Confirmed with Link: Canes Sign Bill Peters to Contract Extension Through 18-19

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I thought we were discussing coaching philosophy as it relates to the Canes. If you don't have the talent to execute a certain philosophy, even if it's worked elsewhere, that philosophy is being poorly applied.

I mean, they basically went from a steaming pile of feces to a 35-win team in two seasons, and I think most people would agree both the short-term and long-term futures are even better than that after this offseason. Debate the merits of Peters' coaching style or philosophy if you want (and I know you are just being devils' advocate here so I'm not picking on you) but it looks to me like a quantum leap forward from the directionless fog that permeated the org right up until JR got canned and RF took over.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I mean, they basically went from a steaming pile of feces to a 35-win team in two seasons,

But you also have to acknowledge that the year before Peters took over, the Canes were a 36 win team, with basically the same cast of characters. So as of right now, Peters has basically gotten them back to where they were when he took over when looking at the ultimate results.

and I think most people would agree both the short-term and long-term futures are even better than that after this offseason. Debate the merits of Peters' coaching style or philosophy if you want (and I know you are just being devils' advocate here so I'm not picking on you) but it looks to me like a quantum leap forward from the directionless fog that permeated the org right up until JR got canned and RF took over.

That I agree with, but as they say, the proof is in the pudding.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
But you also have to acknowledge that the year before Peters took over, the Canes were a 36 win team, with basically the same cast of characters. So as of right now, Peters has basically gotten them back to where they were when he took over when looking at the ultimate results.

Ultimate results sometimes don't tell the whole story. If in 5 years, this core still hasn't gotten to the playoffs, then yeah, it's bad. As of right now, though, it's a very young team with a lot of rising players and a coach/GM that appear to have a solid plan. Win totals being equal, I think anybody would take that over a team with a bunch of declining, injury-prone 30 somethings, and a GM/coach complement that appeared to be totally lost.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ultimate results sometimes don't tell the whole story. If in 5 years, this core still hasn't gotten to the playoffs, then yeah, it's bad. As of right now, though, it's a very young team with a lot of rising players and a coach/GM that appear to have a solid plan. Win totals being equal, I think anybody would take that over a team with a bunch of declining, injury-prone 30 somethings, and a GM/coach complement that appeared to be totally lost.

I don't disagree at all but it was you who used wins as a proof point. I was only commenting on your post that said: "I mean, they basically went from a steaming pile of feces to a 35-win team in two seasons". Saying that is conveniently ignoring that he inherited a 36 win team in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a BP fan and like a LOT of what he (and Francis) has done and like the direction the team is headed, which I've stated in a previous post in this thread. I have more optimism right now than I have in years, but that still doesn't change the fact that until he gets them over the hump into the playoffs, it won't mean much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad