Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3, Islanders 4: The Drive for 65 is over! We won! We're champions!!

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Boucher has no speed. Further, it's not just that he needs to be with talent, he needs to be with players that will do the heavy lifting for him... A finisher with little else to his game.

This was not what I saw out of Gaunce this game, but I guess this will go on so long as he doesn't get any points?

I don't agree with what you say about Boucher
Along with his shot, he is smart with the puck and a good passer making fairly adept plays. I'd say he's not fast but not slow either and can skate in quick short bursts that seems to give him open ice although with his size, you'd like to see a bit more agility from him. He is also fairly solid on his skates with good balance. He's able to generate chances and shots on his own from what I can see because he can read the play fairly well. As I said before, I don't think he's a slow skater but compared to speedsters like Horvat, it looked like he played the trailer. It also looked like he was trying to be more of a two way player by hanging back but that was just my impression.

His lack of reach and straight away speed keeps him from being a defensive stalwart and his board work leaves something to be desired but he can improve his speed, agility and strength. I'd hope with a little work, he can develop into a fairly effective player. He has good offensive instincts that are hard to teach

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
This team is ran by morons. How is a team with this many illnesses and injuries so under prepared that they have to dress Biega on F again?

Idiots.

I agree the team is run by morons. Also coached by a moron too. And the Sedins are now borderline 2nd liners. But the one crazy thing this team did that game that worked was put Biega on forward. Thought he had a suprisingly good game. Hit anything that moved forced turnovers and you could see the islanders defensemen looking over there shoulders when he was out there. I know hes a depth guy but i thought was his best game as a Canuck

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Boucher is what he is and on this team another in a long line of players that might manage some icetime and even some decent numbers on a bad team. On a good team or one that hopes to be good he's a call up. He is not a development opportunity.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The Good

Sutter - game in, game out he is putting in a good effort. Shows high level speed and shows it going on attack or getting back in his end. A character player. Season he is having (after a so-so start) is making contract look more acceptable.

The Not So Good

Gaunce - consistently getting the puck knocked off his stick and not able to complete a pass. Looked clumsy at times. People seems to be looking for anything to praise this player for (like getting a shot on goal or forcing the play) but he is doing nothing with the puck. Lack of any offensive contribution is simply not good enough for this level. (even the little talent enforcers have some offense) Had problems with coverage in his end as well which the -2 attest to. Excuse time will soon be over for Gaunce.

I have absolutely no idea what you're seeing and continue to see in Gaunce vs. Sutter. And Gaunce especially.

Gaunce was flat-out the best player on the ice for either team in the first period of last night's game. Skated miles, set up multiple chances including Megna's breakaway, dangled a defender for another scoring chance, and had at least 3 outstanding defensive plays to break up opposing rushes and send the play back the other way. Was absolutely terrific, then crashed into the boards heavily and wasn't quite as good the rest of the night although still very solid.

Moreover, the -2 had absolutely nothing to do with Gaunce's play whatsoever. The first GA Gaunce was driving the net off the wing and should have received a pass from Megna who stupidly tried to put it through the defender and it was turned back for a breakaway. The 2nd GA there was no coverage breakdown - it was a harmless-looking point shot that hit Stecher and took a tough bounce, and that Miller over-committed to.

Sutter had one nice rush last night where he took a penalty and otherwise continues to be a complete offensive black hole. Play dies on his stick constantly, and shows far less offensive awareness and skill than Gaunce. He does work hard defensively but right now hardly looks better than Megna as a player. 6 ES points in his last 33 games while playing nearly 20 minutes/game is astonishing futility.

My ONLY complaint with Gaunce right now is that he tends to be excellent in the first periods of games and then fade a bit as the game goes along. But you can clearly see where the offense is going to come.

Yep. Theres so many things players do or could do that affect the play and outcome of a shift. All players at this level do a lot of good little things but Gaunce is one where he rarely does the wrong move. I urge people to focus only on a specific player for their entire shift and see what they do away from the puck. For example Granlund does well with the puck but without it his drive and battling leaves lots to be desired. Sedins are losing their speed and smarts defensively in their own zone. Gaunce is doing so many little things right but he is on a crappy line. Getting points is awesome but there is so much more nuance to the game.

Exactly.

He's a player who is always mentally 'switched on' and does so many little things away from the puck and defensively to win battles and gain possession for his team. Always in the right place, always makes good decisions.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
As for last night's game, we played pretty well for two periods and were unlucky to be behind, then were awful in the 3rd and lucky to get it to OT.

- Boucher had a good game individually in the offensive end but his skating and his tracking defensively is so weak. That line suffered without the defensive presence of Burrows/Eriksson on the other wing. Even Goldobin has the speed to be involved in the play if not always doing the right thing.

- Sedins/Granlund were insipid until two good shifts late in the 3rd.

- offensively, Gaunce is actually being let down by his linemates. All 3 guys skated well, though, and they were an unlucky -2. Or at least, Gaunce and Sutter were. That play from Megna was brutal for a guy of his skill level.

- Biega was a physical force, but should be playing defense regularly. From training camp 2015, Hutton has consistently been at his best when with Biega (and so has Tryamkin). Tryamkin was a little off in his first game back, and that pairing struggled.

- Stecher had 2 points and did some good stuff offensively, but the amount of heavy defensive lifting that Edler is doing for that pair is incredible. If we ever trade Edler, expect a severe regression from Stecher because his defensive play has a LONG way to go to be an actual top-4 defender in this league rather than one just carried by his excellent veteran partner.

- Tanev was absolutely outstanding, especially when you consider how banged-up he is.

- Miller wasn't good. If that was Markstrom in net, everyone would be complaining how inconsistent he is and how he isn't ready to start here. But people just ignore it when it's Miller. Was over-committing to shots all over the place and simply didn't make saves when the team needed them last night.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He may just turn out to be the guy Dane Fox was supposed to turn out to be... a third line scoring threat.

I don't see it.

He has some talent and a good shot, but he just can't skate and can't play defense as a result. Like I said above, his defensive tracking is brutal - as bad as you'll see in an NHL player. He has the same sort of build/short-legged skating stride as Cody Hodgson and just doesn't get where he needs to go, and doesn't have a motor to get there, either.

That line suffered with him on it last night, even though he was good with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone.

As much as I think Granlund is a below-average defensive player because of his inability to win puck battles, Boucher is on another level of poor in this area. Granlund can at least track the play well and be in good positions.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You can see Boucher struggles along the wall at times, and has trouble keeping up at various other times, but not sure if some of this hasn't been conditioning, and how he's being used.

Plays a couple of games on different lines, including the fourth line of all places, and then scratched for two or three more....then back in if there's an injury.

But there's no denying he has a lethal shot and forces goalies to make tough saves....and watching a guy on the pp who'll actually shoot the puck from the half-wall is a revelation.

And still only 23....he can, and will improve...can understand why the Devils were anxious to keep him around....but pretty obvious Willie is only lukewarm to him....but Linden says he'll definitely be back a training camp next year....another guy who might benefit from a new coach.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
You can see Boucher struggles along the wall at times, and has trouble keeping up at various other times, but not sure if some of this hasn't been conditioning, and how he's being used.

Plays a couple of games on different lines, including the fourth line of all places, and then scratched for two or three more....then back in if there's an injury.

But there's no denying he has a lethal shot and forces goalies to make tough saves....and watching a guy on the pp who'll actually shoot the puck from the half-wall is a revelation.

And still only 23....he can, and will improve...can understand why the Devils were anxious to keep him around....but pretty obvious Willie is only lukewarm to him....but Linden says he'll definitely be back a training camp next year....another guy who might benefit from a new coach.

Check this beauty out.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
The -2 wasn't even Gaunce' fault. First goal against was because Megna did that stupid toedrag that backfired. It was Gaunce's defensive work that forced the defenders to cough up the puck in the first place so Megna could pick it up. Instead of getting a high percentage play, Megna goes for that toedrag with everyone going up the ice.

The second goal against was Chaput's fault for not closing out on the point man quick enough to cut off the pass. Gaunce had the puck carrier covered the whole time. The defender got the shot off and got a lucky bounce off Stecher. If Chaput played a bit higher, that pass could have been a turnover.

Horvat wasn't as effective tonight but I think overall he played fine. They should keep Boucher on that line and see how they do for a while.

Sutter just doesn't do anything right now but when the Canucks are finally eliminated, he might be shutdown for the season and we could see something like Gaunce-Chaput-Goldobin.

At this point it's safe to say that Orcatown isn't who you listen to for objective analysis of Gaunce.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
At this point it's safe to say that Orcatown isn't who you listen to for objective analysis of Gaunce.

I think it goes both ways though. It seems like some people are critical of him every game, and others are extremely high on him every game. It's very strange and neither opinion appears to be very objective at this point.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
i despise willie so much. i await the day he is GONE!!!!!!!!!!

boucher is way better than megna.

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
Completely agree with your points. Sutter is sooo frustrating to watch. It's even more frustrating when the coaching staff continuously puts him on the first powerplay. It just dies on his stick every single time

He lacks the passing creativity to be an offensive center and his defense is hard working but nothing special - not a takeaway machine.

What I do like is his shot, straight line speed, and going to the net. While it was mocked at the time, he was a good addition to the Sedin line and I get the feeling he could be a valuable offensive winger for us.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
He lacks the passing creativity to be an offensive center and his defense is hard working but nothing special - not a takeaway machine.

What I do like is his shot, straight line speed, and going to the net. While it was mocked at the time, he was a good addition to the Sedin line and I get the feeling he could be a valuable offensive winger for us.

Sadly, Sutter's stint with the Sedins gave them the worst possession numbers they've ever had in more than a decade.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Miller wasn't good. If that was Markstrom in net, everyone would be complaining how inconsistent he is and how he isn't ready to start here. But people just ignore it when it's Miller. Was over-committing to shots all over the place and simply didn't make saves when the team needed them last night.

In all fairness Miller played very well in the last stretch of games and then followed it up with this game and the softie in OT last game. Miller is just an average starter regressing to the mean.

Marky has been a very leaky goalie trailing back to his Florida days. Posters are hoping Marky can fix that part of his game - Miller sliding around out of position is just accepted I guess.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
- Miller wasn't good. If that was Markstrom in net, everyone would be complaining how inconsistent he is and how he isn't ready to start here. But people just ignore it when it's Miller. Was over-committing to shots all over the place and simply didn't make saves when the team needed them last night.

People aren't ignoring the performance because it's Miller, people are ignoring it because nobody cares about the result. It's a weekday game vs the Islanders and a game that 80% of the fans would prefer that they lose. He probably gets ripped apart if that game is in November.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad