Post-Game Talk: Canucks 1 vs. Blue Jackets 2 OT | Tort-al Victory, Corspe of Salo wins. PunsRGood

Status
Not open for further replies.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Too bad on a few levels

- wasted a good effort and lost when they should have won

- got a point when if they are going to miss the playoffs better to miss big time.

- Vrbata's trade value suffering

Good

Edler - had some good jump coming off the break. Team came out flat in the first and Edler really had to play well to keep them in it

Vey - getting Etem seems to have awaken his inner Gaudreau. Puck and passing were very good. Even moved the puck decently out his own zone. Think his linemates could have made better use of some of the service he was providing. Fighting for a spot and bringing it every game

Miller - playing well but the team needs to give Markstrom more work. Maybe better for tank if they play Miller b/c team seems to score more with Markstrom in

Others

lot of meh in Sutter's play. Can see where the Penguin fans were coming from. It's not that he's bad but he's kind of invisible and just not noticeable most of the time. Can suddenly show up at times because he has a good turn of speed but mostly perimeter guy. Does not appear to be good at moving the puck.

Thought McCann played well. However, maybe he doesn't have the confidence in his shot that he had at the beginning of the season. Too bad about the penalty

Hutton - Sbisa were generally pretty good. Sbisa had the one bone head play but overall they've been pretty good at recovering back on chances against and contributed some to the offense. Thought they were better than the Bart - Biega combo which is having trouble contributing much to the offense. Could see one of them coming out of the line up when Hamhuis comes back. Prefer Bart to get the PB.. Guess Weber gets waived or hopefully traded (maybe feeble hope here)

H. Sedin missed a ton of chances. Anything close to accurate and Canucks win. Old axiom that if the "Sedins don't score, the Canucks don't win" kind of proved out in this one.

Real miss when we drafted Jensen instead of Jenner. Looked to be at the time and sure is now

Columbus is bad. Any luck in the lottery and they should get Matthews.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I feel like this has some potential. All it needs is a Vrbata or Hamhuis head swap.

dpFBZOs.jpg

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
It is done. Who else can we realistically sell? Maybe we can find someone scraggly looking for a Weber one. He doesn't deserve a suit.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
It is done. Who else can we realistically sell? Maybe we can find someone scraggly looking for a Weber one. He doesn't deserve a suit.

I heard that Vey guy is playing well. maybe someone is dumb enough to trade for him?

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
This team has checked out. The fans have won. Sorry Bo, Jared and Jake. Sell all but the Sedins and the kids. Cmon Benning you can do it!

This loss is so good for the tank I feel like we clinched the division but the opposite.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
It's time for ownership and management to stop wishfully thinking, and accept reality.

Hammer for a first, and Vrby for a second.

The fans are ready for this.

When will this stop..... NOBODY is paying a 1st round pick for 20 games of Dan Humhuis' services. What world do you think this is?

Prust , Raymond , Halischuk, Higgins are worth less than a 7th round pick. Scale it up a few notches for Hammer , maybe a 2nd if your lucky ....probably a 3rd. He's a declining asset that has had a miserable year in both play and health, on an expiring contract.

Enough with this 1st round pick nonsense.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Wow. The updated NHL gamecenter has pretty much ****ed my ability to capture.

**** you Bettman.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I'm willing to bet my house on Dan Hamhuis getting more than a 3rd round pick if traded, care to put your money where your mouth is? This isn't me attacking you man, but I just strongly disagree. If you're looking at precedence league wide Hamhuis should return a 1st round pick, I'm not saying he will but that's around what his value is. See Braydon Couburn and Andrej Sekera last year. Timonen ****ing got a 2nd last year ffs.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I stopped reading after the bolder part. Up until a couple weeks ago this was the Canucks offence in front of Markstrom.

Markstrom's last 10 starts #Canucks have scored 13 goals for the guy
1, 0, 0, 2, 2, 0, 1, 2, 3 & 2

13 goals in 10 games is a lot ?

Too bad on a few levels

- got a point when if they are going to miss the playoffs better to miss big time.

Good

Edler - had some good jump coming off the break. Team came out flat in the first and Edler really had to play well to keep them in it

Vey - getting Etem seems to have awaken his inner Gaudreau. Puck and passing were very good. Even moved the puck decently out his own zone. Think his linemates could have made better use of some of the service he was providing. Fighting for a spot and bringing it every game

Miller - playing well but the team needs to give Markstrom more work. Maybe better for tank if they play Miller b/c team seems to score more with Markstrom in

Others

lot of meh in Sutter's play. Can see where the Penguin fans were coming from. It's not that he's bad but he's kind of invisible and just not noticeable most of the time. Can suddenly show up at times because he has a good turn of speed but mostly perimeter guy. Does not appear to be good at moving the puck.

Thought McCann played well. However, maybe he doesn't have the confidence in his shot that he had at the beginning of the season. Too bad about the penalty

Hutton - Sbisa were generally pretty good. Sbisa had the one bone head play but overall they've been pretty good at recovering back on chances against and contributed some to the offense. Thought they were better than the Bart - Biega combo which is having trouble contributing much to the offense. Could see one of them coming out of the line up when Hamhuis comes back. Prefer Bart to get the PB.. Guess Weber gets waived or hopefully traded (maybe feeble hope here)

H. Sedin missed a ton of chances. Anything close to accurate and Canucks win. Old axiom that if the "Sedins don't score, the Canucks don't win" kind of proved out in this one.

Real miss when we drafted Jensen instead of Jenner. Looked to be at the time and sure is now

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Liked: Vey, Horvat, Baertschi and Hansen.

Didn't like: Sbisa

Miller made some good stops but overall not a very difficult night for him.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I stopped reading after the bolder part. Up until a couple weeks ago this was the Canucks offence in front of Markstrom.

Markstrom's last 10 starts #Canucks have scored 13 goals for the guy
1, 0, 0, 2, 2, 0, 1, 2, 3 & 2

13 goals in 10 games is a lot ?

Got a point.

Maybe the truth they score much in front of either of them.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Too bad on a few levels

Good

Others

Was at the game.

If that was a good effort.....??? They were playing the worst team in the NHL on home ice and are supposed to be in playoff spot mode.

It was impossible to watch that game and not be in tank mode.

Vrbata is non existent on the line with Bo and Bae and in general. Don't care what his trade value is, he is a non factor in the playoff race, inexcusable not to get to get something before he walks as a FA. The sooner the better before he has no value. No one can tell me he brings more energy and better results right now than Virtanen.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
- Tanev is a hero, that top pairing was solid.

- Sedins had a lot of o-zone time and created a ton but couldn't finish.

- Same as above goes for the Vey ES line (to a slightly lesser extent).

- Vrbata falling well below 0.5 PPG. His value has already gone down from a 1st round pick to a 2nd and is pretty close to being a 3rd now.

- I don't remember disliking a player as much as I dislike Bartkowski. Maybe Glass or Rome several years back. He is completely awful and his arrogant stick tapping makes me want to smack him through the TV.

Usually I agree with most of what you say but gotta disagree here.

Sutter is a meh player overall but he was involved in at least 5 scoring chances for tonight and I thought McCann was kind of awful other than that one rush where he was set up by Dorsett.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
- Vrbata falling well below 0.5 PPG. His value has already gone down from a 1st round pick to a 2nd and is pretty close to being a 3rd now.

I don't think GM's operate like that. Vrbata has a long track record as a good possession player with offensive production. A small stretch of games isn't going to tank the value that much. Teams know what they are getting. His most common centre all year has been a 20 year old, he's been in a more defensive role as well, and he has a lower end on-ice shooting percentage which hurts his counting stats. Teams that are interested in him will know all of that, so the ballpark should be a 2nd and a small plus no matter what happens this month.

I think the dream for a 1st is over at this point though.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Quoth a wise man: This team is not capable of making noise in the playoffs.

I disagree. Behold.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Not talking tank or anything like that. But that was yet another boring game in what has become a regular scene with this team. I really can't stand to watch them anymore.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I don't think GM's operate like that. Vrbata has a long track record as a good possession player with offensive production. A small stretch of games isn't going to tank the value that much. Teams know what they are getting. His most common centre all year has been a 20 year old, he's been in a more defensive role as well, and he has a lower end on-ice shooting percentage which hurts his counting stats. Teams that are interested in him will know all of that, so the ballpark should be a 2nd and a small plus no matter what happens this month.

I think the dream for a 1st is over at this point though.

You could be right but it's not the smallest of sample sizes as he might end up with ~25 points in 60 games by the deadline, which doesn't exactly scream offensive help to contenders who seek it.

It's hard to say if GMs will look at his history, as early as last year, and think of him as a 50-60 point guy instead of the 35~ point guy he's on pace for being this year. He is playing with a 20 year-old center that struggled for the first half of the season but those 2 kids on his line are on fire right now but Vrbata can't seem to match their increased production.

Also doesn't help that he's not exactly a guy that stands out unless he's on the scoresheet so if other teams have scouts watching him, they likely aren't going to walk away impressed.

IMO he's closer to a 3rd than a 2nd right now, but I am a pessimist. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad