GDT: CANES v MYTHOLOGICAL GIANT SEA ORGANISMS

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Few, if any, here give a damn about DeAngelo’s politics at this point. The fanboy-ism in 2023 doesn’t make sense.

Offensive defenseman are just polarizing. Faulk was a whipping boy. Hamilton would have been more controversial, if not for the natural urge to want the team to win the trade. Any slippage defensively from DeAngelo puts him in the crosshairs.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Few, if any, here give a damn about DeAngelo’s politics at this point. The fanboy-ism in 2023 doesn’t make sense.

Offensive defenseman are just polarizing. Faulk was a whipping boy. Hamilton would have been more controversial, if not for the natural urge to want the team to win the trade. Any slippage defensively from DeAngelo puts him in the crosshairs.

I mean, I think it's more that he's looking like the odd-man out, so to speak. Neither he nor Orlov look passable when paired with each other, but Orlov has looked good when paired with Chatfield.

Add in the fact that we've got Orlov for another year and his much higher price tag, and there's more incentive to try and find success with the Orlov/Chatfield pairing than any other.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Why are we playing 3 dmen on their off-side?
I think it's really only 2 and Skjei-Pesce was just listed opposite by accident.

Honestly not super against those pairs but I don't see any real reason to break up Slavin-Burns and Skjei-Pesce. We know both those pairs are absolutely great together from much larger sample sizes than the last few games. But if we did make a change, Chat and Burns played well together last year and Orlov has experience playing his off hand I believe and would be a good fit with Slavin

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
The title of the thread says "organisms" not origami.
1697819145427.png

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
xGA through 5

Last year: 13.94
This year: 15.1

Subtract our 3 ENGs against and we are looking at an actual difference of 9. 12 against in 22 and 21 against so far.

Thats some crazy stuff right there.
Orlov-TDA are a factor
We aren’t healthy
We are playing better teams that capitalize on chances
Some poor luck

We have seen this level of tomfoolery with this team and it is likely to carry until we late October, as it did last season.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
xGA through 5

Subtract our 3 ENGs against and we are looking at an actual difference of 9. 12 against in 22 and 21 against so far.

Orlov-TDA are a factor
We aren’t healthy
Some poor luck

We have seen this level of tomfoolery with this team and it is likely to carry until we late October, as it did last season.
Only nitpick here...are we playing better teams? SJS 0-3-1 expected to be a bottom feeder, ANA 1-2-0 expected to be a bottom feeder, LAK 2-1-1 meh ok, OTT 3-1-0 bottom feeder last year on the upswing, SEA 1-3-1 despite the slow start probably expected to be pretty decent at least.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Only nitpick here...are we playing better teams? SJS 0-3-1 expected to be a bottom feeder, ANA 1-2-0 expected to be a bottom feeder, LAK 2-1-1 meh ok, OTT 3-1-0 bottom feeder last year on the upswing, SEA 1-3-1 despite the slow start probably expected to be pretty decent at least.
Yes. Edmonton was the only team of quality in our first 5 last year.

I would definitely say a group of this year’s Seattle team, LA, Ottawa, Anaheim, and SJ is better than Columbus, SJ, Seattle, Vancouver, Edmonton

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Yes. Edmonton was the only team of quality in our first 5 last year.

I would definitely say a group of this year’s Seattle team, LA, Ottawa, Anaheim, and SJ is better than Columbus, SJ, Seattle, Vancouver, Edmonton
Oh I misunderstood...I just thought you meant amongst the "better" teams in general this year (hence more scoring against us), not compared to who we played last year.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You hear it year after year, so and so put on 30 lbs of muscle while burning 50 pounds of fat in the offseason! And you learn to write it off as org spin to pump fans up for the new season.

Yeah, I heard Tripp and Mike say it about Jarvis 3-4 times and assumed there is some spin there. 9 pounds lighter than he came to camp last year, but he added 8 pounds of muscle. I guess they could just take body fat measurements last year and this year and determine how accurate that truly is (maybe they do).

All that said, Jarvis "looks" stronger this year based on the first few games I've watched. I'm sure Billy B. can also tell in their testing and workouts.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
xGA through 5

Orlov-TDA are a factor
We aren’t healthy
Some poor luck

That is crazy. Basically shows you that we're playing the same now than we were this time last year except against better teams.

We didn't off to a good start last year either. Actually it was rather avg. 10-5-6 and we were riding Raanta and Kolchetcov because Andersen was injured. We took off and played better once we had that 11 game winning streak. Don't know when that started, (but it was at a time when Aho was injured because we went 7-0 without him) but that was fun to watch and our record since was 42-16-3 in the remaining 71 games.

Not too shabby. We had to play well because NJ got hot then too and chased our tails and the division went down to the final game of the season.

And with this team being better than last years on paper we know they're going to turn it around. Looking forward to when that happens because it will be fun to watch.

Realistically, this scoring is not going to continue. Teams are not going to continue potting 4 goals a game vs us and we aren't going to score 4 goals a game throughout the season. That's like impossible now a days.

I don't even know the last time it happened in a season, if it ever has? A team scoring avging 4 goals a game by seasons end. I would think it would be during the time of the Oilers Islanders dynasty days. Those teams won all those cups back then; Isles won 4 straight.

These games are video game scores. The hockey gods need to stop playing. Will the real Carolina Hurricanes please return.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Also, I know it's a feel good story and all that, but that MakeAWish kid may have some negative mojo for the team

Last year, the game against Minnesota (I believe) was a win, but it was the game MaxPac reinjured himself. And last night was just ugly.

Though it was funny to watch Mike and Tripp try and do the intermission interview with a kid that's only response to anything is "Yeah."

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Also, I know it's a feel good story and all that, but that MakeAWish kid may have some negative mojo for the team

Last year, the game against Minnesota (I believe) was a win, but it was the game MaxPac reinjured himself. And last night was just ugly.

Though it was funny to watch Mike and Tripp try and do the intermission interview with a kid that's only response to anything is "Yeah."

I liked when Tripp kneeled down to talk to him and Mike was smiling behind the pain as he followed suit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anton Dubinchuk

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
That is crazy. Basically shows you that we're playing the same now than we were this time last year except against better teams.

We didn't off to a good start last year either. Actually it was rather avg. 10-5-6 and we were riding Raanta and Kolchetcov because Andersen was injured. We took off and played better once we had that 11 game winning streak. Don't know when that started, (but it was at a time when Aho was injured because we went 7-0 without him) but that was fun to watch and our record since was 42-16-3 in the remaining 71 games.

Not too shabby. We had to play well because NJ got hot then too and chased our tails and the division went down to the final game of the season.

And with this team being better than last years on paper we know they're going to turn it around. Looking forward to when that happens because it will be fun to watch.

Realistically, this scoring is not going to continue. Teams are not going to continue potting 4 goals a game vs us and we aren't going to score 4 goals a game throughout the season. That's like impossible now a days.

I don't even know the last time it happened in a season, if it ever has? A team scoring avging 4 goals a game by seasons end. I would think it would be during the time of the Oilers Islanders dynasty days. Those teams won all those cups back then; Isles won 4 straight.

These games are video game scores. The hockey gods need to stop playing. Will the real Carolina Hurricanes please return.
It's also worth mentioning that the team sans-Svechnikov played at ~0.500 hockey down the stretch in the regular season. He's probably just as impactful a forward as Aho is.

But that does nothing to fix our putrid D and goaltending, however...

Reactions: cptjeff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad