GDT: CANES v MYTHOLOGICAL GIANT SEA ORGANISMS

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It's a monkey paw situation. We spent so much time the past few years worrying about offense, and the hockey gods smacked us with this start.

I take it back. Go back to whatever we were doing in the past. I don't mind 40 shots, 2 goals. Just stop giving up 3+

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Whats going on with Andersen?

Never heard of a goalie needing days off for being hit in the mask.
You have never heard of it? Goalies getting concussions from a puck to the head is a common occurrence. NHL being extra cautious with head injuries these days is also commonplace. Here’s an article on it from 4 years ago.

Notably: “Ten of the 15 concussions last season were the result of pucks striking goaltenders in the head”

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
It's a monkey paw situation. We spent so much time the past few years worrying about offense, and the hockey gods smacked us with this start.

I take it back. Go back to whatever we were doing in the past. I don't mind 40 shots, 2 goals. Just stop giving up 3+

Oh were still worried about offense...just not our own.

*flashes to hockey gods laughing maniacally*

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
I'm blaming the new guy because he's a minus 10.
That's harsh. He's only played 5 games with this team. Still getting used to the system.

Brent Burns got off to a slow start last year too coming over to a new system.

So, we're giving up 4 goals a game because of Orlov?

What about the other skaters on the ice? Should they not be blamed too?

Hockey is a team sport.

You're basically saying if we didn't have Orlov we wouldn't be given up 4 goals a game?

Think what you want but when our defensive struggles turn around, and knowing this team THEY WILL turn around and Orlov takes off like Burns did last year it's going to be something to watch.

I also don't think it's fair to jump on someone after 5 games. The only way for Orlov to get out of his funk is to keep playing.

Unlike some fans I'm willing to be patient. Yes, I hate they lost last night and I don't like the start they're off too defensively but just like the prior 4 games the entire team looked bad.

Also, Orlov is coming around offensively; no goals yet but getting more chances. His defensive struggles are magnified because the TEAM defense is horrible right now...or from reading the article...it's not really bad, but running through a string of shooting luck from the opposing teams and the law of avgs says that will not continue for long. It will get better, the question is when. I hope it starts tomorrow. Colorado is playing great. Maybe they'll be the team that turns our bad luck around defensively.

It would be much easier to place the blame on him if our defense was great these 5 games and he was a -10.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
You’re blaming the new guy because he’s paired with TDA you can’t come to grips with the reality that TDA isn’t a great player. A ton of blame to go around here. I’m not concerned whatsoever
Actually he is if you use him right. I mean he had 50 points with slavin and was a plus what now?

Again. Put him with Slavin. Burns goes with tda. Hell at this point tda Chatfield would be better.

You may even want to put skjei with tda and pesce with burns until everyone's heads come out of their asses.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
For reference:

5v5 GA/60 leaders on the Canes right now (excludes special teams and Empty Net):

WORST (4 or above)
TDA: 6.89
Necas: 6.63
TT: 5.95
KK: 4.87
Orlov: 4.52

BEST (2 or less)
Chatfield: 0 (smaller sample size)
Fast: 0.99
Skjei: 1.52
Aho: 1.66 (smaller sample size)
Martinook: 1.9
Bunting: 1.91
Jarvis: 1.92

Orlov also has 3 GA that are Empty Net that contribute to his +/- as well as 2 SHG against (which are a -, but I think was directly responsible for both) and 2 PPG for (which don't count for anything).

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
We've at least upgraded to the latest version of Jarvis.

Jarvis 2.0 ....comes complete with a fully upgraded mullet.

If his mullet can keep this up I might have to grow one and get a Dodge Charga and see what it does for my prospects.

HEY JARVIS IF THIS MAKES IT WAY TO YOU.....YOU NEED TO DRIVE SOME MOPAR MO POWER WITH THAT DAMN MULLET YOU GOT AND MAKE YOUR WAY OUT TO JOCO BROTHER!!! GET MAH BOI TRIPPER TO DO A LITTLE PREGAME OF YOU AT THE DRAG STRIP /W YOUR NEW FOUND MUSCLE CAR TO GO WITH YOUR OFFSEASON MUSCLE....YOU WILL BE THE HERO OF THE BLUE COLLAR CANES FAN!!

Can I get some AI artist love and get a picture of Jarvis full blown mullet driving a Challenger Hellcat (red/w black hood, duh) and Joe Dirt in the passenger seat?

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Most people seems to have the memory of ants.

Across the league, October is a cluster f*** for almost every team. The first 10 games may as well be a continuation of the preseason, because most of the games are played by prospects or a game of shinny by vets. Scoring is always up, and records are usually not a great predictor for season success.

I have outmost confidence that the defense will tighten up and we’ll finish close to the top of the league in team defense, while we’ll be losing games 2-0 (with empty net) in mid January to bottom dwellers playing their AHL goalie.

Remember how bad our PK was at the start last year? I remember Rod said they were trying “new things” and they eventually figured it out and went on some crazy run without allowing a single PP goal.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Across the league, October is a cluster f*** for almost every team. The first 10 games may as well be a continuation of the preseason, because most of the games are played by prospects or a game of shinny by vets. Scoring is always up, and records are usually not a great predictor for season success.

I have outmost confidence that the defense will tighten up and we’ll finish close to the top of the league in team defense, while we’ll be losing games 2-0 (with empty net) in mid January to bottom dwellers playing their AHL goalie.

Remember how bad our PK was at the start last year? I remember Rod said they were trying “new things” and they eventually figured it out and went on some crazy run without allowing a single PP goal.
Yep. Just go back and read the GDT after we lost to AZ last year in mid-late Nov. Also, our PK back then was just under 80% and something like 15th or 17th in the league. From that point on, it was 1st in the league.

They'll figure it out.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

I wouldn't say most.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Actually he is if you use him right. I mean he had 50 points with slavin and was a plus what now?

Again. Put him with Slavin. Burns goes with tda. Hell at this point tda Chatfield would be better.

You may even want to put skjei with tda and pesce with burns until everyone's heads come out of their asses.
No he's really not very good, he has a few positive areas to his game but a bunch of negatives too. Even with Slavin, TDA was god awful in the playoffs for us. Don't get me wrong I do like TDA, he's worth having on the roster at this low cap hit, but he has not been playing remotely well and to act like Orlov is dragging him down is absurd. Everyone here knows you man, this is more than just on the ice with TDA, always has been with you. Am I happy with Orlov's play so far? No absolutely not. But we've seen every D man we've brought in struggle at first in our system before it finally clicks for them. Skjei looked significantly worse when he first got here than Orlov has and he's become one of the top LD in the entire league once he got settled in.

Absolutely silly to panic and make drastic changes to the lineup based on some of the early struggles. Especially considering we're still 3-2 missing Svech and Aho and our goalies have played like crap while having an early west coast road trip, not to mention the reality at this point that this group knows that the only thing that matters is the playoffs. Rod's actions in preseason and camp supports that. These games right now just do not matter at all for this team. It's like the Bolts in '20-'21 who clearly sleepwalked through the regular season just to roll in the playoffs. We're still a top team just like the Bolts were that year, but don't be surprised if we're closer to 10th in the regular season standings than 1st, just like the Bolts that year.

BabchukCanon

Jan 18, 2011
Apex, NC
I really want to try for three games. Go back to 12/6 and let Pyotr start.
Slavin-Orlov
Pesce-Skjei
Chatfield-Burns

I know the small sample of Burns and Chatfield was small, but I enjoyed it last December. I think that Slavin helps the defenders learn the system quicker and it provides incredible balance across all three. I understand TDA has more offense than Chatfield, but there's a weird element of hesitation to Orlov with him and I think if he can go back to wheeling and dealing we will be better off.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I really want to try for three games. Go back to 12/6 and let Pyotr start.
Slavin-Orlov
Pesce-Skjei
Chatfield-Burns

I know the small sample of Burns and Chatfield was small, but I enjoyed it last December. I think that Slavin helps the defenders learn the system quicker and it provides incredible balance across all three. I understand TDA has more offense than Chatfield, but there's a weird element of hesitation to Orlov with him and I think if he can go back to wheeling and dealing we will be better off.
Why are we playing 3 dmen on their off-side?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
You have never heard of it? Goalies getting concussions from a puck to the head is a common occurrence. NHL being extra cautious with head injuries these days is also commonplace. Here’s an article on it from 4 years ago.

Notably: “Ten of the 15 concussions last season were the result of pucks striking goaltenders in the head”
Yea I dated a girl for a bit that was a lacrosse goalie and she took a rebound shot (off the ground) to the mask...next day she started smelling bacon and vomited...turns out she had a nasty concussion. Freddie took an absolute dinger that went square into the helmet, I honestly would have been shocked if he DIDN'T get a concussion from that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad