GDT: Canes vs Pens - back to the well once again

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Dont laugh at cbj. That's exactly the kind of team we lose to. I have tix to the tbl game so that's an autoloss.

Maybe, but CBJ's defense left the greatest goalscorer the game has ever known all alone in the offensive zone, so...

Like, it's impressive how open OV was.

Reactions: cptjeff and Tryamw

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Pleasantly surprised that he reacted and made a switch so swiftly after the early snafu. Condolences to Pesce and Skjei for having their bond and vibe disrupted for babysitting shifts.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Honestly you can't let skjei go at this point. In the off-season you may have to eject orlov and pay skjei that money.
Orlov isn’t getting traded.

Skjei is going to get orlov money until he is 37-38. That isn’t a smart move. A team will get 3 good years out of him but then he will start a quick slide as his skating declines.

Meanwhile we’ll be paying Nikishin good money for 8 years of prime play. Just to further the stir the pot, orlov may have messed himself up by taking a 2 year deal as he’ll be 33 when this deal is up. We might pay Orlov another high AAV to stay 3 more years. Orlov at best gets a 6 year deal in FA but it will be low.

Last edited:

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Wow. You’re 100% right.

View attachment 770336

Bit of a rough and ready screenshot from the NHL app goal replay, but 58 has not tagged up yet in this screenshot and you can see the puck is WAY over.

Assuming I’m not going crazy either, bit of a shocking miss from Huffine and co. Not knowing the way the game ended up shaking out, that was a potentially massive, momentum swinging goal.

EDIT: the only thing this doesn’t show is Karlsson actually touching the puck - when watching the fast motion replay he does kind of push it ahead of himself which maybe gives 58 the time to tag up. Without a better highlight watching tool though I’m at a loss lol.
I have a screenshot where Karlsson is in, and Letang has *just* touched white. If you extrapolate … there’s no way Letang got there in time.

Attachments

• 6E01959F-5B29-4E0A-8458-2952041E415A.jpeg
    6E01959F-5B29-4E0A-8458-2952041E415A.jpeg
    378.7 KB · Views: 3

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
If you recall, there was time after that goal that RBA and the coaches were reviewing the play by the bench and decided against challenging it.

I believe Letang did tag up before Karlsson touched the puck, but even if he didn't, getting a wrong challenge there and possibly having them score on the ensuing PP? That would have been killer.
I think they were also looking at if Crosby high sticked the puck during that shift. Can’t be easy to try to get perfect angles of both in enough time and I think you have to pick one thing to challenge.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I dislike all the breaks between these games this week. We are going to be shoving 10 pounds into a 5 pound bag in march but randomly in November we have 4 games over a 14 day span.

To be fair, it’s happening to most teams. For whatever reason, this international trip to Sweden that only a few teams participated in made it so many other teams had long breaks between games.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
That was a good game. Really close but the Canes had an edge.

As all have said, it's mandatory that Brindy breaks up TDA/Orlov. Orlov had some mistakes, but IMO DeAngelo looks lost in the D zone virtually every shift. We get a high danger chance against with every 7/77 shift. I just don't see the upside to having DeAngelo take a spot in the lineup. He hurts us way more than he helps. Why not use Burns and Skjei on the pp units and keep rotating Orlov in if things get stale.

Both goalies were excellent.

I thought Skjei and Slavin were our best players. Jarvis amazingly had a 3 point game while also botching several plays in the offensive zone. Also I still love the third line. Damn they play a fun brand of hockey to watch. Those guys are old but honestly they still have wheels. The only guy on our team who seems slow is Burns and that's why I think Rod staples him to Slavin.

For the Pens, Crosby and Letang were monsters as usual. They both don't show signs of slowing down, but they both probably will in April after carrying the team on their back for 6 months.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Good game by Jarvis. He's been in my dog house.

I wonder aloud if part of the issues are the team getting older playing Rods system. His style of play seems better suited to young bucks than old men who've lost a step or two.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
That was a good game. Really close but the Canes had an edge.

As all have said, it's mandatory that Brindy breaks up TDA/Orlov. Orlov had some mistakes, but IMO DeAngelo looks lost in the D zone virtually every shift. We get a high danger chance against with every 7/77 shift. I just don't see the upside to having DeAngelo take a spot in the lineup. He hurts us way more than he helps. Why not use Burns and Skjei on the pp units and keep rotating Orlov in if things get stale.

Both goalies were excellent.

I thought Skjei and Slavin were our best players. Jarvis amazingly had a 3 point game while also botching several plays in the offensive zone. Also I still love the third line. Damn they play a fun brand of hockey to watch. Those guys are old but honestly they still have wheels. The only guy on our team who seems slow is Burns and that's why I think Rod staples him to Slavin.

For the Pens, Crosby and Letang were monsters as usual. They both don't show signs of slowing down, but they both probably will in April after carrying the team on their back for 6 months.
"As all have said, it's mandatory that Brindy breaks up TDA/Orlov"

23 seconds left and the pair again find themselves out of position & it took a quality Raanta save to keep in 4-2. That experiment HAS to end.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I love how they had a two on one together and Drury kept it and shot himself. Over passing to Svech. That took some stones. They’re both pretty desperate.

Yeah, that was unbelievable. I'm not sure I fault him, even though Svech definitely had a better chance, but the odds of not successfully completing the pass and therefore getting no chance was too high.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Would have liked to see him shoot for the rebound in that scenario instead of trying to pick the corner.
He may have been, his shot got blocked by the defender if I’m remembering the right play. Truly impressive offensive instincts to have your shot blocked on a 2 on 1 while not finding a passing lane to Svech either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad