Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 @ Wild 2 || 2010 Flashback: Daniel 4th in scoring and we won in Minny

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Some really interesting thoughts here.

Miller - gave them a chance after a slow start by the team. Canucks still have major problems clearing the front of the net and Miller had to be very sharp to fight thru screens to track the puck. Made some critical saves throughout. Elite player and understands the game. You can see why, at times, he gets bummed out by some of the defensive work of his d-men

The bolded in particular is interesting to me. I get the same sort of impression from Miller. I think he's a true "student of the game", he's a very "smart" goaltender who has a very strong grasp on the game going on around him. Not just a shot-blocker in net, but a guy who is constantly reading plays, anticipating, understanding. Very "throwback" in a lot of ways, and it gets him burned badly at times when his reads are off...but it's the way he plays.

And i can absolutely understand why he would end up frustrated with the decisions of some of our players defensively at times. Get the sense he'd really like to control his own team defensively like marionettes sometimes (and sadly, it might actually end up more effective if he could :cry:). Some of our players are prone to absolutely unpredictable defensive plays that have to be tough on a goaltender who plays the game in his head as much as Miller seems to.

Vrbata - when he is getting the feeds become dangerous. I guess, if you want to be cynical, he is upping his trade value. But there are times when you wonder if they shouldn't re-sign him. When on his game this player is good.

Vrbata's been generating so many shots this year, the fact he hasn't had much in the way of results has been a bit misleading i think. In any case though, i think the bolded is an interesting question to pose. Looking through the crop of RH goal-scoring forwards set to hit the market this summer (aside from Stamkos :laugh:), there's really diddly squat. And frankly, if you can re-up Vrbata at $5M, where else are you going to find those 20-30 goals for less, or in a younger/more well-rounded player without coughing up crucial rebuild assets? Kind of an awkward situation, but Vrbata does have some real value and despite his poor shooting results to kick off the season, he's a guy who can score goals and isn't a complete liability overall.

McCann - given his age, etc... he was outstanding. You look at the 2014 draft and I have him pushing the top 5 ATM. No wonder he was a little upset. His skill set is best we've had in a rookie in recent memory.

I think it is what it is.

Sedins - not quite the magic of the other night but always a positive. Strange but they seemed to skating faster than in the last couple of years.

I've noticed the bolded as well. There are times this year when it looks like the Sedins are absolutely flying out there. The near shorthanded goal they almost set up was a clear example of it. The burst to get both of them up in the play like that, it's something you don't always see out of them.

Something i've noticed this year in particular though, is that they seem to be getting even smarter in "picking their spots" with that burst. They'll ride through a game on Turtle Speed and their smarts keep them in the right spots the vast majority of the time...but they'll jump on the right opportunities with a burst of speed that we haven't really seen from the Sedins in a good while. With the Twins, i really wouldn't put it past them to have worked out a way to be even more "efficient" as they grow older.

Hansen - great snipe on the goal. Can't really say enough about this player. Team leader in +/- by a bit and helps every line he is on. Improved play of the Sedins is, in large part, a result of his work.

It's so impressive to me, the way Hansen seems to be evolving as a player at this stage of his career. He's truly starting to play a game that isn't just Honey Badger, it's like...Savvy Honey Badger. He's finding a way to not just play minutes with the Twins, but actually truly play minutes with the Twins. He's not just running around doing a little bit of Jannik Hansen while the Sedins do their thing...he's starting to become that "3rd Sedin" like Burrows at his peak.

I'm legitimately surprised, but i love it.

Bartkowski - can see other teams dump it in on him and then work him. Give him credit for trying but opponents can exploit his weakness along the end boards. He gets gassed and then the whole thing turns into muddle with desperate goal mouth scrambles . Kind of felt sorry for Sbisa b/c he ends up getting caught up in these messes and really, himself, has trouble enough with his own game without all the confusion caused by Bart.

Agreed. It's a bad pairing. It doesn't work very well to the guys' (limited) strengths.

Bartkowski just panic-tossing the puck to Sbisa is about the worst thing that could happen for a defensive pairing. Sbisa tries about as hard as anyone on our team (i know this sounds like a facetious Benning-ism, but it's true), he just doesn't have the star skillset to fully make good on his efforts. Expecting him to be both the first guy in to almost every puck battle (as in that shift in the first), AND expect Bart to just cruise around and not actually do much of anything like getting the puck out...that's a huge ask of a guy like Sbisa, and went predictably poorly.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
youd take sbisa at 3.6 over weber at 1.5?

I wouldn't have spent a red cent on Weber, so i guess so.

I wouldn't have spent $3.6M on Sbisa either though...:dunno:

But tossing contracts aside, i'd definitely take either of Sbisa or even Bartkowski over Weber on my team. And as pertains to this season right now, it really doesn't matter what a guy is making, we have what we have...i want to see the players who give the team the best chance at winning. And Weber brings up the rear of the field on that out of the three (really 4, as i'd prefer Biega there as well at this point).

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I wouldn't have spent a red cent on Weber, so i guess so.

I wouldn't have spent $3.6M on Sbisa either though...:dunno:

But tossing contracts aside, i'd definitely take either of Sbisa or even Bartkowski over Weber on my team. And as pertains to this season right now, it really doesn't matter what a guy is making, we have what we have...i want to see the players who give the team the best chance at winning. And Weber brings up the rear of the field on that out of the three (really 4, as i'd prefer Biega there as well at this point).

Lets make it more simple.
Sbisa= useful on PK
Weber= Can barely play PK, cost SHG on PP.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Cracknell and Prust really make Dorsett look like a massive plug. He just cannot make plays with the puck like the other two. He constantly forfeits possession by flipping the puck off the boards to the other teams D when he has open teammates looking for a pass.

Last year I assumed he looked worse because he was playing with Hansen and Horvat, but now I believe he is just awful at hockey. A TC invite is a far superior player... Why are we paying Dorsett so much.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
citing burrows as a problem is really, really weird. the dude has been doing a ton of heavy lifting when playing with young players in terms of possession, while producing at a good rate. he's a really good and sadly under appreciated player, hope he retires a canuck.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
He's one of the rare bottom nine players who's clearly lost a step but still maintained a solid level of production.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
citing burrows as a problem is really, really weird. the dude has been doing a ton of heavy lifting when playing with young players in terms of possession, while producing at a good rate. he's a really good and sadly under appreciated player, hope he retires a canuck.

I think it's production related...like so much seems to be here. You ain't scoring you ain't ****.

But Burrows really has been a workman this year. He's done a lot of good things for a lot of different young linemates. Is he worth $4.5M? Maybe not...but he's worth a lot to our kids learning the game and having a winger who can actually shelter a center a bit which is rare...and he's still producing...something offensively at least. Burrows in transition is still one of the best wingers in the league defensively. That gets lost a lot i think, among other things.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
does anymore have webers numbers on the power play, like are their WOWY 5 on 4 stats? I mean ppl can keep running with this "Weber doesn't help the power play" notion, but statistically I don't think it's true. the canucks surged last year on the pp after adding weber to it. suggesting that he causes more goals against than goals for on the power play has to be one of the most biased and untrue narratives ive seen on here.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
wait, really? after last season you wouldn't have re-signed him? i dont think i can take your weber opinions seriously anymore dude, sorry

Lots of people thought the same. I was hoping he didn't get re-signed either, but at least it was only a one year deal for cheap. Some people wanted to give 3 million + on a multiyear deal.. those are the people whose opinions you shouldn't take seriously.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
I am glad someone brought up Higgins and Weber. Add Burrows and there is 3 pieces of deadwood from the Mike Gillis regime that really need to be off the roster. I would move Edler in a heartbeat for the right trade also.

I know the fashion here is to blame every single thing on Benning but when I watch this team I see a few players beyond the favorite Benning whipping boys that need to go for this team to move forward.

Didn't Benning re-sign Weber?

I know your fashion is to blame every single thing on Gillis but when I watch this team I see a a lot of players brought in by Benning that need to go for this team to move forward

Edit. I see you already tried to weasel out of that one, my bad. "You guys would have freaked out if Benning didn't re-sign him" :laugh:

WOW

The Jesus*

I still hate you, Vrbata. Keep scoring goals, we need to get something for you at the deadline.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
At least Bart can skate the puck out of the zones and make some decent plays out there amongst his bobbles+gaffs, Weber is just putrid all around. Play Pedan next.

You're being tricked by Bartkowski's skating into thinking he can be an effective player.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Lots of people thought the same. I was hoping he didn't get re-signed either, but at least it was only a one year deal for cheap. Some people wanted to give 3 million + on a multiyear deal.. those are the people whose opinions you shouldn't take seriously.

I mean, he was more deserving of that type of contract than Sbisa, the human trashcan, but I don't think many were wanting Weber to be resigned for that much. I think you're making it up tbh.

I still hate you, Vrbata. Keep scoring goals, we need to get something for you at the deadline.

Nobody cares about your weird hate for Vrbata

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
does anymore have webers numbers on the power play, like are their WOWY 5 on 4 stats? I mean ppl can keep running with this "Weber doesn't help the power play" notion, but statistically I don't think it's true. the canucks surged last year on the pp after adding weber to it. suggesting that he causes more goals against than goals for on the power play has to be one of the most biased and untrue narratives ive seen on here.

Lots of false narratives around these parts. Hansen can't play with the twins, Sbisa is a good PKer, we need to have fighters to protect the kuds etc

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
You're being tricked by Bartkowski's skating into thinking he can be an effective player.

This.

Bart is basically Ballard without the hipchecks or nastyness (Ballard did get dirty in front of the net with slashes and crosschecks, if I remember correctly)

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Some really interesting thoughts here.

The bolded in particular is interesting to me. I get the same sort of impression from Miller. I think he's a true "student of the game", he's a very "smart" goaltender who has a very strong grasp on the game going on around him. Not just a shot-blocker in net, but a guy who is constantly reading plays, anticipating, understanding. Very "throwback" in a lot of ways, and it gets him burned badly at times when his reads are off...but it's the way he plays.

And i can absolutely understand why he would end up frustrated with the decisions of some of our players defensively at times. Get the sense he'd really like to control his own team defensively like marionettes sometimes (and sadly, it might actually end up more effective if he could :cry:). Some of our players are prone to absolutely unpredictable defensive plays that have to be tough on a goaltender who plays the game in his head as much as Miller seems to.

I'm glad someone brought this up. That's the exact impression I get from Miller every time he's scored on. I feel like there's more pressure for defencemen playing in front of him compared to Luongo and especially Schneider. It doesn't help that we have a much weaker defence core compared to the golden years. There's a level of frustration Miller has when he sees his defencemen running around like chickens in their own zone.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
agreed completely, he's actually the perfect "mentor" for the kids.

I love burrows, but "mentor"? It's like saying a drug addicted criminal is a great babysitter for your kids lol. Hair pulling, racist remarks, biting, diving-Auger...... He's not a role model.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I love burrows, but "mentor"? It's like saying a drug addicted criminal is a great babysitter for your kids lol. Hair pulling, racist remarks, biting, diving-Auger...... He's not a role model.

He's cleaned up his game alot since then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad