Confirmed with Link: Canes officially match l'offre hostile from MTL for Aho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I still don’t think Tt left money on the table. He was rfa as well.

He was coming off a 64 point season and was playing at nearly a PPG clip well into the season when he signed the contract.

If he had waited until after the season to negotiate, he'd had a 76-point regular season under his belt, with proof that he didn't have to be chained to Aho's wing to be productive, and a solid playoff run, and has leveled up defensively as well. He's at least a $6.5 to $7 million player if we're negotiating his contract right now. Probably more than that, JMO.

I won't deny he has a second banana vibe about him, but even with that I have no doubt the Canes are getting the better of that contract.

To put it in perspective, he's making $600K less than Jordan Staal - on a contract Staal signed SEVEN YEARS AGO. And for all his defensive prowess, Staal has never come close to having a 60 point season, much less 70. (and I love Staal, this is not a bash on him)

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
He signed a contract with another team. We can take educated guesses on what his real reasons were but at the end of the day he clearly was 100% ok with pulling the pin off the grenade and tossing it in the middle of this mess - and completely accepting of whatever outcome.

Bleed, you and I will have to agree to disagree about this. The team had been saying for almost 2 months that they would match any offer sheet. When it came it that reasonable, it was the opposite of a grenade; it was a soap bubble. There's no doubt in my mind that Johansson played Bergevin on this as well as no doubt that Bergevin was 99% sure he wasn't going to get Aho with that offer.

And from what I'm told that's an item they want to bring up in the next cba again. I'd definitely be in favor

I think there will be incremental changes in contract length and concurrent RFA status length. If I were in charge I'd do a 6 year/5 year contract length and reduce the RFA status to 6 years.

As much as they hated the signing bonuses the first two seasons, I'd be willing to bet they're more upset that they now have Aho, TT and Pesce all coming due the same summer.

I've mentioned this multiple times. I think this is the thing that GMBC is kicking themselves over. Had they been a little more flexible, earlier in the process, they likely end up with a 6 year/$8.75 million per year deal.

With the 5 year precedent set, we're not in that bad of a position with Svech next year. a 5 or 6 year deal would be fine.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Well, all I know are facts, and the fact is that Sebastian Aho signed a contract with the MIGHTY MONTREAL CANADIENS and NOT the lowly Carolina Hurricanes and we should not, SHOULD NOT!!!!! be feel happy, relieved, satisfied or any other emotion that is not dread about our franchise player leaving as soon as the 5 years is up, or pity at him for having to play in such an awful non-hockey place instead of beauteous 24 Cups having mecca of hockey that is Montreal.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Well, all I know are facts, and the fact is that Sebastian Aho signed a contract with the MIGHTY MONTREAL CANADIENS and NOT the lowly Carolina Hurricanes and we should not, SHOULD NOT!!!!! be feel happy, relieved, satisfied or any other emotion that is not dread about our franchise player leaving as soon as the 5 years is up, or pity at him for having to play in such an awful non-hockey place instead of beauteous 24 Cups having mecca of hockey that is Montreal.

Non, mon ami. Sebastian Aho signed a notification (CBA Exhibit 6) with the Montreal Canadiens, that he will on a near-future date sign the attached relatively affordable, relatively long-term contract with the Montreal Canadiens if he won't sign the said contract with the Carolina Hurricanes.

Then he promptly signed the said contract with the Carolina Hurricanes.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Non, mon ami. Sebastian Aho signed a notification (CBA Exhibit 6) with the Montreal Canadiens, that he will on a near-future date sign the attached relatively affordable, relatively long-term contract with the Montreal Canadiens if he won't sign the said contract with the Carolina Hurricanes.

Then he promptly signed the said contract with the Carolina Hurricanes.

This is really gonna disappoint some dude on the trade board bro.

You wanna break the news to him, or should I?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
i'm loving that dude's mental gymkata.

'aho's agent said he wants to be in montreal. IT IS GOSPEL!'

'that aho statement where he says we wanted to be in raleigh? pfft, clearly made up by his lying agent, who also posts aho's social media content.'

I just ignore the MB thread all together now. No sense to it.

If you do want to make a point though, just play the interview from Aho's agent where he says: "We all know most offer sheets don't work". He and Aho clearly knew that it would be matched going in.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
These idiots really actually now believe they stuck it to us by preventing us from negotiating an 8 year deal.

As if that was ever going to be on the table.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
While they are at it, they can do one of Svech in a MTL jersey for me?
So who wants to do me a solid and photoshop Aho in a Montreal jersey? I need a new avatar.
If you guys don’t mind craptastic quality, here you go:

6F83E136-02C0-42F4-A928-570AE8AD1172.jpeg
0474EF21-CE36-404A-8BAB-6D7587AF4063.jpeg

Reactions: Unsustainable
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad