Speculation: Canes roster building thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This isn't a thread about throwing in the towel this season, but a place to discuss the roster make-up next year and beyond. There is a very good possibility that this team will have a lot of turnover.

UFA's this year: E. Staal, Ward, Versteeg, Liles, Gerbe, Terry, Nash, Malone, Ryan.
UFA's next year: McClement, Hainsey, Wizniewski.
RFA's this year: Rask, Nordstrom, Jordan, Murphy at the NHL level and notable RFAs in the system: Biega, Lowe, Woods, Tirronen.

For next season, and the foreseeable future, the defense is pretty set although there is some potential to move D for F help. Lack is signed through 2018 so goalie is still a question mark and we know the forward ranks are weak. Barring any trades/signings, this is what the Canes have under contract in a couple of years: Skinner, J. Staal, Rask, Lindholm, PDG, Nestrasil, Nordstrom.

Possible guys who could make the jump in 1-2 years: Aho, whomever they draft this year in the projected 5-10 range, McGinn, Ryan (if re-signed), Wallmark(?), Ned (?), others?

What realistic moves/signings would you like to see or do you anticipate happening in attempts to build the roster for next year and the following?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I have no idea how Ronnie is going to play things at this point, especially if the team keeps playing well. I personally would go with trading the UFAs that you can and don't plan to re-sign even if you're in it, and do your best to get some kind of roster capable player back if needed.

I have no idea what they're going to do with Staal and Ward. I would still probably lean towards moving on from Ward no matter what, whether at the deadline or after the season, but if he actually takes a contract that is in line with his play, then it wouldn't be the end of the world. We just obviously can't have him taking up significant cap.

Based on his play, I'd still rather move on from Staal, but if he could be convinced that 6 million is enough (can't see him going lower than Jordan) and doesn't get a crazy term, I'd consider doing it. I don't think he'll agree to go that low though, and watching him play, even as a big Staal fan and defender, he's just not the same. His skating has taken a big step back, and his shot doesn't even seem to have the same power and accuracy. I think with the right players and circumstances, he could still hit 60 points, but I don't know that we'll have that perfect storm. A reset may be best for him.

I think the most interesting thing about our roster future after that, is that we know we're going to be getting a hopefully fully healthy and rested Wisniewski next year. Another veteran guy with offensive chops like he has could be really exciting to see. Wouldn't be shocking if they tried to shop him to a cap floor team given the number of dmen we've had step up this year. He has a high cap hit and a low salary and we could bring in a different vet. I think I might explore something like that, but otherwise, could be a heck of an addition without giving anything up for next season and be valuable at the deadline if for whatever reason we're not there yet.

The other thing that will be very interesting will be the Rask negotiations if he keeps his level of play up all year. I think we'd all like to see something like Lindholm, but it'll be interesting when we start hearing what kind of term both sides want.

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I hope Eric is traded by the TDL for something.

Versteeg and Liles I can see as trade bait also.

Nash and Malone might get a year contacts again, Gerbe, Ward, Terry, and Ryan, maybe Ryan stays.

Rask gets extended, Murphy gets traded, Nordstrom gets QA along with Beiga and Woods.

Beyond that, who knows?

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
This isn't a thread about throwing in the towel this season, but a place to discuss the roster make-up next year and beyond. There is a very good possibility that this team will have a lot of turnover.

UFA's this year: E. Staal, Ward, Versteeg, Liles, Gerbe, Terry, Nash, Malone, Ryan.
UFA's next year: McClement, Hainsey, Wizniewski.
RFA's this year: Rask, Nordstrom, Jordan, Murphy at the NHL level and notable RFAs in the system: Biega, Lowe, Woods, Tirronen.

For next season, and the foreseeable future, the defense is pretty set although there is some potential to move D for F help. Lack is signed through 2018 so goalie is still a question mark and we know the forward ranks are weak. Barring any trades/signings, this is what the Canes have under contract in a couple of years: Skinner, J. Staal, Rask, Lindholm, PDG, Nestrasil, Nordstrom.

Possible guys who could make the jump in 1-2 years: Aho, whomever they draft this year in the projected 5-10 range, McGinn, Ryan (if re-signed), Wallmark(?), Ned (?), others?

What realistic moves/signings would you like to see or do you anticipate happening in attempts to build the roster for next year and the following?

They need to move EStaal before the TDL, like, now. The more we move up the standings, the more it scares the **** out of me that they won't move him.

Obviously sign Rask. Out of the rest? Meh, I'd re-sign Gerbe for $1.5Mish, Malone at league min, Ryan for something. Try to flip the rest for scraps at the TDL (like Steeg and JML). Can't comment on the AHL guys.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
RF has his work cut out for him, but that's why he makes the big bucks.

I'd let go:
Terry, Malone, Jordan

Try to Trade:
Liles, Versteeg, Hainsey, Murphy

Keep:
McClement, Nordstrom, Ryan, Rask, Biega, Lowe, Woods, and Tirronen

Not sure:
EStaal: Personally I'd like to keep him. Depends on where RF sees the team going. Is he truly going to rebuild and we know we won't be competitive for another 3 years. Or does he want to retool, and try to make the playoffs again as soon as next year. I think JR wasted the prime years of Eric with the crap teams he put out, but it will be hard to replace a 6'4 center, even if Eric isn't putting up the points like he used to. Up until this year, he still led the team in points every year.

Ward: haven't checked to see what UFA goalies are there. I think Lack can be a serviceable #1 if we allow him to start the majority of the games and allow him to get in some kind of groove. Not sure any of the ones is the system are ready for NHL, so it would depend on what UFA goalies are out there, or if a back-up could be had in a trade.

Wiz: our defense seems to be doing just fine without him. But if we unload Hainsey and Liles, it would be nice to have another vet leading the backend with Faulk. It would be nice to actually see if he can make this team better. Again, guess it goes back to whether RF wants to compete now or in 2-3 years.

Gerbe: not sure where he fits in now.

Nash: see Gerbe

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I wouldn't re-sign Nash. Gerbe I could live either way, but likely move on. Malone for cheap isn't awful depth, but nothing super necessary. Hopefully we can get Ryan some playing time this year, as he's looked good when I've seen Charlotte play and it'd be nice to see what's there.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
$6 million to win faceoffs? No thanks.

At this point, it's almost as symbolic as it is necessary. Time to move on. This is a new team and it isn't Eric's anymore.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
RF has his work cut out for him, but that's why he makes the big bucks.

I'd let go:
Terry, Malone, Jordan

Try to Trade:
Liles, Versteeg, Hainsey, Murphy

Keep:
McClement, Nordstrom, Ryan, Rask, Biega, Lowe, Woods, and Tirronen

Not sure:
EStaal: Personally I'd like to keep him. Depends on where RF sees the team going. Is he truly going to rebuild and we know we won't be competitive for another 3 years. Or does he want to retool, and try to make the playoffs again as soon as next year. I think JR wasted the prime years of Eric with the crap teams he put out, but it will be hard to replace a 6'4 center, even if Eric isn't putting up the points like he used to. Up until this year, he still led the team in points every year.

Ward: haven't checked to see what UFA goalies are there. I think Lack can be a serviceable #1 if we allow him to start the majority of the games and allow him to get in some kind of groove. Not sure any of the ones is the system are ready for NHL, so it would depend on what UFA goalies are out there, or if a back-up could be had in a trade.

Wiz: our defense seems to be doing just fine without him. But if we unload Hainsey and Liles, it would be nice to have another vet leading the backend with Faulk. It would be nice to actually see if he can make this team better. Again, guess it goes back to whether RF wants to compete now or in 2-3 years.

Gerbe: not sure where he fits in now.

Nash: see Gerbe

Here's the free agent goalie market this off-season.

Goalie | Current Team | Current Salary
Niklas Backstrom|MIN|$4.0M
Jhonas Enroth|LAK|$1.25M
Jonas Gustavsson|BOS|$0.7M
Jonas Hiller|CGY|$4.5M
Carter Hutton|NSH|$0.75M
Chad Johnson|BUF|$1.6M
Anders Lindback|ARI|$0.875M
Al Montoya|FLA|$1.5M
Antti Raanta|NYR|$0.8M
Kari Ramo|CGY|$3.8M
James Reimer|TOR|$2.0M
Ben Scrivens|MTL|$2.3M
Alex Stalock|SJS|$1.7M
Cam Talbot|EDM|$1.45M
Cam Ward|CAR|$6.8M
Jeff Zatkoff|PIT|$0.6M

Also, if RF is feeling frisky and wants to offer sheet somebody, here are the RFAs...

Frederik Andersen
Jean-Francois Berube
Joe Cannata
Louis Domingue
Christopher Gibson
Kristers Gudlevskis
Michael Hutchinson
Darcy Kuemper
Petr Mrazek
Anders Nilsson
Garret Sparks

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The interesting thing about this year is that almost nobody is truly out of it right now. Canes are 7 points from a playoff spot, but 3 points from 29th in the NHL. The West is even worse as Anaheim, who is currently in 29th place in the NHL is only 5 points out of a playoff spot with 4 games in hand. If this continues, it could mean that there won't be nearly as many "sellers" at the deadline which could drive prices up for a team that does decide to sell. Assuming the Canes are sellers (which isn't a given by any means), here are some moves I'd like to see them try (obviously, all of them won't happen even if they do sell).

Deadline deals:
Trade E. Staal for a 1st and F prospect (similar to Sekera deal)
Trade Versteeg for a 2nd.
Trade Liles for a 3rd or 4th.

Not sure, based on how he is playing, that E. Staal could get that though. Might be more like a 2nd and a prospect, although it depends on the market.

Draft/off season:
Take best available forwards with all 3 first round picks.
Use at least 1 of the 2nd/3rd round picks on a goalie.
Try to trade Hainsey for anything.
Try to sign / trade for a veteran forward similar to the Versteeg deal.
Sign/trade for a goalie to compete with Lack.
Trade Murphy for a forward prospect with similar potential.

I realize not all of those will happen, but those are the types of moves that I'd like to see them try to do if they are in sell mode.

I wouldn't mind the re-signing Malone for a 4th line role, but wouldn't mind if they didn't re-sign him either. I don't see them signing Gerbe, Nash, Terry, or Jordan this year, thus giving some of the prospects/ahl guys a chance.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
The interesting thing about this year is that almost nobody is truly out of it right now. Canes are 7 points from a playoff spot, but 3 points from 29th in the NHL. The West is even worse as Anaheim, who is currently in 29th place in the NHL is only 5 points out of a playoff spot with 4 games in hand. If this continues, it could mean that there won't be nearly as many "sellers" at the deadline which could drive prices up for a team that does decide to sell. Assuming the Canes are sellers (which isn't a given by any means), here are some moves I'd like to see them try (obviously, all of them won't happen even if they do sell).

Deadline deals:

Not sure, based on how he is playing, that E. Staal could get that though. Might be more like a 2nd and a prospect, although it depends on the market.

Draft/off season:

I realize not all of those will happen, but those are the types of moves that I'd like to see them try to do if they are in sell mode.

I wouldn't mind the re-signing Malone for a 4th line role, but wouldn't mind if they didn't re-sign him either. I don't see them signing Gerbe, Nash, Terry, or Jordan this year, thus giving some of the prospects/ahl guys a chance.

I think Eric can fetch better return than Sekera did. Just look at what Vermette brought back last year. If a team like Nashville or Montreal fill their hole at center with a Johansen or a RNH, I'm sure there's teams that will take Staal just to help their forward depth. To me the late 1st + prospect is a worst case scenario. Plus don't forget the power of the Staal name. I mean this is the last name that got Jared drafted in the second round :laugh:

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010

Deadline deals:

Draft/off season:

Trades
Eric Staal for Mike McCarron, 1st and Desharnais (take on Desharnais instead of retaining EStaal money.)
Versteeg for 2nd
Liles for 3rd or 4th
Cam Ward, 3rd for Bernier
Murphy for Rychel
JStaal, Nash for Colin Wilson, Cody Hodgson, 2nd

Signings
Any winger.. Perron? Heck, Jagr?

Skinner Rask FA winger
Wilson Lindholm Hodgson
Rychel/Di Giuseppe Desharnais McCarron/Di Giuseppe
Malone McClement Nordstrom/Nestrasil

Hanifin Faulk
Hainsey Pesce
Fleury Wiznewski

Bernier
Lack

I know it might be a long shot for Hodgson to be in top 6, but I don't know.. I think he can get back to his game. And yes, I want to see Lindholm in the center.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC

Montreal deal makes sense but you'll have to swap out McCarron for a lesser prospect like JDLR.

Nashville one is horrible. They want a top line scoring center, not Jordan for another 7 years.

Ward is basically untradeable imo, especially when Toronto would have zero reason to trade for him, especially when they're the ones giving up a pick and will have two UFA goalies afterwards.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'd like to see RF get a decent return for Hainsey. I have a feeling there is going to be some team out there that would like to have him for a playoff run/push more than us.

I am also hoping we can get something decent for Ryan Murphy. I think he's become the odd man out amongst Pesce/Slavin/Wiz/Fleury.

I don't know what to say about the Cam/Eric situation.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
What pricetag would you be okay with Eric re-signing

Spezza $$$ ($7.5 mil)

I’m more concerned about term than $$$, though. If I'm GMRF and I have to give him a little bit more to get him for 3-4 years as opposed to 5+, okay. Paying E. Staal big $$$ at age 32, 33, 34 and even 35 is workable. Committing big $$$ to 36 year old+ E. Staal makes me rather uncomfortable.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
i want to re-sign liles and trade hainsey

or trade both bc i keep forgetting wiz is even on the team

trade staal and tell him to come back next year for $6m

just let wards contract run out, trading him will be tough at this point (obviously trade him if a trade is available)

if someone offers a pick for gerbe take it and just buy hanifin a condo

get altshuller a start before the year ends

re-sign all the good rfas

get rid of terry and his band of bad rfas

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
Montreal deal makes sense but you'll have to swap out McCarron for a lesser prospect like JDLR.

Nashville one is horrible. They want a top line scoring center, not Jordan for another 7 years.

Ward is basically untradeable imo, especially when Toronto would have zero reason to trade for him, especially when they're the ones giving up a pick and will have two UFA goalies afterwards.

You might be right about Montreal; though, I don't really think McCarron is THAT special.

Nashville is pretty desperate for a center. And Wilson has struggled quite a bit this year..

Bernier needs a new home. Carolina gives TOR a 3rd, they just have to finish out Ward's contract.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
You might be right about Montreal; though, I don't really think McCarron is THAT special.

Nashville is pretty desperate for a center. And Wilson has struggled quite a bit this year..

Bernier needs a new home. Carolina gives TOR a 3rd, they just have to finish out Ward's contract.

I just don't think Jordan is the type of center Nashville is looking for, while there's plenty of offensive centers they should go after.

I misread the Ward deal. Still, I think we should sign someone like Reimer in the offseason. Doesn't make sense to me to dump Ward's contract when he'll be UFA anyway.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I'm ready to move on from Eric. Jordan too but I fear he's not very movable. Cam and Hainsey can go. I'd like to re-sign Versteeg and probably Liles as well. Gerbe is a toss-up and there are plenty of Terrys in the AHL.

If we're not gonna score goals, I want to be a team that's hard to play against. I don't think we're that either. We're not tenacious or "scary". Just a very boring roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->