Post-Game Talk: Canes @ Rangers 12/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Wish Hayes would see some time on the power play, he's proven he's got some stellar vision, and he's so big he could set up on the half wall or near the net with Kreider and be effective either way.

Boyle looked miles better tonight than last night I thought, though he still didn't look stellar.

Can't believe anyone's complaining about the score, especially as though there's anyone to blame but Khudobin. Good teams all have to blow out teams like Carolina because they're good? Pittsburgh is 1-1 against them, both 1 goal games. Tampa just beat them 2-1 earlier this month. The game was not close.

Were talking about the same coach who puts our worst puck handling defenseman on the 2nd power play unit, while our 3rd pairing guy who has as many goals as 3 of our forwards does not get power play time.

I wouldn't expect anything yet.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
good win on a 2nd night of a b2b. 6 in a row is a legit streak. west coast trips always help to build chemistry.

like I've said, this defense is very solid. cambot didn't have to make many big time saves. the canes had almost no time and space. if we are healthy, this defense is good enough to win.

we played an efficient game but still need to see more scoring. a guy like vermette goes a looooong way to making us a real contender.

we still have work to do with our top 12 forwards.

av still overplaying the top 5 dmen. its gonna cost us games.

We've outscored our opponents 20-8 on this win streak and we are 8th in the league in GPG. Our scoring is fine.

Only McDonagh and Girardi got over 20 minutes last game, so I have no idea what you're talking about that AV is overplaying the top 5.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Seems like our possession stats have flatlined a bit. Is it worrying to anyone else? It's hard to feel reassured that our success is going to last? How are we not like the leafs who just saw their six-game streak collapse.

Obviously we're not nearly as porous defensively, but does anyone have an explanation for our really bad possession stats, especially given what they were last year under AV?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hunwick continues to look better than Moore. He is more assertive with the puck and make good, smart decisions on when to pinch and when to attack the player with the puck

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Hunwick continues to look better than Moore. He is more assertive with the puck and make good, smart decisions on when to pinch and when to attack the player with the puck

Moore is going to be traded. I would love to package Moore and Staal for a legitimate 2nd pairing anchor.

I liked Sekera's play last night.

Myers or Sekera look to be prime targets

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Moore is going to be traded. I would love to package Moore and Staal for a legitimate 2nd pairing anchor.

Myers would cost A LOT and Detroit has been looking at him for a while. They have quite a few assets I would think they would be okay moving. Lots of forwards.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Not even remotely interested in Myers.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Seems like our possession stats have flatlined a bit. Is it worrying to anyone else? It's hard to feel reassured that our success is going to last? How are we not like the leafs who just saw their six-game streak collapse.

Obviously we're not nearly as porous defensively, but does anyone have an explanation for our really bad possession stats, especially given what they were last year under AV?

Possession stats flatlining? Did you watch last nights game? We flat out dominated Carolina.

It is nice to see that we are winning at home. We couldn't seem to do that consistently last year.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You want to trade Marc Staal to get a legitimate second pairing Anchor

Totally makes sense yah lol

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We've outscored our opponents 20-8 on this win streak and we are 8th in the league in GPG. Our scoring is fine.

Only McDonagh and Girardi got over 20 minutes last game, so I have no idea what you're talking about that AV is overplaying the top 5.

How do u overplay your top 5 lol

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

What do you mean flatlined? We owned Carolina both games, handily, possession wise.

They should only get better with a fully healthy roster, with no Glass.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York

I'm not sure, but Stepan and Nash have uncharacteristically subpar possession stats while also racking up points, so IDK.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
Glass actually made a really nice play last night. Hard forecheck and quick pass in front to Brassard who should have buried it. If he did that more than once every 30 games he might endear himself a bit to us fans.

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Glass actually made a really nice play last night. Hard forecheck and quick pass in front to Moore (I believe) who should have buried it. If he did that more than once every 30 games he might endear himself a bit to us fans.

its too bad his hockey skills are trash and he should be playing ECHL level hockey...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
What do you mean flatlined? We owned Carolina both games, handily, possession wise.

They should only get better with a fully healthy roster, with no Glass.

The Rangers possession stats haven't been that good this year overall and even though they swept their western canada trip they were out-corsi'd in those games (well, maybe the Edmonton game was even). The issue I see is really that the Rangers aren't/weren't shooting all that much at times and if they were up by a goal or more in the third they'd sit back and not really press the forecheck or try to get shots.

On the other hand the team isn't that different from last years team, they're finally healthy for the most part, and we've heard that the coaching staff is focused on keeping the puck and getting pressure and shots on goal etc so I dont' think it's a game plan thing, I think it's just the team trying to find its way at the moment

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The Rangers possession stats haven't been that good this year overall and even though they swept their western canada trip they were out-corsi'd in those games (well, maybe the Edmonton game was even). The issue I see is really that the Rangers aren't/weren't shooting all that much at times and if they were up by a goal or more in the third they'd sit back and not really press the forecheck or try to get shots.

On the other hand the team isn't that different from last years team, they're finally healthy for the most part, and we've heard that the coaching staff is focused on keeping the puck and getting pressure and shots on goal etc so I dont' think it's a game plan thing, I think it's just the team trying to find its way at the moment

Keep in mind they haven't been fully healthy all season, and on the western Canada trip, they dialed it far back when they had the lead. Part of it probably had to do with nerves and blowing leads the prior weeks

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Yes, the team is trying to find its way. The first thing the Rangers have to be is responsible defensively. They had been doing it for long stretches of games recently but were seeing sudden and brief defensive lapses that were invariably leading to GA. Lately, those lapses are becoming fewer. Once the system in the D zone is solid, it's designed in a way for the team to turn it into puck possession. They're focusing on the D zone first right now, which is totally fine. The possession will come.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Possession stats flatlining? Did you watch last nights game? We flat out dominated Carolina.

It is nice to see that we are winning at home. We couldn't seem to do that consistently last year.

Yeah that's great that we dominated Carolina in possession, what about EDM? Or CGY? or VAN? or PIT?

Fact is that we have not been winning the possession battle this season like a year ago. Sure we had a good weekend against the same ****** team. But we've gotten destroyed by really good teams, and have not performed well against mediocre ones.

I'm just asking whether y'all think this is something to worry about, or if you think that it improves as the season goes on and we get more games with a healthy roster. I'm worried that we're riding a league high evstrgh sh% and poor possession to our current record. But I'm not sure exactly how well the numbers reflect the team and how we should expect this team to play given a healthy roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad