Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 @ Stars 3 || Quietest GDT Ever but we made it to a shootout.... but lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
Edler is painful to watch.

It's hard to imagine someone with less vision, and play-making ability.

I think he and Hutton have completed the most tape to tape streach passes on this team from the back end so I don't know why people would think he has none.

Is he an ideal player for a PP? Probably a second unit but I can't put any blame on him. He doesn't make personel decisions, that's on Willie himself.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Errorhoff was our best offensive d man when he was here. Salo was great on the PP as well. We've clearly lacked a guy who can run the point on the PP over the last few years, as Edler has gone into more of a defensive dman

The only thing Edler lacks is a quick release. He's got everything else and its the reason he plays so well with the Sedins. However, lacking a quick release is a pretty major issue when you're not paired with a guys like Salo or Ehrhoff.

Edler also struggles at times with consistency and the mental part of the game. Focus I guess. When he plays well he's a #1 defender. When he struggles, he's a top four guy with issues.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Nothing gets your blood going quite like when Edler decides to play really physical hockey.

There was a game in that 2011 Chicago series where he did that (and played exactly the way he did against LA), I recall.

Actually, now that I think of it, Edler was extremely underrated during that run-- There were a couple of key pivotal games that could have been turning points for the opposition, where Edler was absolutely dominant and was the biggest factor for the win (I recall that it was always around game 5 when he did this). Yet everyone else seemed to get more credit.

He was a bigger game/series-changer during that run than Bieksa was, IMO.

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
It's not surprising Edler doesn't play as physical as he should. Look at the complete BS suspensions he has gotten for clean hits.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Oh hey, I still remember the 2010 LA series fondly. Edler was such a beast. Like he was never off the ice. I wish that guy would make an appearance once in a while.

Canucks didn't play the Kings in 10/11 post season.

Canucks played the Kings in the 11/12 post season (or otherwise known as the-coming-out-party-of-Drew-Doughty-and-Anze-Kopitar) and Edler had a horrific series. He handled that puck like a grenade and constantly gave it up.

Which series are you thinking of?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Canucks played the Kings in the 11/12 post season (or otherwise known as the-coming-out-party-of-Drew-Doughty-and-Anze-Kopitar) and Edler had a horrific series. He handled that puck like a grenade and constantly gave it up.

I believe he's referring to 2009-10 when we beat the Kings in 6 games to advance to round 2.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Already answered the question, but worth quoting just to agree with you on how terrible Edler was in the 11/12 series with LA.

His best and worst performances as a dman were both against LA two years apart. I still have flashbacks about that drop pass to Dustin Brown at the blueline.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Edler, Hamhuis to Dallas for Lindell, Honka + w.e cap we need to take back

wishful but if they add those 2 with Klingberg... o man

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Already answered the question, but worth quoting just to agree with you on how terrible Edler was in the 11/12 series with LA.

His best and worst performances as a dman were both against LA two years apart. I still have flashbacks about that drop pass to Dustin Brown at the blueline.

Edler destroying Doughty in 2010 when he tried to drive the net.

Edler destroying Kane at the blueline in 2011 when he tried to dangle his way through?

That's the Edler I miss.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Edler got 2 underserved suspensions

I don't blame him on not being physical enough. His skating and shot selection are troubling

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Edler got 2 underserved suspensions

I don't blame him on not being physical enough. His skating and shot selection are troubling

He's also had just as many back injuries that took him out of the lineup. I think that may be more of him looking out and not re-aggravating it.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
It's not surprising Edler doesn't play as physical as he should. Look at the complete BS suspensions he has gotten for clean hits.

Good point... I wonder how much, if at all, that has played into the player he is now.

I still believe the back injury is the biggest reason why he probably didn't, or never will, reach his full potential.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Edler destroying Doughty in 2010 when he tried to drive the net.

Edler destroying Kane at the blueline in 2011 when he tried to dangle his way through?

That's the Edler I miss.

He made a brief comeback during the first two periods of Game One versus Calgary, only to disappear again.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
This isn't about the points they produce, it's the scoring chances against. Sure, everyone makes mistakes sometimes, they're only human. But it's the same mistakes the same way that cause those totally needless breakdowns. Pucks lazily thrown up the middle of the ice. Pucks reflexively thrown up the boards to nobody except the waiting player wearing the wrong colours. Lost one on one battles. Flubbed passes. Flubbed shots. And just plain bad decisions. While these issues are obviously progressively worse the further down the lineup you go, I still don't hold out much hope for anything in the playoffs assuming we're even in there.

"Anything can happen, look at LA!" Yeah, okay. We're just short a Norris candidate, a Vezina candidate, a Selke candidate, and previous success to draw upon.

There are literally stats for this. Edler is the best defenceman on the Canucks in terms of scoring chance differential. Both are excellent possession players. As a pairing they're one of the best in the league.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
This isn't about the points they produce, it's the scoring chances against. Sure, everyone makes mistakes sometimes, they're only human. But it's the same mistakes the same way that cause those totally needless breakdowns. Pucks lazily thrown up the middle of the ice. Pucks reflexively thrown up the boards to nobody except the waiting player wearing the wrong colours. Lost one on one battles. Flubbed passes. Flubbed shots. And just plain bad decisions. While these issues are obviously progressively worse the further down the lineup you go, I still don't hold out much hope for anything in the playoffs assuming we're even in there.

"Anything can happen, look at LA!" Yeah, okay. We're just short a Norris candidate, a Vezina candidate, a Selke candidate, and previous success to draw upon.

Bang on, edler has been part of the problem for a few years now. The earlier we trade him the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig