Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
QohbOUs.png
CXvLMe2.png

Canes

VS

Islanders

islanders_fisherman.jpg

After picking up 5 out of the previous 6 points, the Canes need to have a strong game to keep the momentum going.

jordan-staal-eric-staal.jpg

"You hear that, Staal?"
"I sure did, other Staal"

The two Staals and the Wee Baby Skinner need to continue their strong play of late. Semin needs to not hit the post, and the defense simply needs not to lose the game for us.

Players to Watch

bzk67BQ.jpg
t9SNA3R.png

fXlHsXg.png
rfWhMPa.png

Really the only player that matters on the Canes, since far too often, he's the only one keeping the team in the game. It'd be nice to have a game where the defense does their job, the offense clicks, and Ward isn't required to stand on his head.

iiProQH.png
4h1DXv5.png

3hM3I1p.png
LoBI4JJ.png

That should sum it up. Seriously, someone call Kenny Loggins, because Tavares is dangerous. He's dangerous against every team, but against the Canes especially. He's got 15 points (9 goals, 3 game-winners) in the 12 games he's played against Carolina. When he first came into the league, there was some question about his ethnicity:

ip1nwl.jpg

Juan Tavarez
gtgb.jpg

Jon Tavarly
24oujie-1.jpg

Joonatin Tavarenen

So I'm sure just by employing him, the Islanders have some kind of diversity double-whammy going on.

Either way:

---

And for those who are completely confused by this topic:

1. Shame on you for not watching Archer. One of the funniest shows on TV at the moment.
2. I apologize. Was going to do something with The Walking Dead, but couldn't get the photoshop to work out correctly. Maybe next time.
3. Lineups maybe later. Also, completely irrelevant. If Tavares is on, Islanders win. If whatever goaltender Carolina puts out there is on, Canes win.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
I would like for Ellis to get the start. Playing Ward 3 out of 4 nights should not happen, and I'd rather he start the Devils game where he plays really well against them.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I would like for Ellis to get the start. Playing Ward 3 out of 4 nights should not happen, and I'd rather he start the Devils game where he plays really well against them.

Agreed. Hoping it's Ellis against the lesser opponent and then Ward against the better opponent (although I haven't seen enough of the Devils to tell if they're legit or not).

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Agreed. Hoping it's Ellis against the lesser opponent and then Ward against the better opponent (although I haven't seen enough of the Devils to tell if they're legit or not).

The Devils are legit. And when they face the Canes, the Islanders are too. Frankly, it's far too early to be writing off anyone as "lesser" opponents, especially when said opponents have a Cane-killer like Tavares on the team.

The Canes need as many points as possible, regardless of the opponent. We need at least 2 points out of the remaining two opponents on this road trip, so I'd say we attempt to get that out of the way early and get a win against the Islanders rather than worrying about trying to match up against the Devils.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
The Devils are legit. And when they face the Canes, the Islanders are too. Frankly, it's far too early to be writing off anyone as "lesser" opponents, especially when said opponents have a Cane-killer like Tavares on the team.

The Canes need as many points as possible, regardless of the opponent. We need at least 2 points out of the remaining two opponents on this road trip, so I'd say we attempt to get that out of the way early and get a win against the Islanders rather than worrying about trying to match up against the Devils.

Agreed, but Ward played just two days ago. And that was his 3rd consecutive game. Gotta rest him at some point and would rather have Ellis face the Islanders and have Ward against Brodeur(presumably). But will say it's too early to crown teams the "winners" and "losers" in the standings. Probably should have put quotes around "lesser" and "better".

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
With the schedule in terms of games played being light til the 21st after the upcoming back to back, you gotta get Ellis in there. Sooner the better.

I think Ward and Ellis are both in good form so I don't think starting either one tonight is a game changer.. but Ward needs the rest more since he's our guy.

Once the 21st passes, The Canes don't have two days off til the March 12 game.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I'd go Ellis tonight, and Cam tomorrow. Play Ellis when the team is better rested, hope Cam steals a point in New Jersey.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
2. I apologize. Was going to do something with The Walking Dead, but couldn't get the photoshop to work out correctly. Maybe next time.

You went with Archer over The Walking Dead and you're apologizing?

I want an apology for that apology.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Archer's on Netflix, right? It's been recommended by several people now, so I think I'll have to give it a go.

5-1 loss. Tavares with 4 goals, Nabby with the empty netter. Letowski scores for the Canes.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So who are we going for in the Toronto-Philly matchup tonight? Sports Club Stats isn't updating from last night, so I'm lost. From a mathematical standpoint I bet we're cheering for Philly, but from a hockey standpoint I think we're cheering for Toronto. Something tells me we'll have plenty of time to catch up to Toronto, but I think for now we've gotta hold off Philly for as long as we can.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
So who are we going for in the Toronto-Philly matchup tonight? Sports Club Stats isn't updating from last night, so I'm lost. From a mathematical standpoint I bet we're cheering for Philly, but from a hockey standpoint I think we're cheering for Toronto. Something tells me we'll have plenty of time to catch up to Toronto, but I think for now we've gotta hold off Philly for as long as we can.

Until the halfway point at the earliest, I'm just pulling for SE teams to lose and no OT games.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I won't be surprised to see Cam start tonight and tomorrow night, unless of course he gets burned badly tonight.

That's my line of thinking. Ward gives us the best chance to win against the Islanders. Ward gives us the best chance to win against the Devils.

I realize Ellis needs to start at some time, but frankly, this road trip is crucial. We need 2 points in the next two games, and I see starting Ellis against the Islanders/Ward against the Devils as a very high chance of a L-L. Start Ward against the Islanders, attempt to get the 2 points in the first game so we don't have to worry (as much) about getting the 2 points against Jersey.

I'm thinking Ward/Ward, then Ellis on Thursday against the Leafs. At least then, we'll get the benefit of home ice to help Ellis out.

Loving the Archer theme. :handclap:

So that would make Tavares a cyborg?

A cyborg made out of dwarven technology.

You went with Archer over The Walking Dead and you're apologizing?

I want an apology for that apology.

Both are good shows, but at least if I went with the Walking Dead, even those that don't watch the show will go "Oh, a zombie theme". A lot of the jokes made in the OP may go right over the head of someone who doesn't watch Archer.

And yeah, I had a lot of the Walking Dead stuff set up, but figured in the limited time, I'd throw this Archer one together and attempt to do the Walking Dead next time.

Thats the voice from Bob's Burgers.

Where can I find Archer? Looks good.

Jon Benjamin. Voices Archer, Bob from Bob's Burgers (Actually, this season of Archer started off with a Bob's Burgers reference. It was hilarious), and a variety of other shows.

New episodes of Archer come on FX at 10:00 PM EST on Thursdays. Previous 3 seasons are on NetFlix.

caniac315

Nov 21, 2011
Raleigh, NC
My optimism ran out some time ago, unfortunately. Might as well use Ellis tonight and let Cam rest. Regardless of who is in net, we always have a tough time with the Islanders. Plus in the bizarro Canes world, we will lose to them and pound the Devils anyway.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
We're getting DiPietro tonight... so you're telling me there's a chance. (Last start 1/25, stopped 23 of 27.)

Won't be watching much of this one or any of tomorrow's game. I'll be on the road to SC tonight to bury my mother's ashes tomorrow. Go Canes though!

My condolences to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad