Confirmed with Link: Canes sign Lee Stempniak - 2 years, 2.5 per

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yeah I would NOT want him on the Staal line, that line generated its effectiveness by possession and just being otherwise impossible to knock off the puck when they got it. I think I'd rather have Stalberg there then Stempniak.

Stempniak as the 3rd wheel for Skinner-Rask or as the veteran presence for Aho-Lindholm makes a lot more sense to me.

However he's got about a 44 point per season average across his career. I think this is right in the wheelhouse of what we should have expected from Ronnie.

We do, however, now have 13 NHL forwards: Nestrasil, Staal, Nordstrom, Skinner, Rask, Stempniak, Aho, Teravainen, Lindholm, Di Giuseppe, Bickell, McClement, Stalberg.

Somebody's feelings are going to get hurt.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
However he's got about a 44 point per season average across his career. I think this is right in the wheelhouse of what we should have expected from Ronnie.

We do, however, now have 13 NHL forwards: Nestrasil, Staal, Nordstrom, Skinner, Rask, Stempniak, Aho, Teravainen, Lindholm, Di Giuseppe, Bickell, McClement, Stalberg.

Murphy

Slot one of the forwards on the blueline:sarcasm:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

I would guess Di Giuseppe starts the year in Charlotte. McClement isn't a priority to get in your lineup. He was a further minus than how many points he produced last season. Bickell was thrown away. Nestrasil is probably going to take some time to get back up to speed. I wouldn't worry too much about offending guys we took off waivers, either. If I had to guess though, I would say McClement is the one in danger here. We've got a lot of guys that can slide to center in a pinch.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I would guess Di Giuseppe starts the year in Charlotte. McClement isn't a priority to get in your lineup. He was a further minus than how many points he produced last season. Bickell was thrown away. Nestrasil is probably going to take some time to get back up to speed. I wouldn't worry too much about offending guys we took off waivers, either. If I had to guess though, I would say McClement is the one in danger here. We've got a lot of guys that can slide to center in a pinch.

I hope McClement is the odd man out too. I think that both Bickell and Stalberg could contribute fairly nicely. And I worry that PDG was one of those glue guys that when he went down the team performed worse. I could easily see him slotting in on an Aho/Lindholm line maybe...I don't know how this is going to shake out.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm fine with this signing. He may or may not be a good player for us but he can still produce and should bring veteran experience and leadership with him to this mostly young bunch.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He was pretty solid for the Bruins down the stretch, I think you guys got great value at 2 and 2.5

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
pretty much what I was expecting today. sadly, come 2 pm I was hoping for him. I am currently going to check out the RFA offer sheet compensations are (Tampa related).

I do like what I read somewhere....Bishop/Killorn package, but I am sure that would cost a fortune and if I am tampa I am not looking to do that until next June.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

Somebody's going to get traded.

There are at least three major trades still coming, although I can't promise them all this offseason. We need our top-liner, we need our goalie, and we need a d-man to expose.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Somebody's going to get traded.

There are at least three major trades still coming, although I can't promise them all this offseason. We need our top-liner, we need our goalie, and we need a d-man to expose.

I think the dman will be pretty easy to get, even if it's as simple as signing Luke Schenn or someone else that rather sucks to be our #7 to a two-year deal for under a mil per.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
also hi someone explain this rule

All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

will that include hanifin and gang at the end of next year? will they be at the "end of their second year" or at the "beginning of their third?"

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The expansion draft is slated to happen in June, before the entry draft, and all contracts run through July 1st. There would be no need to protect Hanifin, Pesce, or Slavin for us.

Or in other words

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
ok so forwards-wise

staal
skinner
lindholm
tt
rask

then two of:
di giuseppe
nestrasil
mcginn
nordstrom

im guessing nordstrom will end up getting taken from us

goalie-wise, maybe we just protect altshuller and let them have their pick of ward/lack? i guess it depends on how they play this season...

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
ok so forwards-wise

staal
skinner
lindholm
tt
rask

then two of:
di giuseppe
nestrasil
mcginn
nordstrom

im guessing nordstrom will end up getting taken from us

goalie-wise, maybe we just protect altshuller and let them have their pick of ward/lack? i guess it depends on how they play this season...

No, my guess is that it will be Stempniak.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
I get that they have to choose one player from every team, but do they keep the rights to every player even if they don't fit into the roster?

They aren't going to keep a 31 man roster, I'd think they would try to grab a few AHL players and prospects, and honestly I think that might be more realistic for us.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I get that they have to choose one player from every team, but do they keep the rights to every player even if they don't fit into the roster?

They aren't going to keep a 31 man roster, I'd think they would try to grab a few AHL players and prospects, and honestly I think that might be more realistic for us.

I thought that they have the option to take one player from every team, as opposed to being compelled.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011

Of Course. I'm assuming LV will have a plan, of which part of that plan will be building an AHL team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad