Confirmed with Link: Canes sign Lee Stempniak - 2 years, 2.5 per

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Might be hard to quite match his production from last year, but he's been fairly productive for quite a while now. And he's a right shot. If he actually is a 50 point player again, at that price, quite a bargain.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Low-risk due to salary. Potential high reward with how he produced last year. Savvy pickup.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Good move. I doubt he scores 50 again but he seems to be good for 15-20 goals most years. Can expose him if we need to, or flip him at the deadline.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Could be a decent middle six guy. There's little downside, and he could theoretically put up 50 points, so I can't complain.

He seems to run hot and cold, but the dude's been traded at each of the last three TDLs and signed with a new team each of the last three summers. Kinda hard to know what he can do when he packs his bags as soon as he gets used to a new team's system. It'll be interesting to see what he does here.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Does NJ play a style similar to Peters' system?

Stempniak did well in that system last year...

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Absolutely love this deal. Honestly, I had Lee Stempniak as my #1 target given our typical UFA moves. I was very upset when i read that he had signed back in NJ. I'm surprised someone didn't out-bid us, but I'm sure he wasn't the target for most teams and fell under the radar a bit. $2.5M is a steal if he tops 30 points and it's ridiculous if he can get to 50 again. Low risk here. What concerns me is that defensive play in his graphic. I have no idea how skilled Stempniak is in his defensive play.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Took a quick look at his advanced stats and he was an absolute possession nightmare with NJ but turned those numbers around considerably with Boston. Still I think he slots in better on Skinner and Rask's line than on Jordan's line.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Took a quick look at his advanced stats and he was an absolute possession nightmare with NJ but turned those numbers around considerably with Boston. Still I think he slots in better on Skinner and Rask's line than on Jordan's line.

Yeah I would NOT want him on the Staal line, that line generated its effectiveness by possession and just being otherwise impossible to knock off the puck when they got it. I think I'd rather have Stalberg there then Stempniak.

Stempniak as the 3rd wheel for Skinner-Rask or as the veteran presence for Aho-Lindholm makes a lot more sense to me.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
If he's as good at dishing it as his points::assists ratio shows, put him with Skinner. I think there will be plenty of distribution on the Lindholm line.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Trying to decide where Stempniak fits into your lineup has been the folly of several teams. He's a swiss army knife. He'll go where he's needed and probably produce from there.

Watching his goals from last season, almost every goal he scored was a result of him driving the net with his stick on the ice, using his speed to create partial 2-on-1's, and tapping home rebounds.

Seriously, just watch: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8470740

I don't think he scores a goal from more than five feet away from the tender. I think putting him with Lindholm or Aho might be a really good idea. Other than that, I don't know if a bad fit exists for him. He's played with so many guys in so many systems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad