Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 @ Coyotes 1 | Yes we beat a non playoff team

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Lol Burrows gets crosschecked in the back of the head by OEL while simultaneously getting crosschecked in the face by Doan, no call of course got stitched up and continued the game.

Guy should write a book when he's done, as well as sue the league.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
What about then?

I've seen it done by ranking (5-10) but that doesn't make as much sense as a range of points. 90-96? 98?

In the past few years:
2013-2014 - 5th: 107 pts, 10th: 88 pts
2012-2013 - 5th: 59 pts, 10th: 51 pts
2011-2012 - 5th: 102 pts, 10th: 89 pts
2010-2011 - 5th: 99 pts, 10th: 94 pts
2009-2010 - 5th: 102 pts, 10th: 90 pts

100 points is probably in the upper bounds of that range, but still within the range

Phred Phlinstone

Feb 12, 2015
White Rock, BC
lol, bieksa pivoted out of the way and sbisa took a few seconds to realize what OEL did with the puck

The way Bieksa moved on the OEL goal is the way I look when I have to step back and play defense on my team. I don't know why my teammates want me back on defense when I clearly suck at it.

Lundface*

Yeah I thought Markstrom played real good.

Seemed nervous in the beginning though. But, who can blame him.

Plus he only got scored on because Special Spizza and Casual Kev don't know how to play defense.

bieksasbisa2.gif

Look at that defensive play lol.

Sbisa is dreadful infront of his own net. Didn't take the body, did't tie up the stick, didn't get the puck. Useless. In general, he is either not aware of where the puck is or where his man is infront of the net (sometimes both). Other times he's painfully slow to react and gives up goals/chances.

That and gap control (backs up and gives people way too much room) are my two biggest issues with him. Not an everyday NHLer.

He has improved his play with the puck, but he's made no strides in these two areas. You can't teach defensive reads and awareness that well...and it's obvious where this player is lacking.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Were gonna lose can feel it we should be way ahead but arent. Coyotes will score in the third and win this is bad

Glad i was wrong! Waaaay wrong!! Good game effort by the guys esp Vrbata and nice to see markstrom with the big win. Were doing it! Getting closer ! Woohoo! :)

timorousme

luongod
Apr 3, 2008
yeah knowing how much the league hates the canucks, they'll probably give the conn smythe to somebody on the losing team :sarcasm:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
What about then?

I've seen it done by ranking (5-10) but that doesn't make as much sense as a range of points. 90-96? 98?

Sure, bubble teams get 100 points. 3 good bounces you can go from 94 to 100, 3 bad and you can go from 94 to 88.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
HUGE win for Jacob Markström. Important win for the Nucks. So happy that Marky got the chance to contribute - even in the smallest of ways - to the playoff race. Hopefully he gets another start but the race is still tight so won't bank on it.

Should've been a blowout. Smith was amazing but had some incredible puck luck as well. AZ had some sequences of really strong play where Marky made the timely saves but most of the time I was sitting there cursing the posts and the hockey gods.

Horvat is such a stud. Can't believe he's only 19 and a rookie when he plays. It's even more impressive as he's a 2 way player and not a "flash"-rookie who gets massive credit for scoring but then can't play defense to save his life.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Sure, bubble teams get 100 points. 3 good bounces you can go from 94 to 100, 3 bad and you can go from 94 to 88.

If we're talking about the 5-10 spot last year, that would have been an average of 97.5 points in the West so 100 would be right around the middle of that range.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
If you knocked back a shot every time the puck went PING off a post in this game, you would have gotten totally blitzed.

#hockeydrinkinggames

Reckage

Mar 12, 2014
Posted this on the Markstrom page, but thought it might not get seen by many so I posted it here in defense of Markstrom (not that he needs it). I thought he played a very good game.

Granted the rebound ended up a goal, but let's retrace this. The first shot came from what, 30 feet? He kicked it back out in front. This was the bad rebound. The second shot came from 15 feet say? The next rebound was right on the doorstep. Then the third shot goes in. That was the sequence.

This entire episode takes place with the same Coyote (OEL) taking all three shots. Explain to me how an NHL level team allows one guy to walk in from 30 feet, take a shot, follow it up and shoot from 15 feet, and then follow that up, and score from the doorstep? That is the most pathetic excuse for an NHL defensive display you could explain.

No, Marky's first rebound was not controlled well at all. His fault. However, he covers for that by making the next save as well. Now the shooter keeps coming and bangs in the next short rebound as well. The rebound on a hard shot from that distance is not unusual. It was close by. Is Markstrom the only guy on the ice?

The job of any player in a Canuck jersey is to clear rebounds if you are anywhere in the vicinity. If you are in the way of the guy shooting or beside him as he advances to the net, your job is to tie him up, better yet prevent him from getting to the puck period, but at least prevent him from shooting. Not only was this not done once it was not done twice.

This goal was inexcusable and I'm not going to lay the blame on Marky. That guy never gets to the net for the third shot vs. any respectable defensive duo. He actually doesn't get to the FIRST rebound! A goal on that rebound comes from a teammate driving to the net for the rebound. Same goes for the third shot. It was not scored by a team mate driving the net. It was scored by the original shooter on his second rebound.

Anyone blaming Marky for this must have a crush on Sbisa and Bieksa.

I agree with your take on this, especially your comment about making physical contact.

Way too often (and this complaint goes back a long ways) our defence is more interested in playing 'Whack A Mole' with the puck or standing around playing goaltender, rather than actually playing defence. As you point out, if one of the defenders takes the body on OEL, this play is safely over.

The night before, the only LA goal was a deflection off Tanev, who moved to block a shot from well out. Edler was standing in front of Lack, creating the perfect screen for LA, despite the fact he wasn't with an LA player. If Tanev goes out, more along the lines of stick on stick and shoulder into the shooter, and Edler moves to box out the incoming LA player, Lack gets a full view of the shot. Easy save. No harm. The two defensemen literally turned a pedestrian shot on net into a goal against.

Over the years, I have had more than a few apoplectic fits watching Canuck defenders stand behind a goalie, playing second goaltender, while the opposition whacks away at the puck out front of the goal.

Somewhere along the pike, we are going to bring in some defenders that can really, honestly, actually put a shoulder into an opposition player. I'm not suggesting killing someone with a monster hit, just taking the body to make life easier for the goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad