This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
POLL #5 (118 votes)
Jonathan Dahlen - 91 votes
Nikolay Goldobin - 15 votes
Adam Gaudette - 11 votes
Jake Virtanen - 1 vote

Rank | Player | POS | 2016/17 Team | HT | WT | DOB | Drafted/Acquired | 2016 Rank | Poll% (Tot.)
1|Brock Boeser|RW|Vancouver (NHL)/Univ. of North Dakota (NCAA)|6.01|192|Feb 25 1997|23rd (2015)|1 (-)| 48.2%(166)
2|Elias Pettersson|C/LW|Timra IK (Allsve.)|6.02|165|Nov 12 1998|5th (2017)|NEW| 89.33%(150)
3|Olli Juolevi|D|London (OHL)|6.03|187|May 5 1998|5th (2016)|2 (-1)| 64.44%(180)
4|Thatcher Demko|G|Utica (AHL)|6.04|192|Dec 8 1995|36th (2014)|3rd (-1)| 62.11%(161)
5|Jonathan Dahlen|C|Timra IK (Allsve.)|5.11|176|Dec 20 1997|Trade via OTT (2017)|NEW| 77.12%(118)

dahlen,_jonathan.jpg

5. Jonathan Dahlen
2016/17 season: Timra IK - 45GP 25G 19A

- Dahlen a centrepiece of the next Canuck core

- The Province Canuck prospect profile - Jonathan Dahlen

Eligible prospects
Rodrigo Abols
Brock Boeser
Matthew Brassard
Guillaume Brisebois
Cole Candella
Michael Carcone
Cole Cassels
Anton Cederholm
Jalen Chatfield
Jonathan Dahlen
Thatcher Demko
Michael DiPietro
Jonah Gadjovich
Adam Gaudette
Nikolay Goldobin
Kristoffer Gunnarsson
Philip Holm
Lukas Jasek
Olli Juolevi
Joseph LaBate
Yan-Pavel Laplante
Kole Lind
William Lockwood
Zack MacEwen
Evan McEneny
Brett McKenzie
Griffen Molino
Petrus Palmu
Andrey Pedan
Elias Pettersson
Jack Rathbone
Ashton Sautner
Mackenzie Stewart
Jakub Stukel
Jordan Subban
Jake Virtanen
Dmitri Zhukenov

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Virtanen's a bust at this point. I don't know if I'd have him in the top 10. If you look at him, and ignore his draft position, there's not much of a prospect there.

I think people are writing him off to early. Let's give him some time. I think we wasted a year on his development.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Here's where it gets interesting.

I think I'll go with Gaudette here but there's 5 or 6 reasonable answers to this poll.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I think people are vastly underrating Goldobin...He has had 3 very successful pro seasons dating back to his season in Finland.

Gaudette looked great at camp and had a GREAT year in NCAA this year, but I think Goldobin has to be ahead of him for at least the time being.

Karl Childers*

Jun 18, 2017
I think people are writing him off to early. Let's give him some time. I think we wasted a year on his development.

I give him this year before I'll call him a bust. That said he has been a massive disappointment. Hopefully his shoulder(s) is 100 % and he can get his confidence and scoring touch back in the A,. Should be a fair bit more talent to play with down there this season. Having Willie Desjardins out of the organization will be a positive for some of the young guys.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
This is a tough one for me as I refuse to get excited about Gaudette before seeing him play an NHL or AHL game. Been down that road too many times. But I'm also not that high on Goldobin, this is pretty much his make or break year. I HATED the Virtanen pick given who was on board but he's still young enough that he could turn his career depending on the status of his shoulder injury. Strangely enough, I'm going with Virtanen.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Tough call between Goldobin and Gaudette for me. Went with Goldy as he's already proven to be a dominant AHL player and shown some potential at the NHL level.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Gaudette for me

Not big on Goldobin. Players that struggle to stick and produce in the NHL are pretty meh

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I voted for Goldobin last time, and now this time as well. I think he's being underrated. He's almost exactly one year older than Gaudette. Would you be pleased if Gaudette put up close to a point a game in the AHL next year?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Gaudette here, but I'd probably have Gadjovich, Lockwood or Lind next. They both at least have the mystery box upside, whereas Goldobin and Virtanen are both teetering on the line of fringe NHL'er/bust, barring a huge breakout.

Would expect anyone who (like me) still maintains that the Baertschi/Granlund trades were bad value to vote the same way. Jake's realistic upside at this point is to be a third liner in the mold of a better Jack Skille. Gadjovich may have a higher probability of reaching a lower floor than Jake, but he has to have a higher absolute ceiling still, otherwise he wasn't a very good second round pick.

Put another way; Goldobin right now is in no way better than Sven Baertschi was when he traded for him, and I would not trade another second round pick with a Gadjovich on the board for another Baertschi.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Whoops.

Meant Goldoblin. He's shown he's more NHL ready than Gaudette. Until we see Gaudette against some NHLers, we have to assume the more statistically probable, that it'll be a challenge for him.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Gaudette here, but I'd probably have Gadjovich, Lockwood or Lind next. They both at least have the mystery box upside, whereas Goldobin and Virtanen are both teetering on the line of fringe NHL'er/bust, barring a huge breakout.

Would expect anyone who (like me) still maintains that the Baertschi/Granlund trades were bad value to vote the same way. Jake's realistic upside at this point is to be a third liner in the mold of a better Jack Skille. Gadjovich may have a higher probability of reaching a lower floor than Jake, but he has to have a higher absolute ceiling still, otherwise he wasn't a very good second round pick.

Put another way; Goldobin right now is in no way better than Sven Baertschi was when he traded for him, and I would not trade another second round pick with a Gadjovich on the board for another Baertschi.

Let's be reality; Mystery box potential should be graded as about a 15% chance of becoming an NHLer, not "we have a shiny new toy and going to assume he's going to continue to improve with no roadblocks"

The correct bet is to assume one of skating, head for the game, skill, or size is going to prevent these guys from making the cut before assuming they'll be better than a guy that's already played games in the NHL. Goldoblin > even Virtanen > Mystery boxes (without outstanding skill)

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
This is a tough one for me as I refuse to get excited about Gaudette before seeing him play an NHL or AHL game. Been down that road too many times. But I'm also not that high on Goldobin, this is pretty much his make or break year. I HATED the Virtanen pick given who was on board but he's still young enough that he could turn his career depending on the status of his shoulder injury. Strangely enough, I'm going with Virtanen.

Did you refuse to get excited about Boeser until he played a pro game as well?

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Whoops.

Meant Goldoblin. He's shown he's more NHL ready than Gaudette. Until we see Gaudette against some NHLers, we have to assume the more statistically probable, that it'll be a challenge for him.

I agree level of competition is something to consider although as we've seen recently, it seems like NCAA is much closer to NHL these days than in the past. More and more high profile NCAA players are skipping the AHL and heading straight to the NHL. Before you dismiss Gaudette in the same category as other "high profile" NCAA prospects, remember he was one of the elite scorers last year and top 2nd year scoring in the NCAA so you can argue he's in the discussion as an elite NCAA prospect.

That said i did vote Goldobin tho i have a feeling (after the prospect game) than Gaudette will win #6. Reason being i was going to vote to Goldobin before the prospect game so i don't want to let 1 game influence my vote. Also the fact we didn't sign Gaudette yet plays a small part of valuing him slightly lower. Although all signs point to signing him being a non-issue, its still a small factor. Of course with that, it also means Gaudette won't make any impact on the team until at least March where as Goldobin could make the team right away or at least be an injury replacement (hard to imagine him not getting an opportunity by March given our injury history...).

Reason i think Gaudette will win #6 (or even higher if the prospect game was earlier)... he was by far the most complete player during the prospect game and probably raised his stock a lot with management in just 1 game. Of course its just one game but when you're playing with your peers (other prospects), it becomes a bigger game than your average game (just like a playoff game > regular season or cup final game > regular playoff game). Plus its the only meaningful game for 'nucks fan in a few months... that has to influence the vote. :laugh:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Goldobin for me, then maybe Virtanen then guaddette.

This has to be a sick joke NO WAY in hell can Virtanen even hold Gaudettes jock strap at this point AINEC :shakehead

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Let's be reality; Mystery box potential should be graded as about a 15% chance of becoming an NHLer, not "we have a shiny new toy and going to assume he's going to continue to improve with no roadblocks"

The correct bet is to assume one of skating, head for the game, skill, or size is going to prevent these guys from making the cut before assuming they'll be better than a guy that's already played games in the NHL. Goldoblin > even Virtanen > Mystery boxes (without outstanding skill)

But that logic can only extend so far, as you've indicated with the outstanding skill comment.

Nail Yakupov has played numerous NHL games. Would you give up anyone in the Canucks top-10 for him? Even if odds say that Yakupov has already accomplished more than at least 5-6 of the 10?

There's a reasonability test at play here. I'd still highly value a kid like Dylan Strome despite him being a high pick with a rocky start who has lost a bit of his mystery box allure. Even argued that Yakupov could be worth a shot for free here.

But if we assess Lind as being a fair pick at #33, then Lind > Goldobin. I simply would not want to move a 33rd pick for Goldobin, which is how I'm assessing this.

Last edited:

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
This has to be a sick joke NO WAY in hell can Virtanen even hold Gaudettes jock strap at this point AINEC :shakehead

I agree... i'm not sure if Virtanen is even in my top 10... :laugh:

I expect Virtanen to have a rebound year/better year but after a 19 pt in 65 game season (in Utica), his stock has to have dropped. Also remember next year is also his last year of waiver exemption so he has to be in the NHL or clear waivers after next season. That means odds are he'll be a 4th liner in 2 season and develop from 4th line minutes... (unless he has an exceptional year next year), not exactly a great situation to develop. That both drops his value and probability he reaches his potential.

Just to put things in prospective... Michael Carcone was undrafted and only a few months older than Virtanen (same year, May vs Aug birthdate). He put up 18 points in 61 games so similar production but do we hear discussion of him in the top 10? Sure their potential is different but both are known to be offensive players who have weakness in their own end so their production is more meaningful than say Gaudatee who can contribute even if he doesn't score. Virtanen does bring a physical game that Carcone doesn't bring and has more potential but we're not even going to discuss Carcone until probably 15 or later... so Virtanen to me is like 10 or later. :laugh:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Virtanen doesn't belong in the top ten. Seeing dozens of excuses that absolve Virtanen himself of personal responsibility for his own development as a professional hockey player. Like Y2K says, just completely ignore his draft position now that we're 3 years past his draft and look at his development curve. It's bad. It's very bad.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Did you refuse to get excited about Boeser until he played a pro game as well?

Yup, although I was fine with the pick at the time too. I personally wanted Konecny due to familiarity but it wasn't even slightly close to a Jake vs Ehlers/Nylander or Juolevi vs Tkachuck situation.

If they have a really strong WJC showing though I might get excited, I'm only human.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad