Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 - LA 1 (SO) Part 3 -- "We knew we could beat them." - Henrik

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Fans consistently make it sound like the team played well when they get a SOW, and played poorly when they get a SOL. This is nonsense, and plays right into what Bettman wants moreover.

They do?

Most of the fans I see hate the shootout, refer to it as a glorified skills competition, and dislike it deciding games. I don't think too many people are suffering under any delusions that shootout outcomes somehow dictate potential playoff results.

The optimism stemming from this game arises from the pushback and territorial edge the Canucks enjoyed after about the 10 minute mark of the first period. It was still anyone's game, but the Canucks were carrying the bulk of the play.

If you want to take a 'glass is half empty' approach to what was a pretty significant two points, you could speculate about a Kings team that is probably completely out of gas after three long post-season runs and a tooth and nail scrap just to get into playoff position this year. They looked pretty tired out there at times. Like they were REALLY hoping that 1-0 lead would hold up and the air went out of their tires when it didn't.

arsmaster*

I get the sense that Kenins will score a big goal for us in the playoffs. He's had a TON of chances recently and his game is well suited to the playoffs.

He just needs to stay away from the drop passes and the circling back.

Yeah, his goals this year were flukes. He's been getting better chances lately than the ones he put in to start. If he wasn't getting chances I'd understand questioning him, but he is.

I agree on the circling back, that's the issue. The drop passes are a team thing, you know the guy behind him is screaming for it, sometimes you can even hear them calling for it. I'm more concerned with the circling back and painting himself into that little corner of the offensive zone.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm still going to disagree. He has the puck in the right end, creates chances, has more shots at net than his opponents.

I know he hasn't be playing the "straight lines" way that Dorsett is famous for, and he's tried to make too many plays instead of being simple, but "hasn't been good" is strange. He's been snake bitten not to get on the scoresheet. He's a more effective player than a lot of the passengers on this club, but he's a rookie so he's the first scratch.

For me Matthias needs a wake up call. He's the scratch at LW for me, and they need to stop the Dorsett over Kenins switch late, it's pretty much a signal to the other team they're going to have the puck the whole shift.

edit* He was poor against the Blackhawks in recent games, but was good against Nashville, St Louis, Dallas and last night. So 4 out of his last 6 were good games.

Kenins last night looked back to the player that originally forced his way into the lineup. It's been a couple weeks since we've seen that guy, at least in my opinion.

In regards to him vs Dorsett, I just think Dorsett was going to make the safe plays to get the game to overtime. That's all they cared about - which 9 forwards will kill the clock so we can get this precious point. Even those who think Kenins has played good recently have to admit he's been prone to some turnovers lately and he's a hard player to trust given his recent play.

As for Matthias, I don't know. I'd like to see more, but this line is a terrible fit for him. The move isn't to scratch Matthias, it's to get Vey out of the lineup and try something different.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Same here, I still believe in Miller
With that been said, it's Lack's net right now (At least for the rest of the season)
Unless he really drops the ball in the playoffs

This is also how I see it.

I do want Miller back because Markstrom doesn't give me any confidence as a back up and I think a rusty Miller is still better.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
What a beautiful performance from the twins. To know that they're dialed in when we need them the most is a comforting feeling to have back again. Probably one of their best games all year, the way every pass they made put so much space between them and LA...that no-look pass was pure, vintage wizardry. When the twins are on, we can not only compete with, but we can beat the LAs and Chicagos and NYRs and Montreals of this league.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That was a hell of a game to watch from both teams really, goalies took turns being awesome as well. Better team won again, hopefully we'll see you guys again ;)

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
They do?

Most of the fans I see hate the shootout, refer to it as a glorified skills competition, and dislike it deciding games. I don't think too many people are suffering under any delusions that shootout outcomes somehow dictate potential playoff results.

The optimism stemming from this game arises from the pushback and territorial edge the Canucks enjoyed after about the 10 minute mark of the first period. It was still anyone's game, but the Canucks were carrying the bulk of the play.

If you want to take a 'glass is half empty' approach to what was a pretty significant two points, you could speculate about a Kings team that is probably completely out of gas after three long post-season runs and a tooth and nail scrap just to get into playoff position this year. They looked pretty tired out there at times. Like they were REALLY hoping that 1-0 lead would hold up and the air went out of their tires when it didn't.

I think the Kings miss Mitchell and Voynov big time. They ate decent minutes and were steller defensively. And Quick had his game mode going last night. That's how good the Sedins play was.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Has Willie played Burrows at all in the shootout? I imagine he's the #4 guy, but you have to think that's not super-wise (no disrespect to Higgins for his sweet move last night).

could've sworn burrows has scored for us in the shootout this year...just can't remember when. so hey, maybe i'm wrong. but i think he has.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
I think the Kings miss Mitchell and Voynov big time. They ate decent minutes and were steller defensively. And Quick had his game mode going last night. That's how good the Sedins play was.

They also miss Sekera. How many games did he even play before getting injured?

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
am i the only one who gets the impression that, despite lack's play, benning/desjardins just can't wait to put miller back in?

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Has Willie played Burrows at all in the shootout? I imagine he's the #4 guy, but you have to think that's not super-wise (no disrespect to Higgins for his sweet move last night).

Nashville. So yeah, last shoot out before this one.

Edit: no wait, the one before that. St Louis. burrows was ejected from the game in out last SO.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
They also miss Sekera. How many games did he even play before getting injured?

He played 16 games with the Kings before the injury.

And not that his loss didn't hurt, but last night was the first loss since Sekera went down (including the night of his injury).

The tough thing for the Kings is that Sekera had just started to settle in and really start contributing when he got hurt.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
am i the only one who gets the impression that, despite lack's play, benning/desjardins just can't wait to put miller back in?

I feel the same way just because of that god awful contract. If Lack slips up slightly I expect Miller to be handed the reins again. There's also Willie's multiple questionable lineup decisions to consider...

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yes you are.

Desjardins has spoken really highly of lack.

Yup.

People around here have such a paranoia regarding this team. We had a 95% chance of making the playoffs and people were still scared about losing the last three games and missing the playoffs. Now that we are essentially locked in, time to move onto the next worse-case scenario to freak out about. Then when they inevitably announce Lack as the Game 1 starter, it will be something else.

Last edited:

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Yup.

People around here have such a paranoia regarding this team. We had a 95% chance of making the playoffs and people were still scared about losing the last three games and missing the playoffs. Now that we are essentially locked in, time to move onto the next worse-case scenario to freak out about. Then when they inevitable announce Lack as the Game 1 starter, it will be something else.

Lather, rinse, repeat just with a different shampoo.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Whod of thought at the start of the year wed get 100+ pts?? Guess WD coached pretty well even tho we critizize him a lot. Good job Nucks! :)

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Whod of thought at the start of the year wed get 100+ pts?? Guess WD coached pretty well even tho we critizize him a lot. Good job Nucks! :)

Errr....need to get 3 points out of two games to hit 100 pts. Not unlikely, but far from a lock.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yup.

People around here have such a paranoia regarding this team. We had a 95% chance of making the playoffs and people were still scared about losing the last three games and missing the playoffs. Now that we are essentially locked in, time to move onto the next worse-case scenario to freak out about. Then when they inevitably announce Lack as the Game 1 starter, it will be something else.

It probably comes in part from long years of being a Canuck's fan.
I won't breathe a sigh of relief until we mathematically clinch.:laugh:

TheCrazedMadman

Aug 31, 2010
Since we're essentially a "lock", do we put Markstrom or Miller in for one of the next 2 games? (if hes up for it that is), or keep playing lack?

arsmaster*

I think the second Miller declares himself ready to play he'll back up, the first sign of a let off from lack (a loss or a soft goal in a win) and it will be Miller's crease.

I don't think that is paranoia, that's pretty much the expectation you get when you sign a guy for $6m/yr.

Eddie will have an extremely short leash the second Miller declares himself fit.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
People around here have such a paranoia regarding this team. We had a 95% chance of making the playoffs and people were still scared about losing the last three games and missing the playoffs.

I'm not counting my damned chickens until that last egg hatches. I'm still desperately afraid of losing out on a spot.

Can't ask for a much better schedule though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad