Confirmed with Link: Canes Re-Sign Cam Ward

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I think my favorite memory of him in person was game 5 against Sabres in 06.

We were giving up odd man breaks and breakaways left and right to Buffalo. He stoned at least 2 very important breakaway shots.

Who knows if we win the series, if we lost game 5.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
It's a shame Cam was never given a competent backup goaltender and blue line during his prime. I'm convinced he would be playing another 3-4 years if this franchise never ran him into the ground the way they did, but unfortunately it was the only way to try and grab a playoff spot since the team was too good to tank.

I'm all for his jersey retirement, to hell with what other fans think. Cam is a big reason 2006 and 2009 happened, and he handled the bad years like a professional and was a great teammate.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Interesting that Waddell says “thanks for doing this for us”. I’d never thought about these deals previously, but I guess it makes sense it’s the club that initiates it. Just doesn’t seem like it’d be a favor the player would be doing for the org, but rather it’d be a thing the org was doing for the player.

I dunno...just struck me a little funny.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Interesting that Waddell says “thanks for doing this for us”. I’d never thought about these deals previously, but I guess it makes sense it’s the club that initiates it. Just doesn’t seem like it’d be a favor the player would be doing for the org, but rather it’d be a thing the org was doing for the player.

I dunno...just struck me a little funny.

It's good PR. It's worth way more to the team than it is to Cam I would think.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It's good PR. It's worth way more to the team than it is to Cam I would think.

Let's face it: If Ward had retired without doing this "one day" thing, someone out there would create a stink about how he hates Carolina and that's why he didn't retire a Hurricane. And then someone else, looking for a new story in the dead of the off-season, would take that accusation and run with it, and by Friday, we'd have 15 articles questioning why the relationship between the two parties soured.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Let's face it: If Ward had retired without doing this "one day" thing, someone out there would create a stink about how he hates Carolina and that's why he didn't retire a Hurricane. And then someone else, looking for a new story in the dead of the off-season, would take that accusation and run with it, and by Friday, we'd have 15 articles questioning why the relationship between the two parties soured.
He was always jealous that Freddy Andersen got out and was able to play for a top tier team in a real market in Canada

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Whaaaaaaat?

Are you seriously saying that the hockey media would... fabricate a story just to try and stir up controversy over the Canes, and specifically how Dundon runs the franchise?

Well I'll be

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Interestingly, Ward ends his career tied for 2nd in career goalscoring among goalies because of that.

NHL.com - Stats

Was at that one with somebody else from this board (forget who). Very much a 'wait, what happened' moment for me, I thought Jokinen had touched it. Then the realization hit.

Very cool to get a chance to see that.

Last edited:
Reactions: zman77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad