Confirmed with Link: Canes Re-Sign MacIntyre, 1-year/2-way

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Is that Bizarro Steve Buscemi?
Got a link to his post-season interview? (or quotes)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Is that Bizarro Steve Buscemi?
Got a link to his post-season interview? (or quotes)

http://www.gocheckers.com/articles/...oping-checkers-add-experience-for-next-season

this was the telling one to me:

“I love the city, I love the organization and I’d love to be back, but if we have one of the youngest teams again, then no, I’m not interested.”

so I see this as a sign that we want the AHL team to be competitive next season even as we use it as a developmental platform.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I don't know if you want an AHL coach who's #1 goal is to win. There's certainly nothing wrong with winning, but it seems like developing prospects should be far and away the #1 objective.

It's a weird balance for sure for those coaches.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Good lord man, he's a goalie. I dare someone to make a dumber post than this dips@$% above me.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
vz4JXbJ.png

What is going on here

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
If I see someone say something really dumb, I call them out on it. I apologize if I was a little harsh there to wally.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Drew and Tirronen should make for a pretty good tandem for Charlotte

If I see someone say something really dumb, I call them out on it. I apologize if I was a little harsh there to wally.

Harsh, but fair imo

Hopefully, wally accepts your apology and you can move forward amicably

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I don't know if you want an AHL coach who's #1 goal is to win. There's certainly nothing wrong with winning, but it seems like developing prospects should be far and away the #1 objective.

It's a weird balance for sure for those coaches.

You're dead to wally

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
So I imagine this means Altshuler is just done as a prospect?

I wouldn't go that far, really. He needs to prove that he can have success for an extended period in the ECHL before we think about moving him. But we have plenty of time there. I don't worry about goalie prospects until we're at the expiration of their ELC and they haven't shown any marked progress.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So I imagine this means Altshuler is just done as a prospect?

Not really. Altshuller could have played in the OHL last year as his overage year but instead was in the ECHL with limited playing time. Possibly not the best thing for him but if he wasn't learning good habits in the O then maybe it was a better move. For a guy that's still 20 the question will be how he progresses next season, if he can grab the reigns in Florida and be their #1. If he can do that and make a move to progress to the AHL level by the end of his ELC then no, I would say he's doing OK as a prospect. Not as good as expected when he was one of the 3 best goalies in the OHL the past few years, but not a bust at that point either.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Not really. Altshuller could have played in the OHL last year as his overage year but instead was in the ECHL with limited playing time. Possibly not the best thing for him but if he wasn't learning good habits in the O then maybe it was a better move. For a guy that's still 20 the question will be how he progresses next season, if he can grab the reigns in Florida and be their #1. If he can do that and make a move to progress to the AHL level by the end of his ELC then no, I would say he's doing OK as a prospect. Not as good as expected when he was one of the 3 best goalies in the OHL the past few years, but not a bust at that point either.

Dave, as I recall there were a number of posters on this board commenting on the mishandling of Altshuller, specifically not having him play his overage year in the "O". My sense is while he may not have had much to learn/prove, it would have been much better for him to have played more games vs less games. He just didn't get much of anything this year in FL. Having said that, I do believe you have intimated what this organization's plan for Altshuller is. They don't want to end up in another situation where they only have a Peters-esque type of option. Nedeljkovic and Altshuller are the future. Tirronen is a "let's see what might be". MacIntyre is the smart move, veteren injury call up if necessary.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I tend to forget that you do need a 3rd legitimate option in net. You'd think I wouldn't with Cam's injury history,but here we are.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
lawl true that.

Then again we're kinda used to running with a shallow goalie pool in our org, so the concept of having 3 guys that don't suck under contract as well as two prospects is relatively new to us.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Totally freaked me out when both Anderson and Lehner went down for Ottawa, but somehow Hammond became a viable (and more) goaltender at the end of the season. We really had no depth whatsoever, and now we HAVE to make a goalie trade (one of Lehner or Anderson) to make room for Hammond and eventually O'Connor if he develops as expected.

Went from a position of weakness to a potential embarrassment of riches in one season.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I look for a bit of a bounce-back year from Anton this season, but I also feel his style of play could lead to the occasional injury. Hence our need to have a solid #3 in the organization, not stellar, but solid. Cam is going to do whatever Cam is going to do. If he proves that he could continue to be closer to his best years then he's likely to be resigned (maybe a 2 year deal or something). However, I believe that the plan was (and perhaps still is) to move one of Cam or Anton as our prospects proved themselves viable. I've always felt that would be Cam, but perhaps, it ends up being Khudobin (if he has a good year we'd likely get a better return).

I believe the organization hopes the Tirronen proves to be capable and next year (2016-17) he's the "solid #3". Altshuller likely becomes the other guy in Charlotte and Nedeljkovic becomes the #1 in FL. That progression then continues with Tirronen either moving up to the #2 position in Raleigh, Altshuller becomes the #1 in Charlotte and Neds then is his back-up. Rinse and repeat. I also fully expect us to draft another goalie prospect this year. Then depending how the plan above works out, we might skip a year or two, but we should always have a young goalie in juniors, one in the ECHL, and one in the AHL.

I think this is especially true given that we have 10 picks this year and 9 next year. I'd go forward-heavy in the next two drafts, but I'd still likely take a goalie at least this year and probably next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad