Prospect Info: Canucks 2017 Prospect Rankings - #6

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Figured the top 5 would be the top-5, though they didn't necessarily end up in my preferred order (Pettersson, Boeser, Dahlen, Juolevi, Demko).

The next 5 will likely be some amalgamation of 7: Gaudette, Goldobin, Lind, Gadjovich, Virtanen, Brisebois and Lockwood. Should be interesting.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Gaudette has a much better chance of a long NHL career than Goldobin even thought their ceilings are similar (top 6 forwards).

Also,if Goldy doesn't make it as a top 6 forward,he's KHL bound but Gaudette could slot into the bottom 6 and do very well there with his skillset.

Scygen

Jun 12, 2014
Calgary
went with Goldobin
Most people seem to think Gaudette will top out as a 3rd line center, where as Goldobin will top out as 2nd liner.. combined with the fact that Goldobin has already had a successful stint in the AHL and is already putting up goals at the NHL level against men. Hard to imagine any reason he would be below Gaudette

The Alien

From another world.
Apr 1, 2015
BC
Went Gaudy. Case to be made for others, of course. Ratelle looked good at the prospects game last night. Add?

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I missed where gaudette has played in the NHL....or AHL...

If you want to use that as a guideline, you might want to remove Pettersson and Demko from consideration as well. Since neither have played in the NHL yet nor likely to play in the NHL next season. :laugh: Same for Dahlen (although he has a higher chance of playing next season if he stays in NA than the other 2). :laugh: Pettersson likely won't be in the AHL next season (unless his SHL season ends early and he comes over) and Dahlen is 50/50 (in terms of AHL/SHL).

We even had 2 players last year who didn't play in the AHL but made their NHL debuts (boeser and Molino). Stecher really skipped the AHL as well (unless you count those few games as actually playing in the AHL). Hutton was the same... basically playing in the AHL is not a useful guideline... nor is playing on and performing like a 3rd liner in the AHL (Virtanen spent more time on the 3rd line than anywhere else in Utica last season).

Of course based on the votes, i don't see the debate for him mounting to much until at least #8. :laugh: Of course the more i think about it, the more he drops (after reading the comments/replies and thinking about my last post, Virtanen is probably ~12 for me right now). :laugh: Plus its time i started voting for some Ds after voting Goldobin again @ #7 (didn't vote for Juolevi cause i voted for Dahlen when Juolevi won, i had Juolevi 1 spot lower). :laugh:

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Went with Goldobin though I see him as pretty fringe, he is playing professionally so that puts him ahead of a lot of these guys. Lockwood seems to always be hurt and I am still not sold on Gaudette. Virtanen/Subban are pretty much longshots at this point.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It's almost as if there's a training camp that highlights certain players in the poll.
Seriously, I'm high on Dahlen and Gaudette as well, but the voting distribution shows how short people's memories are and how easily influenced they can be.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Virtanen doesn't belong in the top ten. Seeing dozens of excuses that absolve Virtanen himself of personal responsibility for his own development as a professional hockey player. Like Y2K says, just completely ignore his draft position now that we're 3 years past his draft and look at his development curve. It's bad. It's very bad.

Last year was terrible but is everyone forgetting that he has looked good at the nhl level. The last couple months of his rookie year at 19 were good. He can be a player based off that year. This year will determine a lot. Goldy looked good with his opportunities as well. gaudette has shown terrific progress, like his attitude it seems he does not know he is not suppose to be this good. All three of these players have similar chances of being good nhl players. there is just less pressure on Gaudette at this point.

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
It's almost as if there's a training camp that highlights certain players in the poll.
Seriously, I'm high on Dahlen and Gaudette as well, but the voting distribution shows how short people's memories are and how easily influenced they can be.

Nah i just don't like goldobin

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I think people are writing him off to early. Let's give him some time. I think we wasted a year on his development.

What's hilarious is how we're writing Virtanen off too early when, in his Draft +3 season he puts up 9 goals and 19 points in 65 games in the AHL and often had been relegated to the 4th line, yet Hunter Shinkaruk in his Draft +3 season where he put up 21 goals and 39 points in 45 games for us (before being traded) and ending the season with 27 goals and 51 points in 62 games apparently was easy to write-off.

But apparently it's okay to give Virtanen a break because "we wasted a year of his development" when he was forced into the Canucks lineup, but we're not going to consider Shinkaruk's missed year of development when he went down with a serious hip injury and missed all but 15 games of his Draft +1 season.

The double-standard is crystal clear.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
What's hilarious is how we're writing Virtanen off too early when, in his Draft +3 season he puts up 9 goals and 19 points in 65 games in the AHL and often had been relegated to the 4th line, yet Hunter Shinkaruk in his Draft +3 season where he put up 21 goals and 39 points in 45 games for us (before being traded) and ending the season with 27 goals and 51 points in 62 games apparently was easy to write-off.

But apparently it's okay to give Virtanen a break because "we wasted a year of his development" when he was forced into the Canucks lineup, but we're not going to consider Shinkaruk's missed year of development when he went down with a serious hip injury and missed all but 15 games of his Draft +1 season.

You do of course realize that Shinkaruk and Virtannen are different people right? Seems to be something posters struggle with around here: different prospects are different prospects with different skill sets and each take their own unique development path.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You do of course realize that Shinkaruk and Virtannen are different people right? Seems to be something posters struggle with around here: different prospects are different prospects with different skill sets and each take their own unique development path.

That's nice.

You do realize the differing skillsets isn't enough to explain the massive discrepancy in their production, right?

But hey, throw out the "they're different people" card. Seems like a convenient cop out.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

To be fair, Virtanen is nearly a full year younger than Shinkaruk was in his D+3. JAke's D+3 looks similar to Shink's D+2 at basically the same age (which was also a massive disappointment.)

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

Yes, your double standard here is crystal clear because you do give a break to Shrink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad