Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2, Sharks 3: Barker saves our bacon, but San Jose "Fry's" us in the SO

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Only caught the third period. Seriously exciting game! Couldn't ask for a more thrilling third period. Looks like the Sedin line and the Raymond centering Hansen and Higgins is really showing some chemistry, and nice to see Booth and Kassian working so well together. It would be great to give Schroeder a look between them, as others have pointed out.

Really liking Garrison's improved play and confidence with his team mates. Edler was a gong show, but once they get him a steady right side guy to work with (Tanev or someone coming in a trade), he'll settle down. Tough to see him struggle so much as he's such a great player.

Those two goals on Schneider didn't look that great, but same as Luongo, he looked a little rusty. It's an interesting problem Cory and Lu are facing, and I think we should be giving them a little more slack given the situation.

The Canucks looked freaking dominant against the Sharks, but man they sure do have trouble scoring. So many chances and they just couldn't lift the puck up. So strange. A guy like Kane would have had 6 goals this evening if he were playing with the Sedins. Burrows just couldn't do anything with the puck.

Another point and more team improvement showing.

On to the next.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Only the last 2 games, wasn't in game shape before that.

Schroeder has been given a lot of chances, playing with good players, and hasn't produced...pts/60 is very low (lowest on team), he's on the score sheet for only 40% of GF - this is very low for a forward.

Yeah but Schroeder is effectively muzzled because he knew he had to be responsible defensively or he would be demoted. Then he got demoted anyways. Plus, he generated lots of chances but his linemates didn't finish. Of course his stats are going to suck. I've been happy the way he played all 200 feet so far this year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My last post on that horrid goal.

That's putrid. It's not like it was hOssa or Patrick Sharp there. It's 4th liner Adam Burish.

Doesn't matter who shot the puck - a good shot is a good shot. Burish won't pick a corner like that very often but he did on that occasion.

It was stoppable but certainly not a terrible goal.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
And Cammaleri has a much harder shot and is using a defenseman as a screen. They're both horrible goals, which was exactly my point.

but i would argue that it wasnt Cammaleri's hardest shot he can take. Having the ablility to shoot hard doesnt mean the shot was actually hard. I dont think the shot itself was any better than Burish's shot.

Crows*

Just gotta add something:

Sedins look amazing 5 on 5. Ever since Sundin was here, it seems Henrik has learned how to be incredibly strong on the puck behind the net, exactly the way sundin used to dominate.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I agree with you. I'm not throwing them under the bus at all. As I have posted in the other threads and this one, the powerplay is the main reason they are losing games right now. They score 1 pp goal in calgary.. they win, they score 1 tonight.. they win.

Just annoying when both things go wrong at once. Early in the year our goalies were not giving up bad goals at all, masking our bad pp. Now both are happening at once and, all i'm saying is that it's very frustrating.

Oh definitely we are on the same page, I just get a little worked up when I see pages and pages of goal critique lol.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010

Sedins look amazing 5 on 5. Ever since Sundin was here, it seems Henrik has learned how to be incredibly strong on the puck behind the net, exactly the way sundin used to dominate.

Yeah I was noticing this tonight as well. Amazed at how much stronger they've become over the years.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Ever since their slow start, the Sedins have played exceptionally well, and i have also been very impressed with their 5 on 5 play

arsmaster*

Doesn't matter who shot the puck - a good shot is a good shot. Burish won't pick a corner like that very often but he did on that occasion.

It was stoppable but certainly not a terrible goal.

Ok. This is my last post on it this time.

Proves my belief Schneids gets a free pass around here. If that was Lu he'd be crucified.

Pick a corner? Are you serious?

That puck went through Schneids.

Horrendous goal. Not even a great shot.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012

I love the way these two have been playing (especially Henrik). One of the few bright spots so far this season (though I bet the team builds off tonight's game). I hope they can keep up their fantastic play.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
but i would argue that it wasnt Cammaleri's hardest shot he can take. Having the ablility to shoot hard doesnt mean the shot was actually hard. I dont think the shot itself was any better than Burish's shot.

Burish's shot was better and it came from a fair bit closer as well. There should be no question in anyone's mind which goal was worse. Canuck fans are notorious for their poor judgement when it comes to goaltending. This is simply another case of that. Stoppable sure. Putrid? Yeah, putrid assessment.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Ok. This is my last post on it this time.

Proves my belief Schneids gets a free pass around here. If that was Lu he'd be crucified.

Pick a corner? Are you serious?

That puck went through Schneids.

Horrendous goal. Not even a great shot.

I would argue, that although i have a pro-Schnieder bias, you have a strong Luongo bias as well and would be defending him endlessly if he let that in

King of Anarchy

Sep 30, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

I think it's the complete opposite. I may be delusional, but I've noticed that Schneider has a shorter leash with the fans now that he's the unofficial starting goalie.

Either way.. bottom line, we have bigger fish to fry right now.

arsmaster*

I would argue, that although i have a pro-Schnieder bias, you have a strong Luongo bias as well and would be defending him endlessly if he let that in

Nope.

I crucified him for the Cammalleri goal even though it was a trickier shot to handle.

I'm not Y2K LOL.

But that Burish goal stank (maybe my hatred for Burish is the bias).

Awful. NHL goalies have to stop that. It's what 45 feet out and a wrister that went right through him.

I like both our goalies. I do my best not to have a bias. I try to hold them to the same standard.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I think it's the complete opposite. I may be delusional, but I've noticed that Schneider has a shorter leash with the fans now that he's the unofficial starting goalie.

it's about 50/50 imo, there are vocal fans on either side and it doesnt matter who lets in a weak goal, half will defend him and half will exaggerate it and call him out for it.

I agree, goltending is not our biggest problem

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
He had 5 prime shooting position shots and he waits until it can be blocked or until the goalie is in position.

No over reaction... Truth hurts! Deal with it. Edler was brutal again missing checks, and on the pp playing off the half boards?!?!? Why is Schroeder on the point?!?! Edler is smart enough to wheel out and up.

Team will never win with AV period.

What?

Maybe it came across different on TV but at the game the PP looked absolutely unreal. Couldn't bury chances, but they were generating them. That's more than you can say some nights for the PP>

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

That goal was probably the biggest fish in that game (and it wasn't a very big one). The team dominated in every other way and didn't get any bounces. Hell, even the much criticized PP generated a whole ton of chances compared to some of our other games.

There's really not much to same about a game like this. Did almost everything right and got **** luck. Happens, move on and bring that same game and effort in the future. The only concern being that we match up well against the Sharks and this might very well not translate against other teams.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
What?

Maybe it came across different on TV but at the game the PP looked absolutely unreal. Couldn't bury chances, but they were generating them. That's more than you can say some nights for the PP>

ya, we lacked a few bounces that would normally go it. Edler put something like 7-8 shots on net. But Eder did look to struggle tonigh, especially on that 4-3 where he passed in into a shaks stick twice and was lucky not to get burned. We needed some guys to shoot the puck and not look for the absolute perfect shot, but i thought it was better than most nights

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Both the goals Luongo and Schneider let in were bad. If Bryzgalov has let one of those same goals in, I'm laughing at the fact and calling it a bad goal. Doesn't change when it's Luongo/Schneider. Both were equally as bad, and trying to pinpoint which one is worse is just bias towards which goalie you like, and trying to justify it wasn't as bad as the other goalies. They were both bad goals to be letting in, can it not end at that?

What?

It didn't.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
That goal was probably the biggest fish in that game (and it wasn't a very big one). The team dominated in every other way and didn't get any bounces. Hell, even the much criticized PP generated a whole ton of chances compared to some of our other games.

There's really not much to same about a game like this. Did almost everything right and got **** luck. Happens, move on and bring that same game and effort in the future. The only concern being that we match up well against the Sharks and this might very well not translate against other teams.

our lack of finish (in the Calgary game as well) is way more concerning. Ya, we have been somewhat unlucky, but we are waiting too long and not shooting when we should. We should of scored more than we did

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Definitely agree. They play behind the goal-line a lot like Mats used to.

Crows*

Definitely agree. They play behind the goal-line a lot like Mats used to.

It's downright beautiful to watch. They are playing as good as they did in the 2011 run season. The only difference is the powerplay sucks, that's the only reason why they're PPG and not 100 to 110 point pace.

Ryan96

Mar 1, 2013
Vancouver
I still don't get why the only guy ever in front of the net is Bur. Higgins did it tonight and we scored, we need to do this more often. I would like to see Kassian there, maybe on the PP too.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Frustrating that this team seems to find ways to lose.

--PP has zero puck luck right now. Not helping that everyone's looking for the perfect shot, and not helping that Schroeder's on the point.

--Sedins dominant yet again, but just didn't go in for them.

--I want Barker off this team NOW. Mind-boggling. He's lost out there. Just bloody lost.

--Was Lappy stoned? Dragging Booth and Kassian down like an anchor. He's been terrible lately. Whatever the hell's going on with him, he needs to shape up like yesterday.

--WTF is Schroeder doing on the 4th line?! He's got nothing to work with there, just nothing. We may as well just have a 5 minutes a game 4th line with Sestito, Lappy and Weise. Trying to spread out too few effective players on too many lines.

--If a bad game is enough to land Ballard in the press box for two games, Edler should by all rights scratched for a week. He was a complete moron out there tonight.

--Losing all patience with AV. A game of inches, and right now those inches are being handed away from bad personnel decisions. Schroeder on the PP point, Schroeder on the 4th line, Barker existing at all, Edler in the SO...it's adding up.

--Sucks to be Ballard. Man, it really sucks. Injured again just when he's being given a chance to Barker-sit (and probably blamed for bad things happening).

--2nd line looking really good, but is this the combo that can actually pitch in regularly enough to take the heat off the Sedins? And will AV give it a chance to work?

Sucks, man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad