Confirmed with Link: Canes Re-sign Hainsey

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
For the price we signed him at, I think letting him decide where he gets traded to is fair. I'd say in his last year, if we haven't won the cup, or it's looking bleak, he would waive for a contender.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Hainsey did grow up watching Francis in Hartford. Perhaps he really wanted to play for him.

Also, Hainsey is looking for a place to retire and raise his kids...and if you're in Wake County and rich, there are not many places you can beat.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
This... It's a nice deal, but is Hainsey really a key piece to winning? I don't really think so... So I think the cheering is a little much... I cheer the value, I meh the player as a 3/4

We needed two 3/4s...now we still need one 3/4. Too many years under JR we trotted-out 4 or more 5/6 guys and called it a defense.

It's worth cheering a step in the right direction that suggests someone in our FO gets it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This... It's a nice deal, but is Hainsey really a key piece to winning? I don't really think so... So I think the cheering is a little much... I cheer the value, I meh the player as a 3/4

I contend that having REAL NHL caliber 3/4 D-men (at a decent price) playing in the 3/4 role is a key piece to winning. We've seen what happens when you have guys like Gleason, McBain, Corvo and the likes in that role instead.

Obviously, that move in itself won't push them over the edge, but filling that role with a combination of Harrison or Murphy would have been immensely worse.

That's the problem with the Canes past approach to D. Unless you draft and develop them, you are stuck with overpaying in UFA or trading for them, both of them which usually cost too much (except in the Sekera case).

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
I contend that having REAL NHL caliber 3/4 D-men (at a decent price) playing in the 3/4 role is a key piece to winning. We've seen what happens when you have guys like Gleason, McBain, Corvo and the likes in that role instead.

Obviously, that move in itself won't push them over the edge, but filling that role with a combination of Harrison or Murphy would have been immensely worse.

That's the problem with the Canes past approach to D. Unless you draft and develop them, you are stuck with overpaying in UFA or trading for them, both of them which usually cost too much (except in the Sekera case).

You just listed 3 guys with terrible hockey IQs. IMo that was the real issue with JRs signings. He didn't emphasize the in game thinking nearly enough and overrated tools

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I wonder if Hainsey is kicking himself now. he probably could have gotten a contract to nicely take him into retirement.

Could be, but he has already made $27 mil in his career. Might be content in a nice southern city with little to no pressure at this point.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, I'm sure he knew exactly what he was doing and the type of money he could have gotten elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad