Confirmed with Link: Canes Recall Gauthier

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Gibbons had two straight years as a competent depth player at the NHL level. Granted, that was probably largely due to being on bad teams, but they have probably hoped he would recapture some of that since nobody from Charlotte has screamed being ready. Gibbons is also slightly cheaper I believe, which this year at least, works in his favor.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The way we’ve done call ups there’s no reason to think we’re going to keep Goat around long term with small minutes unless he’s really crushing the role, they’d give him more minutes if he did.

It seemed that there was an issue with Goat when he went down and we were speculating he’s getting traded. Maybe that’s still possibly true but this could also be rewarding him for hard work and signaling they’re past all that.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
If they were smart, and wanted develop him others properly, they should have sent him back with clear and obvious critiques and instructions on how to play his way back onto the NHL roster. I need you to do XYZ and I need your AHL coach to tell me you’re doing XYZ before you come back up.
I'd amend that to say "If they were competent...". I just cannot see an organization that fails to do that as being competent.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If they were smart, and wanted develop him others properly, they should have sent him back with clear and obvious critiques and instructions on how to play his way back onto the NHL roster. I need you to do XYZ and I need your AHL coach to tell me you’re doing XYZ before you come back up.

I'd amend that to say "If they were competent...". I just cannot see an organization that fails to do that as being competent.

It could be as simple as "We like the way you are playing the game, but these guys are simply better than you are right now."

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It seemed that there was an issue with Goat when he went down and we were speculating he’s getting traded.

I didn't see or hear any sulking/disappointment when he went back down....I think it took him like 4 games or so to get used to his line mates and then he was scoring goals again.

I'd be the first to say I missed the first part....I did see the Puljujarvi for Gauthier rumors and commented that I thought that would be a mistake. Personally, again, he's a big power forward, goal-scorer. He's really following a traditional path for those types of players. It is truly only in the last few years that expectations of those guys, coming in and making a difference in the NHL in short order has surfaced.

I like how they're handling him....my guess is they sent him down with instructions, reinforcing that he needs to have more of an offensive impact up here. I guess they are also saying to him, let's see you be a disrupter who can ALSO be responsible on defense.

If Necas isn't quite ready, I'd like to see him on that 3rd line with Dzingle and Wallmark. I think that would be a tough matchup for any team.....last change not withstanding.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I didn't see or hear any sulking/disappointment when he went back down....I think it took him like 4 games or so to get used to his line mates and then he was scoring goals again.

I'd be the first to say I missed the first part....I did see the Puljujarvi for Gauthier rumors and commented that I thought that would be a mistake. Personally, again, he's a big power forward, goal-scorer. He's really following a traditional path for those types of players. It is truly only in the last few years that expectations of those guys, coming in and making a difference in the NHL in short order has surfaced.

I like how they're handling him....my guess is they sent him down with instructions, reinforcing that he needs to have more of an offensive impact up here. I guess they are also saying to him, let's see you be a disrupter who can ALSO be responsible on defense.

If Necas isn't quite ready, I'd like to see him on that 3rd line with Dzingle and Wallmark. I think that would be a tough matchup for any team.....last change not withstanding.
It was anecdotal from here, someone said they met Forslund or heard an interview maybe where he intimated that when he got sent down it didn’t go smooth. As in he either didn’t want to go down or just didn’t take it well, and then Forslund said it would be awhile before he got called up when we all assumed he was knocking on the door.

Whoever said it can obviously say it better than me.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Dzingel-Wallmark-Gauthier "would be a tough matchup for any team"? Yeah, I can see how opposing coaches would be terrified of having to match up with that line. :sarcasm:

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I heard it. A POed caller asked why Gauthier and Ned weren't on the team. At the time, Forslund said the door was closed as he still had some things to work on - that he needed to get over his disappointment and get his game going in Charlotte. He kinda mumbled a few things about a trade. It was very early into our season - a few weeks after he had been sent down. He said something similarly re: Ned, too, but implied Ned's disappointment was more justified as he didn't get a fair shake.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I heard it. A POed caller asked why Gauthier and Ned weren't on the team. At the time, Forslund said the door was closed as he still had some things to work on - that he needed to get over his disappointment and get his game going in Charlotte. He kinda mumbled a few things about a trade. It was very early into our season - a few weeks after he had been sent down. He said something similarly re: Ned, too, but implied Ned's disappointment was more justified as he didn't get a fair shake.

What does Negan4coach's voice sound like? :sarcasm:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Whoever said it can obviously say it better than me.

I've no doubt, but I just didn't hear about that....and shortly after he got sent down he was scoring again. I do believe he thought he earned a shot on the team out of camp, so I could see the disappointment thing. But as others have said, he didn't put up enough scoring points....and that's his bag....if he doesn't do that, then he's not very effective.

I can see how opposing coaches would be terrified of having to match up with that line. :sarcasm:

Okay, okay....I meant to say it would be a tough 3rd line match up...still, with last change, opposing teams could roll out offensive lines against them and only Wally is solid defensively of that bunch.

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Okay, okay....I meant to say it would be a tough 3rd line match up...still, with last change, opposing teams could roll out offensive lines against them and only Wally is solid defensively of that bunch.

I don't agree with you that an Gauthier, Wallmark, and Dzingel would be a tough 3rd line match-up. Gauthier is an unproven AHLr at this point. Wallmark is an "ok" 3rd line center. Dzingel is a top 6 player who isn't great defensively. Gauthier has to show he can be an NHLr before I would say that's a tough match-up.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Le-Beau.jpg

Let's go Jean Paul le beau.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I don't agree with you that an Gauthier, Wallmark, and Dzingel would be a tough 3rd line match-up. Gauthier is an unproven AHLr at this point. Wallmark is an "ok" 3rd line center. Dzingel is a top 6 player who isn't great defensively. Gauthier has to show he can be an NHLr before I would say that's a tough match-up.
I was going to try and make a funny/snarky reply but the "Top 6, Middle 6, et al" replies are impossible to top.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad