Speculation: Canes roster building thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
So Ollie, two things:

1. If Chicago is in cap hell, which they are, moving a contract the size of Anisimov's relieves a lot. Sure, he's a valuable piece, but you've got to try and get turned down or you're never gonna have that good looking prom date.
2. You probably know my line of thinking....we don't need a 60 point guy and a 50 point guy....we need another guy that can pot 40 - 45 and maybe a gut that can pot 50. That's how this team is built.

Add to this just a modicum of improvement from one or two other guys and we're a playoff contender. Personally, I think you put Lindholm at 3c and if he doesn't work he doesn't work, but those two games that he played the pivot at the end of the season, he was much more engaged, seemed to be better at being in the right place at the right time. Give me a solid 3rd line scoring option and a Top 6 scoring option and pray the defense doesn't regress....and this team is making noise.

I've watched him a ton with Columbus, and I just don't think Anisimov is that great to begin with. He's a 20/20 player when given 2nd line time, and he surprisingly didn't produce better playing alongside two elite talents in Kane/Panarin. He would be a nice piece to have, but not one worth paying a 1st plus a good chunk of change in salary to add, when someone like Nash or a free agent signing can do a comparable job on the Canes 3rd line.

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I've watched him a ton with Columbus, and I just don't think Anisimov is that great to begin with. He's a 20/20 player when given 2nd line time, and he surprisingly didn't produce better playing alongside two elite talents in Kane/Panarin. He would be a nice piece to have, but not one worth paying a 1st plus a good chunk of change in salary to add, when someone like Nash or a free agent signing can do a comparable job on the Canes 3rd line.

Fair enough. I'll only say that my viewings of him must have been on his exceptional days. He seemed to play hard, had an accurate shot, and used his teammates well. I get your point about the salary, but my contention is regardless we've got $14 or $15 million that we are going to have to spend on like 4 guys, so I'm not worried about salary as we're going to be in a good position with that for at least 3 more years.

At any rate, there is going to be a lot of movement because of both the cap and expansion.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Anisimov gives the Hawks a much needed second center who's got some term. They aren't moving him, they'd find someone else to move to save the cash. He made them a better team. They've been looking for someone to fill that role for awhile.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
What would you say to one of these trade(only one-habs have to many center)
1)Plekanec for your 2e first round pick and Nicolas Roy
or2)Eller for a 2e and Nicolas roy
or 2)DD for Nicolas Roy and another b prospect.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC

I think I speak for the entire board when I say a "strong" no to all three. Any trade we make we want a legit, young #1 center. None of the three players you mention have value to us.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC

Go back to the shadow

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I didn't think it was that bad. I mean, no thanks on the last two, but Plekanec is still a very good player. Considering we'd have to protect him in expansion draft I wouldn't want to give up a first-rounder, but it's not a bad starting point.

Unless we think Nic Roy is coming in to be Eric Staal 2.0, I know a lot has been said about his development being ahead of schedule but I don't get the impression he's suddenly developed some sort of next level to his offensive game. (I know the stats, but Q)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I didn't think it was that bad. I mean, no thanks on the last two, but Plekanec is still a very good player. Considering we'd have to protect him in expansion draft I wouldn't want to give up a first-rounder, but it's not a bad starting point.

The problem with the offer isn't that Plekanec isn't a good player, it's where he is in his career. Francis: "I don't want to build a team to make the playoffs once, I want to build a team that will make the playoffs year after year" (parapharsing his quote). I do get that the Canes need to start making the playoffs, but Plekanec will be 34 early next season and is only signed for 2 years. Those are the types of guys you bring in as a complementary piece when you have a lot of other pieces already in place. They aren't the type of guy you trade a 1st and good prospect for at this point in the Canes build.

Unless we think Nic Roy is coming in to be Eric Staal 2.0, I know a lot has been said about his development being ahead of schedule but I don't get the impression he's suddenly developed some sort of next level to his offensive game. (I know the stats, but Q)

That may be true, but you don't trade a guy who is in a position of need, that you just drafted and then has taken a large step forward. A move like this screams JR to me.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

Not really interested. All three are middle-6 F and we have enough of those already. It's top-line talent (or middle-6 guys that are predominantly scoring forwards) that we're short on.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah Plek's isn't terrible. The offer for him is but he isn't. I wouldn't make a straight up trade for Pleks with Roy simply because of where our team is at this point. And I don't think his value is a 1st to begin with, yet alone a 1st plus a solid prospect like Roy.

Eller is a poor mans Brandon Sutter, not worth Roy alone to a team like us, and DD just... I have no ****ing clue what he's worth but he doesn't fit the mold of the type of player we're looking for at all.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I know there has been some talk of Nichushkin in trade proposals. I have seen very little of him outside of a couple of games in the playoffs, so would be interested in peoples view on him. At the time of the draft, he was viewed as a bull. A guy with a big frame, good speed, good shot, etc.. Some even compared him to a guy like Erik Cole. Using his speed and strength and tough to stop 1 on 1.

What I saw in the playoffs is almost none of that. He looked more like a lumbering Joe Vasicek than an Erik Cole. That said, I only watched him for parts of a couple of games so it's limited viewing. For those that have seen him more, what's he really look like?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
In a word... disappointing. Unfortunate really but the only time I've seen him really play like a bull was in his first season. Losing basically a full year to injury has ****ed his development big time at a crucial age for that. Kid needs to get his confidence back.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Didn't say I would do the trade for Plekanec, BTW, just that it wasn't the worst thing I've seen. I have a soft spot for dudes like that though.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I really do see RF trying to grab a guy that needs a change of scenery or wants out and Murphy being part of what goes back. Yak, Nich, Rychel for instance. I don't think Murphy has much value at all honestly, so I would expect RF to add something else.

It's too bad Drouin and TB seemed to be mending fences. I know it would be a pipedream, but he'd be perfect and I'd give up a ton for him.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Rychel and Nuke I would be on board with, I still keep waivering on Yak. If we could do it straight up sure why not gamble, but I don't think we could and I'm not sure he's worth anything more then a late 3rd being added.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I certainly haven't seen every game Nichushkin has ever played or anything, but I was usually impressed with him when I watched the Stars. I think the Cole comparison is better than the Vasicek one, but I can see both. I'd also contend that a prime Vasicek would be a welcome addition to the 16-17 Canes though, if that's what Nichushkin ends up becoming

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I certainly haven't seen every game Nichushkin has ever played or anything, but I was usually impressed with him when I watched the Stars. I think the Cole comparison is better than the Vasicek one, but I can see both. I'd also contend that a prime Vasicek would be a welcome addition to the 16-17 Canes though, if that's what Nichushkin ends up becoming

Depends what you call a "prime Vacisek". Other than one anomalous season, he was a 15G, 30P player. I don't think that Vasicek is a welcome addition.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I know there has been some talk of Nichushkin in trade proposals. I have seen very little of him outside of a couple of games in the playoffs, so would be interested in peoples view on him. At the time of the draft, he was viewed as a bull. A guy with a big frame, good speed, good shot, etc.. Some even compared him to a guy like Erik Cole. Using his speed and strength and tough to stop 1 on 1.

What I saw in the playoffs is almost none of that. He looked more like a lumbering Joe Vasicek than an Erik Cole. That said, I only watched him for parts of a couple of games so it's limited viewing. For those that have seen him more, what's he really look like?

I definitely saw the Erik Cole'ish play. He reminded me a bit of 01-02 Erik Cole before he figured out how to finish. I only saw a few games as well though. Apparently his better ones.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Maybe so, but when did JR ever do that?

Yeah, not that exact same scenario, but I mean more about making moves that trade prospects that haven't finished developing, young players that haven't finished developing, and/or picks for help now which he had a history of doing.

I'm fine with that approach when you have a competitive team and need a piece to put you over the top, I just don't think that's where the Canes are right now.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
I think this idea that we could expect to contend with our system/defense and three lines that kind of go 2A/2B/2C is kind of ********.

Could we make the playoffs like that? Yeah, but we'd be nothing more than 1st/2nd round fodder.

It's not a coincidence that the Blues weren't a legit contender until Tarasenko developed into an elite threat. The Sharks have Thornton. Pittsburgh has Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel. Tampa has Johnson and Kucherov, but they had an easy road to make it this far.

Look at the more traditional contenders, Chicago has Kane and Toews. LA has had Kopitar and Carter.

When was the last time a team built like that made a conference final? NJ and Arizona in 2012 probably, and they both got blasted by the Kings. You could make an argument for the Rangers last year, but they had a highly performing Nash and Brassard was disgusting in the playoffs. Oh and they had that Lundqvist guy who brings a level of goaltending that we'll never be able to secure.

There's just no realistic way that a team that doesn't have an elite first line forward talent wins the Stanley Cup. We're going to either have to develop or acquire one if we want to be more than just a consistent playoff team.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So remember when I jokingly made the post about Faulk really not being injured and was sitting out because he was unhappy? Well, then NotOpie followed that up with a "Value Of: " thread on the main board saying he was unhappy. It became "gospel" on HF and now it's making it into articles by HF Partners. :laugh:

http://thehockeywriters.com/finding-2-new-defencemen-for-the-oilers/

Justin Faulk, Carolina Hurricanes — There have been rumblings that he’s not thrilled with the situation in Carolina and would welcome a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad