Pre-Game Talk: Canuck @ Penguins Dec 4th @ 4pm. SNET 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
Miller has terrible career numbers against the Wings and he likely knows this (Goaltenders know who they play well against and who they haven't). If there was some conspiracy going on then Miller would have been dodging that game as well.

Except he's a Michigan kid and his family came to see him play against his brother on his new team? Can't see miller missing that game no matter how bad his numbers are. Can't see any goalie turning down a start in any circumstance. It's up to the coach to slot the goalies in taking those facts into consideration

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
What is Lack supposed to do in that situation? It's clearly Miller dictating when he starts.

As a starting goaltender should be able to. WD has the ultimate trump card, but in this case, I am fine with how things worked out. I dont think Lack and Miller are going to rift over this.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Why after Christmas, is it cheaper? This is the first year in about 6 that I didn't get it. I miss it, but feel I would be wasting money if I didn't get it at the start of the season. IE $200 for 82 games vs $200 for 60 games.

Yea, it comes down after Christmas, I think I saw $129 quoted somewhere on the NHL.com website for post Jan 1st.

In previous years I've also noticed the price goes down as there are fewer games left in the regular season, but who knows what will happen now that Rogers has ownership over that property.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Sucks that didn't happen wish him success in Pitts just not today lol.

Hopefully this puts to rest the kiddie-call to arms about the Nucks not trying to re-acquire Ehrhoff. I guess he felt the best place to win a Cup was in Buffalo...or is that Pittsburgh now? 'Error' indeed, but not on the Nucks' part. Good riddance and I hope to never see him in a Nucks uni again.

To be fair, Lack has gotten the tougher start on back-to-backs on many occasions. Pittsburgh is a top team, Washington is out of a playoff spot...and this is Lack's first game in two weeks.

Lack is also the backup and ought to be ready for any game. PIT is a top team, but they're also depleted a bit right now, and won't have Fleury in net either. Does that mean they're protecting him from the Nucks...who are also a 'top team'? No, it's just a coaching decision....but certainly not one that ought to deserve some conspiracy theory of 'protection' from the tin-foil fan brigade.

Coach D thought Lack was due in WAS. Miller thought otherwise.

Right...and Miller strong-armed WD into letting him start, instead of Lack, AND/OR WD plotted against Lack like some cartoon villain to make him think he was going to get the start, but then pulled the rug from under him and gave it to Miller all the while rubbing his palms together and laughing an evil laugh.

It's not really nonsense, just look at the quality of starts he's got in comparison to Lack.

If Lack wants to be a starter in this league, then he ought to be ready for any kind of competition handed to him as a backup. It's not a conspiracy, and there's no collusion between Miller and WD, and yes, it is nonsense.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Looks like for the Pens:

Spaling - Crosby - Hornqvist
Megna - Malkin - Comeau
Ebbett - Sutter - Downie
Sill - Goc - Adams

Obviously strong down the middle. Bo will need to have a big game. Nice to see BC boy Andrew Ebbett getting an NHL paycheck again.

Dumoulin - Ehrhoff
Martin - Maatta
Despres - Scuderi

Better than it looks. Be keeping an eye on Ehrhoff and Maatta tonight.

Greiss

First home start this year, will face Eddie Lack in the battle of the back-ups. Will need a strong performance from Lack.

An interesting note is that Pens' coach Mike Johnston was the best man at Willie Desjardins' wedding...

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Looks like for the Pens:

Spaling - Crosby - Hornqvist
Megna - Malkin - Comeau
Ebbett - Sutter - Downie
Sill - Goc - Adams

Obviously strong down the middle. Bo will need to have a big game. Nice to see BC boy Andrew Ebbett getting an NHL paycheck again.

Dumoulin - Ehrhoff
Martin - Maatta
Despres - Scuderi

Better than it looks. Be keeping an eye on Ehrhoff and Maatta tonight.

Greiss

First home start this year, will face Eddie Lack in the battle of the back-ups. Will need a strong performance from Lack.

An interesting note is that Pens' coach Mike Johnston was the best man at Willie Desjardins' wedding...

Out: Kunitz, Letang, Dupuis, Bennett, Bortuzzo.

It's a bit of a depleted lineup for the Pens, particularly in their top 6, and on defence.

Should be a very good chance to come away with 2 points.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I didn't realize you think Lack can't handle good teams.

He rarely gets to play, and when he does it's against top teams. Meanwhile, Mr. $6,000,000 gets to play often and against easier matchups. Makes sense...

If Lack is playing top teams then he needs to be playing more often to get into a groove. He's had a rough start and these long breaks do nothing to help him.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
That hit still pisses me off to this day. I'm glad Mitchell went on to success though.

That hit basically tanked our season when it was looking like we might actually have a chance to go deep. We had a ton of scoring depth and a pretty solid back end with a group of Mitchell-Bieksa/Edler-Salo/O'Brien-Ehrhoff but had to go out and get Alberts who was generally poor for us in the playoffs.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
In the manner in which the starts have been meted out, no, I don't think he can.

One still cannot logically suggest that there's some conspiracy to protect Miller, because of the way Lack's games have been meted out, particularly when there's been no report that such is that case.

He rarely gets to play, and when he does it's against top teams. Meanwhile, Mr. $6,000,000 gets to play often and against easier matchups. Makes sense...

He gets to play often because he's that starter. That's how it works. He gets division starts, which happen to be easier because those team suck, and because those are 4 point games which are important to win, and give the team the best chance to win, and make the playoffs, with the starter starting them. Again, it may be tactical to start Miller, but it's not conspiratorial against Lack. That's the nonsensical bit.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
https://twitter.com/sportsnetmurph/status/540546964585455616

Oh, has Miller told Willie that he's going to be a backup this game? :sarcasm:

And can we please send down Corrado if we're not going to play him? We might as well have called up one of the worse AHL d-men if we were just going to sit them every game.

"And can we please send down Corrado if we're not going to play him? We might as well have called up one of the worse AHL d-men if we were just going to sit them every game."

Is this bait? Am I supposed to be the hungry fish who takes it and gets hooked? OKAY.
Tonight makes 49 games between the two franchises and Frank still has 11 GP.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Agreed on Corrado. Seriously, acquire a depth defenseman to come and skate with the team if they're never going to play; I'm sure Corrado appreciates the paycheque, but this can't be what's best for his development.

Do I hear a faint echo? Sorry for that, but Thank-you! Youmust know this has been my stand for weeks and it's finally registering with the masses or at least a few of them.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011

If Lack is playing top teams then he needs to be playing more often to get into a groove. He's had a rough start and these long breaks do nothing to help him.

From my vantage point, IF, and I mean if in a hypothetical way, it seems that Miller is getting the 'easier' starts then that decision is falling into the 'greater good' territory. As in, it's the greater good to start Miller in games where points can be racked up, in order to help assure that the team is best positioned to make the playoffs, than simply to do what's best for the development of the backup goaltender. WD's objective as a first year NHL coach seems to be to me to make the playoffs, and position the team to do so. It may also be management's overriding desire as well. If it's achieved at the expense of Lack not getting easy starts, then boo-hoo for Lack. He's going to have to be a trooper, as all backups are required to be, and be ready for when he's tapped. This is the only 'conspiracy' I could lend myself to accepting. 'Protecting' Miller as a conspiracy theory, is a bridge too far for me. YMMV.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
One still cannot logically suggest that there's some conspiracy to protect Miller, because of the way Lack's games have been meted out, particularly when there's been no report that such is that case.

I said nothing about a conspiracy. My comment is about Lack's ability to perform in his circumstance.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Lack has 5 starts this year (7 appearances)

Oct 18 - Tampa. Yes a good team. Also the second game of a back to back which is the traditional spot for a back up to play.

Oct 24 - Colorado. Not a good team. But he got destroyed for 7 goals.

Nov 2 - Nashville. Good team. But hey look the second game of a back to back again!

Nov 9 - Anaheim. Good team. But there seems to be a trend here...the second game of a back to back!

Nov 20 - Anaheim. Does the trend hold? Why yes, yes it does. Second game of a back to back.

Maybe people should take a look at the schedule and realize that perhaps the obvious reason is the real reason. Desjardins is pretty darn typical and old school in this...back up gets second night of back to backs especially early in the season.

There is no picking and choosing. Canucks don't have back to backs until mid January (where they have two in the span of 5 days), so you have to find some playing time for Lack.

On this road trip they are playing 7 teams - 5 of them are in a playoff position today. The other 2 are no more than 2 points back from a playoff position. Every team on this road trip are "good teams".

Some people need to stop trying to find conspiracy where there is none to be found when things are looked at objectively.

And I don't even like Miller....so keep that in mind.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
I said nothing about a conspiracy. My comment is about Lack's ability to perform in his circumstance.

Of course not. You only suggested that WD and Miller conspired together to pull Lack from the WAS game in order for Miller to get the start...which goes to speak to when I said it was nonsense that WD was 'protecting' Miller, to which you said

Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
Coach D thought Lack was due in WAS. Miller thought otherwise.

And I followed up with...

Right...and Miller strong-armed WD into letting him start, instead of Lack, AND/OR WD plotted against Lack like some cartoon villain to make him think he was going to get the start, but then pulled the rug from under him and gave it to Miller all the while rubbing his palms together and laughing an evil laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad