Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 @ Coyotes 1 | Yes we beat a non playoff team

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
If the Canucks finish 5-5-0 the teams chasing them would need the following to finish ahead of them:

Calgary: 7-2-1
Minnesota: 6-4-0
Winnipeg: 6-3-1
LA: 8-2-1

Realistically, 4-6-0 is probably good enough from here on in.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
So kids, two road games in two days, two wins on two clutch late PP goals...how's that for things nobody expected.

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
Wow Mike Smith played great. 2 shots specifically that he had no business stopping.

Coyotes played their system well and with a little bit of luck could easily have beat us. Like I said before the game, they are better than their record indicates.

Glad Markstrom had a good game, he really needed to and the defense showed up for him tonight.

krag

Feb 13, 2013
Coyotes played their system well and with a little bit of luck could easily have beat us.

You mean a little bit of extra luck on top of that massive pile of luck they had to not be down four goals, right?

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
You mean a little bit of extra luck on top of that massive pile of luck they had to not be down four goals, right?

lolz - their goalie played lights out. They showed Smith's stats against the Canucks and his save % is .924 career vs the nucks. Smith is a good goalie, and it is safe to say he brings his A game when he plays Canadian teams, since he knows he'll be on the national stage.

Canucks played solid though and didn't get frustrated. If they keep playing disciplined like this into the playoffs it is going to be great. The last several years when we've made the playoffs we've entered the end of the season with a big cushion. This year we'll be entering it battling hard to get much needed points, and that can only help us be ready for the intensity of the playoffs

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Posted this on the Markstrom page, but thought it might not get seen by many so I posted it here in defense of Markstrom (not that he needs it). I thought he played a very good game.

Granted the rebound ended up a goal, but let's retrace this. The first shot came from what, 30 feet? He kicked it back out in front. This was the bad rebound. The second shot came from 15 feet say? The next rebound was right on the doorstep. Then the third shot goes in. That was the sequence.

This entire episode takes place with the same Coyote (OEL) taking all three shots. Explain to me how an NHL level team allows one guy to walk in from 30 feet, take a shot, follow it up and shoot from 15 feet, and then follow that up, and score from the doorstep? That is the most pathetic excuse for an NHL defensive display you could explain.

No, Marky's first rebound was not controlled well at all. His fault. However, he covers for that by making the next save as well. Now the shooter keeps coming and bangs in the next short rebound as well. The rebound on a hard shot from that distance is not unusual. It was close by. Is Markstrom the only guy on the ice?

The job of any player in a Canuck jersey is to clear rebounds if you are anywhere in the vicinity. If you are in the way of the guy shooting or beside him as he advances to the net, your job is to tie him up, better yet prevent him from getting to the puck period, but at least prevent him from shooting. Not only was this not done once it was not done twice.

This goal was inexcusable and I'm not going to lay the blame on Marky. That guy never gets to the net for the third shot vs. any respectable defensive duo. He actually doesn't get to the FIRST rebound! A goal on that rebound comes from a teammate driving to the net for the rebound. Same goes for the third shot. It was not scored by a team mate driving the net. It was scored by the original shooter on his second rebound.

Anyone blaming Marky for this must have a crush on Sbisa and Bieksa.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think most people blamed the defense pair, as they should have.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
When you post a .963 save percentage and allow only one goal, you don't need anyone to defend you.

Yeah I thought Markstrom played real good.

Seemed nervous in the beginning though. But, who can blame him.

Plus he only got scored on because Special Spizza and Casual Kev don't know how to play defense.

bieksasbisa2.gif

Look at that defensive play lol.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If the Canucks finish 5-5-0 the teams chasing them would need the following to finish ahead of them:

Calgary: 7-2-1
Minnesota: 6-4-0
Winnipeg: 6-3-1
LA: 8-2-1

Realistically, 4-6-0 is probably good enough from here on in.

4-6-0 aka 96 points should do it because the canucks hold ROW tie breaker.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Just realized sn1 is showing the game again in nine minutes.

Is it wrong that I might watch it again?

#getalife

We're watching it again! Who's with me!?
p_1.jpg

;)

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I thought McMillan had a solid game.....

Not sure we were watching the same game.....ended up being replaced on the Horvat line and as usual added no offense....WD decides to bench Kenins, essentially breaking up the only line that was providing consistent offense for us...thought both Hansen and Horvat were affected....sometimes these coaching decisions make you want to throw up your hands:help:

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Yeah I thought Markstrom played real good.

Seemed nervous in the beginning though. But, who can blame him.

Plus he only got scored on because Special Spizza and Casual Kev don't know how to play defense.

bieksasbisa2.gif

Look at that defensive play lol.

lol, bieksa pivoted out of the way and sbisa took a few seconds to realize what OEL did with the puck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad