Confirmed with Link: Canes Recall Gauthier

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Gibbons is the most useless player ever.
Doesn’t say much for our Forward prospects in Charlotte that Gibbons 11 points in 12 games trails only Geekie (13 points in 24 games) and Gauthier (12 points in 22 games).

I realize that there’s a bunch of turnover in Charlotte, but was hoping one of Geekie, Gauthier or Kuokkanen would show more scoring prowess. Gauthier does have 10 goals though which potentially a good sign. Hopefully he can show a scoring touch in the NHL

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Doesn’t say much for our Forward prospects in Charlotte that Gibbons 11 points in 12 games trails only Geekie (13 points in 24 games) and Gauthier (12 points in 22 games).

I realize that there’s a bunch of turnover in Charlotte, but was hoping one of Geekie, Gauthier or Kuokkanen would show more scoring prowess. Gauthier does have 10 goals though which potentially a good sign. Hopefully he can show a scoring touch in the NHL
Veterans will score more consistently than prospects.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Veterans will score more consistently than prospects.

That's true sometimes. Some veterans will score more, but now always. Last year, Necas, Saarela, and Geekie all put up big numbers in Charlotte, as did Poturalski who was more veteran, but still only 24. Drake Batherson leads the AHL in scoring and he's a prospect. Lucas Elvenes is 20 years old and 5th in the AHL in scoring. Gauthier is now in his 3rd AHL season, as is Kuokkanen (although injury shortened), so it's not like they are "fresh from Juniors" prospects. Geekie is only in his 2nd year, but was coming off of a good season last year. Regardless of how Gibbons is doing, I had hoped to see better scoring from these guys with them taking on more prominent roles with the turnover in Charlotte.

I don't expect Gibbons to be a PPG player even in the AHL and that's really not the point. If these guys can't excel in the AHL, I don't have a lot of confidence in them being successful in the NHL. Like I said though, Gauthier's scoring goals and that's what he was drafted as, so hopefully it will translate to the NHL.

EDIT: I should clarify that I'm not advocating for Gibbons. I think he is useless so I'd rather try some of the AHL guys to see if they can be more effective. I just had hoped they would show more scoring touch in the AHL. Hopefully Gauthier can throw his big body around and find the back of the net once or twice on this roadtrip.

Last edited:

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Hope it's a real chance - not a display for a trade with the Western teams - kind of situation.

He gets a lot of fan love. Therefore, if he does well, I am sure the marketing machine will be set to go.

It's really cool to see how this team milks every moment for engagement and optimizes their content distribution channel. They're spoon feeding so many NHL sites this season.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Well there were rumors of interest in a Gauthier(+?) for Puljujarvi(+?) trade earlier in the fall. That may not have completely died.

It would be pretty funny to see Gauthier get his first NHL goal against EDM tomorrow. I highly doubt it’s a showcase type call-up.

Gauthier is a big boy, and the Canes as a whole don’t really have a lot of size up front. They’re going to be put through the rigors of a lot of play during this trip out West. I take Gauthier’s call up over keeping a guy like Gibbons around to mean they’re wanting a guy more capable of physical play. That, and the fact Gauthier has been about the only Checker actually scoring goals lately.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
That's true sometimes. Some veterans will score more, but now always. Last year, Necas, Saarela, and Geekie all put up big numbers in Charlotte, as did Poturalski who was more veteran, but still only 24. Drake Batherson leads the AHL in scoring and he's a prospect. Lucas Elvenes is 20 years old and 5th in the AHL in scoring. Gauthier is now in his 3rd AHL season, as is Kuokkanen (although injury shortened), so it's not like they are "fresh from Juniors" prospects. Geekie is only in his 2nd year, but was coming off of a good season last year. Regardless of how Gibbons is doing, I had hoped to see better scoring from these guys with them taking on more prominent roles with the turnover in Charlotte.

I don't expect Gibbons to be a PPG player even in the AHL and that's really not the point. If these guys can't excel in the AHL, I don't have a lot of confidence in them being successful in the NHL. Like I said though, Gauthier's scoring goals and that's what he was drafted as, so hopefully it will translate to the NHL.

EDIT: I should clarify that I'm not advocating for Gibbons. I think he is useless so I'd rather try some of the AHL guys to see if they can be more effective. I just had hoped they would show more scoring touch in the AHL. Hopefully Gauthier can throw his big body around and find the back of the net once or twice on this roadtrip.
Problem is that whole team is a tire fire right now, there is ZERO connection/chemistry between anyone, they look like a bunch of lost ECHLers with the exception of a few individuals. Goat can score on his own, and Bean/McKeown are getting stuff on the PP, but guys who need ANY help (a good passer or finisher for their passes) isn't succeeding because the whole team is flailing. They are 2nd worst in goal-scoring only to Bridgeport, and of the 60 goals, 20 are PPG. They are #1 on the PK at least, and PP they are #1 on the road (15 goals), but terrible at home (5) - 4th overall. Outside of special teams, they've been atrocious as a team making it really hard to evaluate anyone in particular. Goat and Luos are 2 guys who stand-out a bit trying to make individual plays, Bean is Jekyll/Hyde a lot (he's been Carrick-bad at holding the blue-line but solid otherwise), McKeown has been rock-solid steady and i think could still be a good 6/7 NHLer. I think our new coach is in way over his head honestly.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Problem is that whole team is a tire fire right now, there is ZERO connection/chemistry between anyone, they look like a bunch of lost ECHLers with the exception of a few individuals. Goat can score on his own, and Bean/McKeown are getting stuff on the PP, but guys who need ANY help (a good passer or finisher for their passes) isn't succeeding because the whole team is flailing. They are 2nd worst in goal-scoring only to Bridgeport, and of the 60 goals, 20 are PPG. They are #1 on the PK at least, and PP they are #1 on the road (15 goals), but terrible at home (5) - 4th overall. Outside of special teams, they've been atrocious as a team making it really hard to evaluate anyone in particular. Goat and Luos are 2 guys who stand-out a bit trying to make individual plays, Bean is Jekyll/Hyde a lot (he's been Carrick-bad at holding the blue-line but solid otherwise), McKeown has been rock-solid steady and i think could still be a good 6/7 NHLer. I think our new coach is in way over his head honestly.
It's unfortunate, but the reality is that the team got absolutely gutted. You lose Poturalski, Necas, Saarela, Carrick, Roy, Schilkey, etc., without replacements, well..

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
It's unfortunate, but the reality is that the team got absolutely gutted. You lose Poturalski, Necas, Saarela, Carrick, Roy, Schilkey, etc., without replacements, well..
Oh yea, they got gutted big time...out of players with >10G/30PTS, we lost our top 4 scorers + 9-11 (only 5-8 remain and they're our leaders this year). And most of those "veteran" replacements we got (Gust, McCormick, Shinkaruk, Markinson, Forlsing, Wood, Rychel, Fitzgerald) have been virtually non-factors most of the time.
and the Coach
...and he's a rookie AHL coach and the youngest since 2000 I think?

It's tough going from a record, Championship winning team to ECHL level of play in 1 year...I think everyone expected them to worse than last year with the turnover, but not quite this bad. When playing the same team twice in a row they never win both...I think they've only won 2 games in a row once this year.

On the topic of Goat though, he's definitely been one of the brighter spots on the roster so far and has stood out several times trying to make things happen

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Really glad to see this. Hopefully he is able to break out with limited minutes.

Kind of puzzled as to why this Gibbons character was called up before him, however...
He showed down in the AHL that he played the chimp and chase well, that he didn't monkey around, and the staff thus went ape over him.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Regardless of how Gibbons is doing, I had hoped to see better scoring from these guys with them taking on more prominent roles with the turnover in Charlotte.

I'm with you 100% @Boom Boom Apathy. The only thing that I might offer is Geekie took a while to get started last season, but I didn't think that would be the case this year. And he came on at the end....but I believe he ended up centering Poturalski and Saarela at that time too....I could be wrong on this. Ditto for Goat, he really poured it on in the 2nd half.

I've see a couple of Checkers games and I'll echo the sentiment about Gauthier. He seems to play hard every night. Kuokkanen seems to still be recovering from his injury. It looks like he's pretty passive. His game is similar to Turbo's in the sense that he's a really good passer, but he's also got a pretty deadly shot. So I don't know what's going on there....unless...

I think our new coach is in way over his head honestly.

The new coach isn't ready yet...and that's the sense I get too....I don't know enough about coaching strategy, but he seems challenged to make in game adjustments....and I just don't think he commands the room.

Kind of puzzled as to why this Gibbons character was called up before him, however...

You want Goat playing lots of minutes as much as possible....even if it is in the AHL. He doesn't benefit from 7-8 minutes a night at the NHL level. Gibbons is 31 years old and a "wily veteran"....he's a borderline 4th liner, but he doesn't really do much damage and he's fast as lightning. So my guess is the thinking was, he was a plug and play guy. He's just not Greg McKegg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad