• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
1. Elias Pettersson (175/182)

2018-05-01_denmark_vs_usa_78_2018-05-05.jpg

2. Quinn Hughes, D, University of Michigan (7th Overall, 2018)
116/129 votes (89.9%)

2017/18: REG 37GP 5G 24A 29P; WJHC 7GP 0G 3A; WHC 10GP 0G 2A
NCAA All-Rookie Team
NCAA Second All-Star Team
WHC Bronze Medallist
WJHC Bronze Medallist

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Thiiis is where it gets interesting!

Close between Gaudette and Demko for me, but went with the Hobey Baker winner.

I could conceivably see Juolevi falling to 7th. Which is both encouraging AND worrisome.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
seems wrong to put demko anywhere near the valuable prospects seeing as he's a goalie. a good goalie prospect? yeah of course. but he's a goalie. hes probably not worth the draft pick (in trade) that we used to pick him, the market's so f***ed up

Reactions: racerjoe

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
seems wrong to put demko anywhere near the valuable prospects seeing as he's a goalie. a good goalie prospect? yeah of course. but he's a goalie. hes probably not worth the draft pick (in trade) that we used to pick him, the market's so ****ed up

If you were building a franchise from scratch, you take Demko every time. Trade value only matters if you don't need to fill that position.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
the only sane way to grade your prospects is to gauge how valuable they are, not how badly you want to build a team around them
I'm the opposite. I judge prospects based on how many more wins they will potentially earn our franchise, not for how much we would get for them if we shipped them out. If we had a young vezina caliber goalie singed long term right now, I would vote differently.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I'm the opposite. I judge prospects based on how many more wins they will potentially earn our franchise, not for how much we would get for them if we shipped them out. If we had a young vezina caliber goalie singed long term right now, I would vote differently.

thats not a good way to rank prospects. it leads to all sorts of insane crap, like cross comparisons between teams being wildly different from individual team lists

we dont rank players like that. tanev and edler aren't our two best players because compared to our trashheap of a d-core they're elite

Reactions: nucker11

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Tough call at this point for me, have to decide what parameter makes someone a higher ranked prospect. I think Gaudette and Juolevi are both safe candidates for long careers, but kind of low ceilings. Goldobin could blow up at any minute, and already has a handful of goals in his pocket. I love Dahlen but think he needs another year. And then there's Demko who's awesome with a good pedigree and great AHL resume...but he's a goalie, ew. (I went Demko).

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Should go something like:
  1. Pettersson
  2. Hughes
  3. Demko
  4. Juolevi
  5. Gaudette
  6. Dahlen
  7. Lind
  8. Woo
  9. DiPietro
  10. Gadjovich
  11. Jasek
  12. Madden
  13. Rathbone
  14. Lockwood
  15. Palmu
  16. Briseboise
  17. Brassard
  18. Sautner
Weighing both NHL readiness and overall potential. After Lind/Woo it gets pretty subjective and arguments can be made for interchanging most of the players.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
  1. Pettersson
  2. Hughes
  3. Demko
  4. Juolevi
  5. Gaudette
  6. Dahlen
  7. Lind
  8. Woo
  9. DiPietro
  10. Gadjovich
  11. Jasek
  12. Madden
  13. Rathbone
  14. Lockwood
  15. Palmu
  16. Briseboise
  17. Brassard
  18. Sautner
Weighing both NHL readiness and overall potential. After Lind/Woo it gets pretty subjective and arguments can be made for interchanging most of the players.

Looks about right to me.

Jasek will be interesting to watch.

Watch out for Tanner MacMaster too.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Looks about right to me.

Jasek will be interesting to watch.

Watch out for Tanner MacMaster too.

Jasek producing at the AHL level is a huge bonus for him. The common thread we see every year is people get overhyped on junior stats, while discounting players that have shown a capacity for pro play.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I found this one difficult, but I went with Dahlen. I'm guessing that Dahlen will end up as a good second-line winger. Demko could be an elite goaltender, but it remains hard to predict with that position, so for me Dahlen edges him out.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Going with Demko here as he’s trrnding towards being an elite #1 goaltender which has more value to a team than a good top six winger.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
seems wrong to put demko anywhere near the valuable prospects seeing as he's a goalie. a good goalie prospect? yeah of course. but he's a goalie. hes probably not worth the draft pick (in trade) that we used to pick him, the market's so ****ed up

the only sane way to grade your prospects is to gauge how valuable they are, not how badly you want to build a team around them

Agreed. I think your first post contradicts your second though.

Demko is probably equal parts likely to be Markstrom vs Schneider with some minimal probability of Alex Auld/backup downside or Roberto Luongo upside on the fringes. Let's just call that the spectrum of possibilities. Even smart GMs get suckered in by that upside. I agree that it would be foolish to trade more than a high 2nd for a guy who has never played in the NHL given how finnicky goalies are, but it really wouldn't take more than a linear projection of what he's already done to just play in the NHL for like, 25 games next season, and do decently well.

That Luongo/Schneider potential is tantalizing. If no-pedigree Antti Raanta can get the return he did from a smart dude after playing a bunch of games behind a stacked defense, then high pedigree Thatcher Demko would return a boatload in the very near/projectable future.

On the other hand, the projected expectation for Adam Gaudette is probably somewhere in the realm of 2010 Sam Gagner and Adam Henrique with an extremely fringe shot at being, I dunno, Bryan Little. Or he could bust and be one of the numerous disposable no-value players the team has recycled through over the past few years, like 2018 Sam Gagner.

In theory, a projected 40-50 point center should be worth boatloads more than a run-of-the-mill starter, given what those two players contribute relative to their expected cap hit above replacement cap hits. But uh, I think trade market value dictates otherwise. Teams are okay with cycling through second line centers but lose their shit recycling through goalies.

On trade value alone, it's probably Juolevi third based on pedigree.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
im not saying demko can't be worth more, im saying right now the average demko on the trade costs about what we used to pick demko four years ago. in general i think that unless you have a kid whos name is johnny vancouver and is powered by the seawall, assets are fungible and should be evaluated on what they contribute to a team in value (similarly, teams should be build by acquiring the highest value possible in all avenues and working top down). i dont think those statements contradict one another

if someone wanted to point out the flaw in my reasoning it would be that we acquired dahlen for an old busted winger, but i think its pretty clear that we fleeced a moron and a competent GM should have rendered more in return

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
  1. Pettersson
  2. Hughes
  3. Demko
  4. Juolevi
  5. Gaudette
  6. Dahlen
  7. Lind
  8. Woo
  9. DiPietro
  10. Gadjovich
  11. Jasek
  12. Madden
  13. Rathbone
  14. Lockwood
  15. Palmu
  16. Briseboise
  17. Brassard
  18. Sautner

Nailed it. May just slap that up as the final outcome of these votes. #democracysucks

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
This is actually pretty tough

Can make a case for Demko, Dahlen, Gaudette, even OJ

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
and yes im fully aware that this means the best goaltending prospect ends up never winning these polls. unfortunate, but thats why you shouldnt draft goaltenders high

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

He’s projecting very well. that’s the only thing to account for here.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
our current starting goalie projected very well. thankfully he's now a superstar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad