Vancouver/Edinburgh
POLL #6 (153 votes
Adam Gaudette - 87 votes
Nikolay Goldobin - 49 votes
Jake Virtanen - 10 votes
Michael DiPietro - 2 votes
Jonah Gadjovich - 1 vote
Jalen Chatfield - 1 vote

Rank | Player | POS | 2016/17 Team | HT | WT | DOB | Drafted/Acquired | 2016 Rank | Poll% (Tot.)
1|Brock Boeser|RW|Vancouver (NHL)/Univ. of North Dakota (NCAA)|6.01|192|Feb 25 1997|23rd (2015)|1 (-)| 48.2%(166)
2|Elias Pettersson|C/LW|Timra IK (Allsve.)|6.02|165|Nov 12 1998|5th (2017)|NEW| 89.33%(150)
3|Olli Juolevi|D|London (OHL)|6.03|187|May 5 1998|5th (2016)|2 (-1)| 64.44%(180)
4|Thatcher Demko|G|Utica (AHL)|6.04|192|Dec 8 1995|36th (2014)|3rd (-1)| 62.11%(161)
5|Jonathan Dahlen|C|Timra IK (Allsve.)|5.11|176|Dec 20 1997|Trade via OTT (2017)|NEW| 77.12%(118)
6|Adam Gaudette|C|Northeastern (NCAA)|6.01|183|Oct 3 1996|149th (2015)|10th (+4)| 57.24%(153)]

MFNRd_EX.jpg

6. Adam Gaudette
2016/17 season: Northeastern - 37GP 26G 26A

- Gaudette steals spotlight at summer showcase

- The Province Canuck prospect profile - Adam Gaudette

Eligible prospects
Rodrigo Abols
Brock Boeser
Matthew Brassard
Guillaume Brisebois
Cole Candella
Michael Carcone
Cole Cassels
Anton Cederholm
Jalen Chatfield
Jonathan Dahlen
Thatcher Demko
Michael DiPietro
Jonah Gadjovich
Adam Gaudette
Nikolay Goldobin
Kristoffer Gunnarsson
Philip Holm
Lukas Jasek
Olli Juolevi
Joseph LaBate
Yan-Pavel Laplante
Kole Lind
William Lockwood
Zack MacEwen
Evan McEneny
Brett McKenzie
Griffen Molino
Petrus Palmu
Andrey Pedan
Elias Pettersson
Jack Rathbone
Ashton Sautner
Mackenzie Stewart
Jakub Stukel
Jordan Subban
Jake Virtanen
Dmitri Zhukenov

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Voted Goldobin again... would've voted Gaudatte if he didnt win last time but as expected he won after a great prospect game (poll when the game is fresh in everyone's mind might have infleucned the results... lol).

Now the debate for #8 starts... and see how many will end up voting for Virtanen due to his draft status...

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Voted Goldobin again... would've voted Gaudatte if he didnt win last time but as expected he won after a great prospect game (poll when the game is fresh in everyone's mind might have infleucned the results... lol).

Now the debate for #8 starts... and see how many will end up voting for Virtanen due to his draft status...

Subban and Virtanen could easily be 8 and 9 on this poll

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Well, Brisebois for me - I assume that many will be voting for Goldobin or Virtanen - but after their transition to pro, I rank them below the potential of Brisebois (two teams selected him as captain, got all the shut-down assignments, in addition to having some decent offensive ability)

S_C

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Honestly, I'd probably go with Lockwood in spite of his injury concerns. Then I'd probably be looking at Lind, Gadjovich then Goldobin in that order. I know I made some massive list in the first thread of this but I really didn't put much thought at all into it.

I feel as if he has the perfect skillset to be one of those complimentary and versatile Sheary/Hansen type wingers and I think he's a safe bet to at least be an energy guy on the fourth line. I'd put money on him playing a few full NHL seasons at some point down the line.

I'm excited to hopefully see him in Utica in 2018-2019.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Probably Gold here. Lockwood and Gadvoich and maybe Lind soon after. Could see a argument for Briesbois too

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Went off the board and picked Gadjovich.If he can keep improving his skating (which has come a long ways) kid will be a beast who will put up tons of points from within 10 feet of the net and be a pain to play against.

Just not a fan of Goldobin,I see him as a different version of Sven Baertschi.A decent NHLer but one who leaves you hoping for more.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Well, Brisebois for me - I assume that many will be voting for Goldobin or Virtanen - but after their transition to pro, I rank them below the potential of Brisebois (two teams selected him as captain, got all the shut-down assignments, in addition to having some decent offensive ability)

S_C

Solid post. Couldnt agree more about Briesbois hes a stud in the making

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

S_C

Because they turned pro, you rank them below somebody who was playing against children? Okay...

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Subban and Virtanen could easily be 8 and 9 on this poll

I'm not sure how i want to rank Subban and that's part of the reason i haven't decided on #8. I'm not even planning on voting for Virtanen right now since i'm sure he'll win a poll before i get around to voting for him (he's outside my top 10 but fans will vote for him due to his draft status... at least enough that he'll probably win somewhere between 8-10, i'll start considering him after 10 if he's still there :laugh: )

Right now i'm leaning towards Lockwood vs Lind vs Gadjovich for #8. :laugh:

Lockwood because he had a good rookie season for Michigan... probably above expectations. Has potential to be a middle 6 forward and is likely to reach that potential.

Lind - "Shinny new toy" who pretty much has 1st round talent/upside (and ranked as a late 1st round pick on a lot of boards)... of course he wasn't someone i paid much attention to pre-draft so really don't know a lot about him. Also note he can play in the AHL next season so that might be something to consider (i.e. be ready 1 year earlier maybe?).

Gadjovich - BLOG! :laugh:

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I'm not sure how i want to rank Subban and that's part of the reason i haven't decided on #8. I'm not even planning on voting for Virtanen right now since i'm sure he'll win a poll before i get around to voting for him (he's outside my top 10 but fans will vote for him due to his draft status... at least enough that he'll probably win somewhere between 8-10, i'll start considering him after 10 if he's still there :laugh: )

Right now i'm leaning towards Lockwood vs Lind vs Gadjovich for #8. :laugh:

Lockwood because he had a good rookie season for Michigan... probably above expectations. Has potential to be a middle 6 forward and is likely to reach that potential.

Lind - "Shinny new toy" who pretty much has 1st round talent/upside (and ranked as a late 1st round pick on a lot of boards)... of course he wasn't someone i paid much attention to pre-draft so really don't know a lot about him. Also note he can play in the AHL next season so that might be something to consider (i.e. be ready 1 year earlier maybe?).

Gadjovich - BLOG! :laugh:

Im surprised Virtanen has so many votes here and Subban has none. Virtanen went 65-9-10-19 this year and Subban had 67-11-25-36 in his first AHL year. Hell Subban played the same number of AHL games this year and put up 7 more goals and 10 more assists than Virtanen. Granted Virtanen has some Unwarranted NHL experience he seems to have peaked in his draft year compared to Subban progressing every year except his D+1

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Im surprised Virtanen has so many votes here and Subban has none. Virtanen went 65-9-10-19 this year and Subban had 67-11-25-36 in his first AHL year. Hell Subban played the same number of AHL games this year and put up 7 more goals and 10 more assists than Virtanen. Granted Virtanen has some Unwarranted NHL experience he seems to have peaked in his draft year compared to Subban progressing every year except his D+1

Personally i'm siding towards Brisebois as the #2 D prospect over Subban but i'm not sure where to place him either. :laugh:

For NHL D... more so out West, size is pretty important. Subban's 5'9" is why he dropped in the draft, why he still is in the AHL, and likely why he'll drop in the poll. There just aren't many 5'9" players in the NHL... and Spurgeon is the only D i can think of who's 5'9 (active).

That said, he's likely Utica's #1 or #2 D (depends on what we actually have in Holm) and the team #9/10 starting the season. That has to have some value. If you ignore size/draft status, then i agree that Subban should be ahead of Virtanen. With those included, it makes everything complicated...

Right now i probably have Subban as #11 or so and Virtanen as TBD. :laugh:

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Personally i'm siding towards Brisebois as the #2 D prospect over Subban but i'm not sure where to place him either. :laugh:

For NHL D... more so out West, size is pretty important. Subban's 5'9" is why he dropped in the draft, why he still is in the AHL, and likely why he'll drop in the poll. There just aren't many 5'9" players in the NHL... and Spurgeon is the only D i can think of who's 5'9 (active).

That said, he's likely Utica's #1 or #2 D (depends on what we actually have in Holm) and the team #9/10 starting the season. That has to have some value. If you ignore size/draft status, then i agree that Subban should be ahead of Virtanen. With those included, it makes everything complicated...

Right now i probably have Subban as #11 or so and Virtanen as TBD. :laugh:

I usually put Virtanen around 12-14

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I was never super high on Virtanen, but writing the kid off after his 20-year-old season (where he could've played in the CHL) seems a bit hasty.

Management put him up on a pedestal, he was featured in advertising campaigns last summer, he led the rock star life, didn't put in the work, and ultimately got knocked down several pegs. I'm hoping that's the kick in the pants he needs because he has better physical tools than any other prospect we have.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Sorry, voting for Virtanen is not because of his "draft position". Comments like that are condescending and obnoxious. He has played in the NHL and shown that he has the ability to play at that level.

Subban probably has more skill, (and despite more condescending comments, I would still like to see what he can do as a forward) but his defensive skills and size are an issue in the AHL let alone the NHL.

I really like some of our other prospects as well, but not one of them is a lock to ever play a regular shift in the NHL.

Love me some Gadjovich and Palmu, but they were slightly disappointing in the prospects game. Looked great at times, but no Finnish.

Anyhow its goldy virts next, and after that a little more wide open. I expect a more interesting battle between Subban Brisbois and Gadjovich ... and Lind and Lockwood and Dipietro ... for the next spots ...

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Because they turned pro, you rank them below somebody who was playing against children? Okay...

To be more clear - both Goldobin and Virtanen are at the point where they have revealed more about their progress and initial results at sticking in the NHL - which tends to highlight flaws in prospects' games.

Virtanen seems to have difficulty playing a team game - seems unsure of where to be on the ice, and takes selfish penalties.
Goldobin doesn't play hard in his own zone, and doesn't seem to bring any physicality to either defense or offense.

With Brisebois, his pro progress is still unknown, so I'm picking the more unblemished prospect.

S_C

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I was never super high on Virtanen, but writing the kid off after his 20-year-old season (where he could've played in the CHL) seems a bit hasty.

Management put him up on a pedestal, he was featured in advertising campaigns last summer, he led the rock star life, didn't put in the work, and ultimately got knocked down several pegs. I'm hoping that's the kick in the pants he needs because he has better physical tools than any other prospect we have.

Not ranking him with the top prospects isn't the same thing as writing him off. It seems reasonable enough to look at his 2016-17 season and decide that even though he still could turn out well, there are others in the system ahead of him right now. His chances of NHL success have to be ranked lower than after his Draft, D+1 and D+2 seasons.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This is where it gets hard. We've seen the warts on Goldobin and Virtanen and also Subban. Some of the new guys are still shiny new toys and will have similar warts as they move up to tougher leagues.
I went with Goldy here but after this it gets tougher.
I still see Virtanen as having some skills such as skating and physical play that separate him from some of the others. But the warts are obvious. Not giving up on him but based purely on development and ignoring draft position he could project as a fourth line type of player who brings a physical presence. That's probably better than a lot of these guys who may never play in the NHL. Tough call.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Went with my boy Goldy!

Ended the season with a 21.4SH% :yo:

Will be interesting to see how the rest of this plays out. I personally have Brisebois next at #8.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Went with Gadjovich. Protectable game and good stats in his draft year. Goldobin is a bust if he doesn't improve his game this year and really establish himself. Not sold on him at all.

Gaudette has been hyped up for quite some time. Crediting his win to a good prospects game is pretty lame.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Sorry, voting for Virtanen is not because of his "draft position". Comments like that are condescending and obnoxious. He has played in the NHL and shown that he has the ability to play at that level.

Subban probably has more skill, (and despite more condescending comments, I would still like to see what he can do as a forward) but his defensive skills and size are an issue in the AHL let alone the NHL.

I really like some of our other prospects as well, but not one of them is a lock to ever play a regular shift in the NHL.

Love me some Gadjovich and Palmu, but they were slightly disappointing in the prospects game. Looked great at times, but no Finnish.

Anyhow its goldy virts next, and after that a little more wide open. I expect a more interesting battle between Subban Brisbois and Gadjovich ... and Lind and Lockwood and Dipietro ... for the next spots ...

No, the Virtanen votes really are because of his draft position. Ignore his draft position and looking at him for what he is: a draft +3 player who didn't even crack 20 points in 65 games in the AHL this past year. Players who perform that poorly typically don't end up as top 6 forwards in the NHL. Hell, players who perform that poorly typically don't end up in the NHL period. He's teetering on the brink of being an outright bust. I'm willing to give him another year to see where he ends up, but unless he becomes a PPG player in the AHL this upcoming season I'll be ready to write him off. Terrible draft pick, and not a very good prospect at this point.

Went with Goldobin here. At 8, 9, and 10 I'd be looking at Jordan Subban, Kole Lind, and either DiPietro or Gadjovich.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad