Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3, Islanders 4: The Drive for 65 is over! We won! We're champions!!

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Game Preview: Islanders at Canucks

The Islanders look to improve to 5-2-1 on their current road trip with a win in Vancouver

New York Islanders (31-23-11) at Vancouver Canucks (28-30-8)

After picking up two points in Edmonton on Tuesday night, the New York Islanders head to Vancouver looking to stay ahead in the Eastern Conference playoff race.

The Islanders beat the Canucks 4-2 on Nov. 7 at Barclays Center, their second straight win against Vancouver. The Islanders are looking for a second straight win in Vancouver for the first time since winning consecutive games in 1992 and 1993.

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/game-preview-islanders-at-canucks/c-287528986

Last edited by a moderator:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Plenty of cheap tickets available for tonight, if anyone is interested in catching the game.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Goldobin out with the flu. Granlund battling "stuff" as well, according to WD. Tryamkin may play. Miller starts.

When did our coach become Rick Grimes?

6d851f39cecbb8747fee8a020a7f4d1ea801c47ef16dd975d78032d8666d3ba0.jpg

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Ehh... I call bs on the flu, tbh... Didn't want more flak for avoiding putting him on the ice... Didn't want the fan base to run him out of town (any faster)...

Hopefully Tryamkin plays.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Heh, like how they waited until after WD's game day media availability to release the Goldobin news. No questions about Crammer vs. Boucher on the Horvat line, unfortunately.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Willie is resorting to biological warfare now. Probably got a sick person to lick the top of Goldy's Gatorade.

Careful, this will be used as a eye witness testimony where why would you make something up like this, it is true!

JA

No Goldobin for this match, but tonight we'll have a first-hand look at Josh Ho-Sang with the Islanders.

C6fR6YBWgAEh5XQ.jpg

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Ah yeah, we get to see one of Ho-Sang's first games, don't we. Maybe he'll have to run up and down stairs at Rogers Arena for several hours afterwards.

JA

We need a blow out loss tonight
It's been nearly exactly three years to the day since this one -- March 10, 2014. John Tavares did not play that night.

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/nyi-vs-van/2014/03/10/2013020974/recap#game=2013020974,game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=stats

We had a 3-0 lead after two periods, yet in the span of the first four minutes of the third, the game was tied 3-3. Then, three minutes later, it was 4-3 Islanders. Chris Tanev tied it three minutes after that, but the Islanders scored again at the very next faceoff to make it 5-4. Then, a minute later, 6-4. Cal Clutterbuck scored with 18 seconds left to make it a 7-4 Islanders victory.

I was at that game. As I was walking down the staircase to the main floor after the game, I heard an older gentleman shrug and say, "At least it was entertaining."

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canucks+collapse+third+fall+Islanders/9602396/story.html
Canucks collapse in third, fall to Islanders 7-4
Brad Ziemer, Vancouver Sun 03.11.2014

VANCOUVER - Stick a fork in the Vancouver Canucks. They are done.

In a collapse of epic proportions. Vancouver coughed up a 3-0 third-period lead Monday night and lost 7-4 to the New York Islanders.

You can kiss the playoffs goodbye. Of course many of the team’s fans had already done that.

“I’m blown away, I can’t (explain it),” centre Ryan Kesler said in a sombre Vancouver dressing room. “Seven goals in the third period, two points that we need, giving up a 3-0 lead. . .It’s the National Hockey League. It can’t happen.”

But it did and the way the Canucks collapsed in the third seemed to symbolize a season that can now be declared officially lost.

Such a devastating loss, against one of the worst teams in the NHL, should end any hope the Canucks are going to make any kind of serious playoff push over their final 15 games.

“I mean, you have to give them credit, but let’s be honest, that is not one of the top teams in the league,” he said. “They battled hard, they played hard, but being up 3-0 and blowing it like that, it’s embarrassing.

“It’s the story of the past two months. We have to figure it out here quick or we’re all going to be packing our bags and going home for the summer real quick here. I’m not done. I want to make the playoffs, I know the guys in the room want to. We have to start acting like it. . .I can’t even wrap my head around it right now. It’s embarrassing.”

The Canucks were booed off the ice by the fans who were still in the building.

“The guys played well enough in front of me,” Lack said. “I think I have to make two or three saves there and I take responsibility for this loss.”

The seven goals surrendered by the Canucks in the third matches a franchise record for most given up in one period. Twice in the 1980s, the Edmonton Oilers torched the Canucks for seven goals in a period. But those teams had Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri and company. Bryan Trottier and Mike Bossy were not in the lineup Monday night for the Islanders.

““I've never been in a game like that as far as seeing a period like that because we were playing so well. We really put ourselves in a jam with some bad penalties and they gained momentum,” said coach John Tortorella. “What could happen, happened and it's been going on for a little while here since the turn of the year. Somehow we have to try and put it behind us. I'm not going to say it's going to be easy. That's a tough loss for us.

“This is a kick in the teeth and it is certainly going to take a little bit more than the normal coaches’ speak to move by it. This is a tough one to eat.”

“It’s tough to put into words what happened,” said Vancouver defenceman Kevin Bieksa. “I have never seen anything like that before. It feels terrible and I honestly don’t know what happened.

477740019_slide.jpg

GDT: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1620785
PGT: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1621859

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I believe you, brother. I'm happy to see he's gotten past the hotheadedness and has now earned a spot in the NHL.
Once you look past the narratives you can tell he's a good kid. Definitely has faults (late to camp after draft year and a Bridgeport Sound Tigers game) but he's cleaning up and earned his promotion. Stat line isn't special in the 4 games but better judgement on ice.
We need a blow out loss tonight

Been there, totally feel you. Hope we both get what we want tonight :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad