Post-Game Talk: Canucks 4 - Arrrrrroooooooooooo 3 || Caucks win in Regulation, that's 2spooky4me

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Yeah, I honestly don't get the hatred towards Vrbata. He's playing really well, even strength points will come as he a ridiculously low on ice shooting%.

I mean it's fair to argue that Burrows may actually be our 3rd most valuable forward behind the Sedins, but suggesting that Vrbata is useless is hilarious.

Something Something he doesn't care....

:dunno:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Yeah, I honestly don't get the hatred towards Vrbata. He's playing really well, even strength points will come as he a ridiculously low on ice shooting%.

I mean it's fair to argue that Burrows may actually be our 3rd most valuable forward behind the Sedins, but suggesting that Vrbata is useless is hilarious.

To be fair, the people who consider him useless have no idea what on-ice sh% means and how it works.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Somewhat disappointing performance. Got staked to a 3-0 lead thanks to awful goaltending, and should have had an opportunity for a laugher against this bad team. Instead let them back into it and nearly blew it.

- Sedins had another strong game, carrying the team offensively right now. Surprised at the criticism of Vrbata who I thought was excellent and probably out most dangerous forward.

- Horvat had easily his best game of the season, really good to see. Has looked stiff and mechanical, nice to see him get some flow/confidence back and challenge defenders. May have also helped to not be dragging around the insipid Baertschi. Gaunce was an upgrade on that line and a more responsible player. Actually goes to tough areas of the ice.

- Sutter had a pretty awful game. Obviously made an uncharacteristic poor play on the 4-3 goal, but was having awful touches offensively all night especially on the PP, play just died on his stick. Burrows is skating really well and carried that line.

- Virtanen had a bit of a struggle. Needs a big effort in his next game to stay up. Defensive positioning was a problem tonight.

- McCann has surely made the team. Need to get his shot on the PP.

- Cracknell had a fine game, very positive impact.

- Edler-Tanev excellent again. Really hoped we'd see an offensive breakthrough from Tanev but it isn't happening.

- Hutton good again, even in a game where Weber was having a bit of an adventure.

- Sbisa-Bartkowski actually had a good first period, with Sbisa picking up a couple 2nd assists. Then were an absolute catastrophe the rest of the way - pinned in their zone almost every shift, turnovers, terrible coverage, lost battles. Did everything in their power to give this game away. Just awful.

- Bachman did a good job. Always great to win with your 3rd string goalie in net.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Gaunce has turned himself into a really effective winger. He's big, strong, smart and gets around really well. He and Horvat complement each other, I can see that duo getting a lot of play in the coming years.

Dorsett made a big play in this game to draw a penalty when the Coyotes made it 3-2 late in the 2nd.

Hutton looks better with Sbisa than he does Weber.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Gaunce has turned himself into a really effective winger. He's big, strong, smart and gets around really well. He and Horvat complement each other, I can see that duo getting a lot of play in the coming years.

Dorsett made a big play in this game to draw a penalty when the Coyotes made it 3-2 late in the 2nd.

Hutton looks better with Sbisa than he does Weber.

Yeah I was shocked at how improved his skating was.

And I agree, Pizza Hutt is the better option.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Pizza hutt is the greatest name for a line ever and its not even close.

Not even considering aqualini owns pizza hut

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I believe the Canucks' advanced stats weren't great last year nor this year either.

Well that isn't shocking. Plus no one has been screaming UNSUSTAINABLE from a Canucks fan perspective lol, so lol at the flames

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
So we've had the lead now going into the 3rd period in 8 of 11 games. Obviously need to get things dialed in as far as closing games out goes, but still a positive sign.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
id be much more angry about burr playing against us tbh

Me too and also i dont ever remember linden playing for us lol but i remember hearing all the noise about him. And Burr was always my fave player and the first game i ever went to was game 7 against the hawks when he scored the OT winner so im biased :)

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I don't want McCann on the 4th line, he has 5 goals ffs

Usually I'm not a fan of skill prospects getting 4th line minutes, but on this team it looks like a good spot for him. Prust and Cracknell are actually hockey players and not Sestito-esque dead weight, and if anyone takes a run at McCann there's always someone on the ice with his back. There's no rush to move him up the lines just yet. That said, I'd like to see him on the second PP.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Usually I'm not a fan of skill prospects getting 4th line minutes, but on this team it looks like a good spot for him. Prust and Cracknell are actually hockey players and not Sestito-esque dead weight, and if anyone takes a run at McCann there's always someone on the ice with his back. There's no rush to move him up the lines just yet. That said, I'd like to see him on the second PP.

I actually thought last night, if the 3 goal lead had held up into the middle of the 3rd period it might have been a good time to send a message to the Yotes. There were a lot of cross checks, an elbow and several hard slashes on our young guys that went uncalled.

Next time we play the Yotes I hope Hanzal is in the game for some payback.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
20 back in the lineup Wednesday vs the Pens. The much discussed Crosby v Higgins rivalry will bring TV ratings like its the Seinfeld finale.
imgext.php

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
MS;108810705[B said:
]Somewhat disappointing performance. Got staked to a 3-0 lead thanks to awful goaltending, and should have had an opportunity for a laugher against this bad team. Instead let them back into it and nearly blew it. [/B]

- Sedins had another strong game, carrying the team offensively right now. Surprised at the criticism of Vrbata who I thought was excellent and probably out most dangerous forward.

- Horvat had easily his best game of the season, really good to see. Has looked stiff and mechanical, nice to see him get some flow/confidence back and challenge defenders. May have also helped to not be dragging around the insipid Baertschi. Gaunce was an upgrade on that line and a more responsible player. Actually goes to tough areas of the ice.

- Sutter had a pretty awful game. Obviously made an uncharacteristic poor play on the 4-3 goal, but was having awful touches offensively all night especially on the PP, play just died on his stick. Burrows is skating really well and carried that line.

- Virtanen had a bit of a struggle. Needs a big effort in his next game to stay up. Defensive positioning was a problem tonight.

- McCann has surely made the team. Need to get his shot on the PP.

- Cracknell had a fine game, very positive impact.

- Edler-Tanev excellent again. Really hoped we'd see an offensive breakthrough from Tanev but it isn't happening.

- Hutton good again, even in a game where Weber was having a bit of an adventure.

- Sbisa-Bartkowski actually had a good first period, with Sbisa picking up a couple 2nd assists. Then were an absolute catastrophe the rest of the way - pinned in their zone almost every shift, turnovers, terrible coverage, lost battles. Did everything in their power to give this game away. Just awful.

- Bachman did a good job. Always great to win with your 3rd string goalie in net.

I wouldn't be too hard on the boys....Canucks were playing their third game in four nights with lots of travel in between...figured to run out of gas in the third period...I can deal with the Sbisa-Bartkowski combo, but why in the world does Willie have them out in the last minute of periods and in the final minute of the third period?....thank God for a play stoppage with 40 seconds left and he managed to make a change...another question....does Willie ever call time-outs to rest his best defensive pair for the last minute?...truly pitiful coaching imo.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Don't forget absolutely jack-all in the playoffs. Hopefully Higgins is waived.

Higgins is a great guy to have insulating the young guys. I think Virtanen has played very well given his current development, but he should absolutely be sent down. Why settle for a 3rd line crash and banger when Virtanen could be a top 6 pf if we develop him properly?

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Higgins is a great guy to have insulating the young guys. I think Virtanen has played very well given his current development, but he should absolutely be sent down. Why settle for a 3rd line crash and banger when Virtanen could be a top 6 pf if we develop him properly?

Virtanen has had like 24 minutes of ice time through his first 4 games

Looked a little timid, physically looked wildly stronger than anything a person could dream of, already freight training grown men as a 19 yr old.

2 assist in 8 even +/- 29 hits

I wish he had 2 goals as well, but he had chances and just fumbled the puck.

No reason to send him down if he can tread water and make such an impact physically. The game will slow down for him.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Burrows on pace for 60 points. Wonder how well he keeps it up. I love Burrows, but I figured he was done as a top 6 guy and was going to be more of a 3rd line shutdown guy at this stage in his career. Glad to see him putting up points, with guys like Sutter and Virtanen no less

Burrows has been looking great. He's had a lot of the Sedins' game rub off on him over the years, and because of it he is a takeaway machine. He has that extra step that the Sedins don't have, and uses his stick to knock away passes in-close. In this regard he is third on the team behind only the twins.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Virtanen has had like 24 minutes of ice time through his first 4 games

Looked a little timid, physically looked wildly stronger than anything a person could dream of, already freight training grown men as a 19 yr old.

2 assist in 8 even +/- 29 hits

I wish he had 2 goals as well, but he had chances and just fumbled the puck.

No reason to send him down if he can tread water and make such an impact physically. The game will slow down for him.

The thing is, I'd rather he wasn't just treading water. Right now he seems overly concerned with throwing big hits, and while that's great, it's more the type of game mentality you would want from a player like Ferland. He needs to be focused on making plays first, hits second, and another year in juniors will be the best way to accomplish that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad