Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2, Sharks 3: Barker saves our bacon, but San Jose "Fry's" us in the SO

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Well nothing new there.

Do you think we are going to go on a break-out run soon? This team certainly has the potential too but we aren't getting the puck luck to lately I guess.

Not sure. We match up really well against the Sharks these days and they've been a truly crap team since their hot start, so I don't really know what to think. Probably not, but I'm pretty pessimistic these days.

arsmaster*

Watched the Burish goal about 5 times now, Schneider could of played it better but it wasnt near as bad as some are making it out to be. The shot was from the top of the faceoff circle :dunno:

Not screened short handed.

That'd be like Weise doing the same thing to another goalie.

It's horrendous but I'm ready to move on. I think you're the only one defending it.

Crows*

Watched the Burish goal about 5 times now, Schneider could of played it better but it wasnt near as bad as some are making it out to be. The shot was from the top of the faceoff circle :dunno:

schnu whiffed on it though. It tipped off his glove.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Really like Raymond at center, that line has been great. Regardless I think the moves to make are for a top nine center and a depth RHD.

Very entertaining game.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

8nKyHFL.jpg

AJj2POu.jpg

If you think that makes one of them much worse than the other then I can't really help you.

Outside99*

^Edler is an offensive defenseman, he needs to play with a solid RHD like Tanev to be most effective. same as the Bieksa situation. That pairing would be as good as Hamhuis-Bieksa IMO. Problem tonight is with all the PP's and Ballard's injury, the pairings were a bit of a mess.

Btw, I'm pretty sure Schroeder has been on for both shorties against (and almost a 3rd). Wouldn't happen with Tanev out there.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Not screened short handed.

That'd be like Weise doing the same thing to another goalie.

It's horrendous but I'm ready to move on. I think you're the only one defending it.

It was a bad goal, but some are making it out to much worse than it was. Being short handed has nothing to do with the quality of the oppertunity, I have no idea why you brought that up.

I'm done now

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I rewatched that 1st goal, while schneider should have had the 2nd, the first goal was not his fault, deflected off schroeders stick, for those wanting him to play out further clowe was by himself behind edler standing beside the net, if he came out further he would have been toast if that bounced to clowe unless were assuming edler would have turned around and covered him.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Only in Vancouver is a wrist shot from the top of the faceoff circle on a partial breakaway considered a horrible goal. It was stoppable, yet not a goal fans in any other city would complain about.

I almost prefer Barker to Alberts at this point. At least Barker moves the puck up to the forwards in stride - something Alberts might do once every 4 or 5 games.

Garrison continues to be a rock. Over a dozen games now where he's been steady and reliable, with just 1 bad game sprinkled in there.

Why so little talk about the process tonight?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

Schneids is weak only when he's not getting good reads. I think he played both shots perfectly from a technical perspective. But when you don't see the puck off the stick, it makes it easy to give up goals like that. I'd say the first goal was meh, and the second was a total blunder.

He made lots of good saves after and only two goals in total. Not too bad IMO.

I guess it's too much to ask us to score >2 goals? Lol. In that case, horrible performance. :P

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
If you think that makes one of them much worse than the other then I can't really help you.

I dont think it was much worse, I dont know why people keep saying that, I said it was clearly worse. It's like saying 1245 is clearly larger than 1240, but it isnt "much larger"

Anyways, our PP is a much bigger issue than an obvisouly small matter of which goalie let in the worse goal.

Crows*

Schneids is weak only when he's not getting good reads. I think he played both shots perfectly from a technical perspective. But when you don't see the puck off the stick, it makes it easy to give up goals like that. I'd say the first goal was meh, and the second was a total blunder.

He made lots of good saves after and only two goals in total. Not too bad IMO.

I guess it's too much to ask us to score >2 goals? Lol. In that case, horrible performance. :P

not a horrible performance.. it's just frustrating lately when the team plays a good game, both goalies are letting in 1 bad goal per game and it seems to be costing them points and wins. Also everything is just so magnified because it's a shortened season.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I rewatched that 1st goal, while schneider should have had the 2nd, the first goal was not his fault, deflected off schroeders stick, for those wanting him to play out further clowe was by himself behind edler standing beside the net, if he came out further he would have been toast if that bounced to clowe unless were assuming edler would have turned around and covered him.

Exactly. There was a high tipper and Clowe on the backdoor play. You can't play top of the crease on that, or the backdoor pass will make you look bad. I still think he could have gotten a better read on it though. If he blocked to his right he may have still gotten it.

arsmaster*

Only in Vancouver is a wrist shot from inside the dots on a partial breakaway considered a horrible goal. It was stoppable, yet not a goal fans in any other city would complain about.

I almost prefer Barker to Alberts at this point. At least Barker moves the puck up to the forwards in stride - something Alberts might do once every 4 or 5 games.

Garrison continues to be a rock. Over a dozen games now where he's been steady and reliable, with just 1 bad game sprinkled in there.

My last post on that horrid goal.

That's putrid. It's not like it was hOssa or Patrick Sharp there. It's 4th liner Adam Burish.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010

People only like to talk about how awful the process is when we win, because they can't complain about the end result.

When we lose, they complain more about the end result, and the process takes a back seat until our next win.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
not a horrible performance.. it's just frustrating lately when the team plays a good game, both goalies are letting in 1 bad goal per game and it seems to be costing them points and wins. Also everything is just so magnified because it's a shortened season.

Lu and Schneids have a huge amount of credit built up over 1.5 years of them being great and the team mediocre. The team has a lot of catching up to do, these couple of games we should be able to bail them out.

Outside99*

I don't get the booth waking up talk (I get the intended joke) just don't know why some are suggesting he's been sleeping.

He's been good every game he's played his year. Chances are there. It's only a matter of time.

And please, please let Kassian and booth play with Schroeder. That is killing me.

Lappy with Weise and Sestito has the makings of a great 4th line, and booth and Kassian are almost the perfect (on paper) linemates for Schroeder.

Only the last 2 games, wasn't in game shape before that.

Schroeder has been given a lot of chances, playing with good players, and hasn't produced...pts/60 is very low (lowest on team), he's on the score sheet for only 40% of GF - this is very low for a forward.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Lu and Schneids have a huge amount of credit built up over 1.5 years of them being great and the team mediocre. The team has a lot of catching up to do, these couple of games we should be able to bail them out.

Completely agree, i actually felt our great goal tending last year gave us such a false sense of how good we were last year heading into playoffs.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
8nKyHFL.jpg

AJj2POu.jpg

The Burish shot was probably 6-8 feet closer when it leaves his stick than the Cammalleri shot. That's a pretty big difference in terms of shot quality.

Definately a goal Schneider wants back. Just not horrific like some have claimed.

Crows*

I agree with you. I'm not throwing them under the bus at all. As I have posted in the other threads and this one, the powerplay is the main reason they are losing games right now. They score 1 pp goal in calgary.. they win, they score 1 tonight.. they win.

Just annoying when both things go wrong at once. Early in the year our goalies were not giving up bad goals at all, masking our bad pp. Now both are happening at once and, all i'm saying is that it's very frustrating.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

That's putrid. It's not like it was hOssa or Patrick Sharp there. It's 4th liner Adam Burish.

Well, they changed the 'process' and it worked. We were putting lots more low shots on the nets and basically throwing everything in that direction. We had more net-front presence and a general elevation of effort level. There was more of a conscious effort to generate rebounds and/or go after them.

So, there you go.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
The Burish shot was probably 6-8 feet closer when it leaves his stick than the Cammalleri shot. That's a pretty big difference in terms of shot quality.

Definately a goal Schneider wants back. Just not horrific like some have claimed.

And Cammaleri has a much harder shot and is using a defenseman as a screen. They're both horrible goals, which was exactly my point.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

I think you are exaggerating here, it was a bad goal, but "horrid" and "putrid" should be left for goals from the blue line and from behind the net/in the corner. You know, truly terrible goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad