GDT: Canes vs Hurricanes great Patrick Marleau.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Was it really that big of a deal? I honestly think the whole situation was overblown.

Thornton took a few extra pokes at Mrazek, a not uncommon play in the game. Mrazek took a swing at Thornton with his stick, a bit more uncommon, but not unheard of. They both yap at each other, Mrazek gets in his face and Thornton pops him. I don’t think Mrazek dove, since I doubt he was expecting the jab, but I do think he sold it a bit once he was down.

Nonetheless, both teams come to the aid of their respective players and the game gets a bit yappy from that point onward, but I don’t see why it’s getting news articles or such a large MB thread.

And I don’t see why the team needed to give more of a response than what they did, lest they be considered “soft.” Hell, considering the joking they did after the game and in practice, I think the fans have made much more out of this situation than the players did.

I guess it wasn't that big a deal to the team based on their post game interviews and the fact that they trolled Petr by spraypainting a body outline behind the goal the next morning.

But it seemed pretty bad from the stands and the crowd was really, really pissed. I mean I am glad I didn't take my kids to the game level pissed.

I 100% agree with the importance of "guys who are willing to put their bodies on the line". But that takes a lot of forms. Taking a hit to make a play, or going into the dirty areas to score, are way more important than fighting in any form.

I disagree with the premise that willingness to start a fight is in any way a necessary component of team toughness.

It's an emotional sport. For now, fights are a part of the sport. Sometimes guys fight. That's fine. But "skill at fighting" is just not a thing that matters anymore. If there's a list of skills you want, "willingness to stand up for teammates in some way" may be somewhere on that list, but "ability to knock a guy on his ass" is not. It just doesn't matter.
It makes the fans cheer, of course. But I would way rather have a talented team that wins, and that's exactly what we're building.

Who's the best tough guy in the league? Probably Tom Wilson. But he's not the best tough guy because he fights. He's the best tough guy because he plays a skilled, physical game. He fights only because other guys pick fights with him because of his playing style. Do those fights deter him from knocking someone on his ass? Brother, they abso****inglutely do not. The only thing that deters Tom Wilson, at this point, is the threat of suspension.

Name a tough guy in the league that helps his team win because he starts fights. Is there one?

The enforcer is finished in the NHL. That's just the reality.

So when we talk about stones, or grit, what are we talking about that we think this team doesn't have? We've got a lot of guys, across the lineup, that are willing and able to play a physical style. Svech, Ginner, Foegs can all play a very physical style. Eddy can go from time to time, as can Marty. When he's ready, Goat is an honest to God bodybuilder wrecking ball. Hell, even Dzingel can get a bee in his bonnet.

We've got a tight knit team that sticks up for one another when it really counts. What more do we want?

Sure, I'd love to have Tom Wilson, but if you go around pretending that Micheal Ferland is Tom Wilson, well then you're the Canucks.

Agree in principle with much of what you wrote, but Ferland fought 6 times last year- more fights than the Canes typically have in an entire year- and won each decisively.I think that helped the team, as I think that Wilson is a big part of the Caps continued success. Intimidation can be demoralizing to an opponent.

Reactions: Tryamw

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Someone mentioned the Boston series last year and said the Canes lost because the Bruins are monsters who have a ton of playoff experience, etc. And that i agree with, they were clearly the better team.

However, remember how Williams kinda lost it, multiple times, and took a bunch of stupid penalties? Boston did what they wanted to do versus the Hurricanes. They were faster, yes, but they were also more physical and in the end were basically laughing at the other team....because they knew no one was going to jump up and beat the snot out of them. And that’s part of what happened with Williams - he knew. He knew no one would or could step up and say “Marchand you piece of shit, one more time and you’re dead.”

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I guess it wasn't that big a deal to the team based on their post game interviews and the fact that they trolled Petr by spraypainting a body outline behind the goal the next morning.

"Yeah we let them have their way with you, and now we mock what's left of you."

Reactions: DaveG

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
"Yeah we let them have their way with you, and now we mock what's left of you."

Right? I really hope Petr threw the biggest dive in history, because if he really was flattened, and the team not only failed to stand up for him but then mocked him later...yikes.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
"I ain't going down no matter how many times you hit me!"

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad