of Virtanen/McCann to the WJC, we have depth to fill in their spots. There is no need to trade depth away just because we fans seem to think that we should.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Edmonton's problem was the core was the rookies. This team could carry 5-6 young players, there will loses to mistakes but that isn't going to matter to the health of the team there are still high quality players (We won't have a Schultz on the 1st pairing etc).

Well, Hutton could probably qualify for first pairing, but that's different :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad