Canes Keeper League Season 6 (finally)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
That's fair; I'm just worried about the advantage it gives to centers who can also be played in wing spots on Yahoo.

Definitely understand that. Yahoo doesn't do the best job at all of keeping spots up to date. Though in limiting the number of keepers the number of players like that who would be worth keeping around are probably somewhere around half a dozen now.

What about a negative points category for face-off losses?

Possibility. I think we tried that the first year and still ended up with Brind'Amour as fantasy god because of his ridiculous FO% and numbers. But that's always a way to balance.

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
What about a negative points category for face-off losses?

This rule would defeat the purpose of adding a bit of a tie-breaker for centers (who I think are widely agreed upon as a bit more valuable than wingers). Centers who suck at faceoffs would suddenly be less valuable, which I don't think is the case irl.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Ok, I was just doing the prospect stuff, but realized that it's a worthless exercise if we increase the number of games to 200/100. So, unless someone thinks it's necessary, I'm going to stop now.

(remember when people were pissed that the Hurricanes passed on Angelo Esposito? Good times...)

Last edited:

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
This rule would defeat the purpose of adding a bit of a tie-breaker for centers (who I think are widely agreed upon as a bit more valuable than wingers). Centers who suck at faceoffs would suddenly be less valuable, which I don't think is the case irl.
It wouldn't have to be a negative value that is equal to the positive value, though. For instance, face-off wins could be .01 while faceoff losses could be -.005 or something like that. So centers would still have that tie-breaker.

With just faceoff wins and not losses counted, you are inflating the value of players who take a lot of faceoffs even though they may not be good at them. For instance, Eric Staal was regularly top 10-15 in the league in faceoff wins even when he was terrible at faceoffs, just because he would take so many. Having losses counted gives more value to players who are actually good at faceoffs.

Last edited:

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
With the first overall pick in the 2013 prospect draft, Team White Box selects, from the Edmonton Oilers, Nail Yakupov.

Spartans are giddy to select Alex Galchenyuk

Team White Box - NAIL YAKUPOV
Hobo's Spartans- Alex Galchenyuk
DaveG's Drunks
Carolina BBQs
The Hockeyroos
Gotta Catch Em Staal
Smithfield Hayseeds
Raleigh Llama
Juggernaut
The Dude
Tanabe #1 Overall
Bettman's HC Caracas

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Team White Box - Nail Yakupov
DaveG's Drunks - Mikhail Grigorenko
Carolina BBQs
The Hockeyroos
Gotta Catch Em Staal
Smithfield Hayseeds
Raleigh Llama
Juggernaut
The Dude
Tanabe #1 Overall
Bettman's HC Caracas

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Jaroslav Halak
Mark Streit
Dustin Byfuglien
Cam Fowler (Exempt)
Taylor Hall (Exempt)
Scott Hartnell
Marian Hossa
Milan Lucic
Dion Phaneuf
John Tavares (Exempt?)
Henrik Zetterberg

If Tavares is not exempt, I got a decision to make.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Tanabe #1 Overall
Carey Price
Logan Couture (exempt)
Sidney Crosby
Alexander Edler
Oliver Ekman-Larsson (exempt)
Patrik Elias
Patrick Kane
Kris Letang
Rick Nash
Zach Parise

Last edited:

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
Carolina BBQs
The Hockeyroos
Gotta Catch Em Staal
Smithfield Hayseeds
Raleigh Llama
Juggernaut
The Dude
Tanabe #1 Overall
Bettman's HC Caracas

*******. :'(

was hoping everyone on here would believe he was a lazy non-back checking 25 year old.

Caniac4ever

Feb 7, 2008
Carolina BBQs - Filip Forsberg
The Hockeyroos
Gotta Catch Em Staal
Smithfield Hayseeds
Raleigh Llama
Juggernaut
The Dude
Tanabe #1 Overall
Bettman's HC Caracas

Aussie Hurricane

Dec 10, 2010
Melbourne, VIC
The Hockeyroos - Ryan Murray
Gotta Catch Em Staal
Smithfield Hayseeds
Raleigh Llama
Juggernaut
The Dude
Tanabe #1 Overall
Bettman's HC Caracas

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
Gotta Catch Em Staal - Morgan Rielly
Smithfield Hayseeds
Raleigh Llama
Juggernaut
The Dude
Tanabe #1 Overall
Bettman's HC Caracas

Aussie Hurricane

Dec 10, 2010
Melbourne, VIC
The Hockeyroos:

Dan Boyle
Dustin Brown
Drew Doughty
Jordan Eberle (exempt)
Marcus Johansson (exempt)
T.J. Oshie
Bobby Ryan
Michael Ryder
Tyler Seguin (exempt)
Ryan Suter
Stephen Weiss

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The Hockeyroos:
James Reimer (exempt?)
Dan Boyle
Dustin Brown
Drew Doughty
Jordan Eberle (exempt)
Marcus Johansson (exempt)
T.J. Oshie
Bobby Ryan
Michael Ryder
Tyler Seguin (exempt)
Ryan Suter
Stephen Weiss

IIRC Reimer was a signee instead of a prospect draft pick, so he's not eligible for exemption. So go with those 8 skaters?

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
24 years of age, or 3 full NHL seasons (200 games for skaters/100 games for goalies) whichever comes first.

At what annual date or point in the season does the player need to remain 23 in order to be exempt?

And while we're on the subject, why is it that a player who has not yet played 200 games should suddenly become fair game, just because they turned 24? In other words, what problem are we trying to solve with this portion of the rule? I ask because it will be another fact-checking task every season, therefore it's a pain to administrate. Let's make sure that the problem being solved is bigger than the one it will create.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
The Dude:
Pekke Rinne
Steven Stamkos
Shea Weber
David Backes
Brad Richards
Patrice Bergeron
Pavel Datsyuk
Teemu Selanne

John Carlson (exempt)

i agree on the age question.... why the age limit? Defensive & Goalie prospects are going to be almost pointless to draft unless they are close to NHL ready when drafted. For example i am going to lose Ryan McDonagh and Jeff Petry off my prospect/main roster right as they become fulltime players and quality contributers. It also hurts when drafting late bloomers. At least bump it up to 26 to align with the Calder rules.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Gotta Catch Em Staal -Morgan Rielly
Smithfield Hayseeds - Jacob Trouba
Raleigh Llama
Juggernaut
The Dude
Tanabe #1 Overall
Bettman's HC Caracas

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
At what annual date or point in the season does the player need to remain 23 in order to be exempt?

And while we're on the subject, why is it that a player who has not yet played 200 games should suddenly become fair game, just because they turned 24? In other words, what problem are we trying to solve with this portion of the rule? I ask because it will be another fact-checking task every season, therefore it's a pain to administrate. Let's make sure that the problem being solved is bigger than the one it will create.

24 by start of the season IMO. Fairest way to do it.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
24 by start of the season IMO. Fairest way to do it.

The first game of the regular season, regardless of which team is playing that game, then? Or is it some other definition of "start of the season"? Rules need details, commish! ;)

Any thought to the other question?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
First game of the season, though October 1st may make an easier cutoff date and it comes pretty close to the start of the season anyway.

And generally speaking I would say 200 is a pretty good point anyhow. By that point you should have a pretty good idea if a player is worth keeping or not. But you should generally be able to get that with guys who are 24 as well, guys who haven't shown what they're worth by then generally aren't worth using a keeper slot on long term. IE: Jay Harrison may have been a late bloomer, but nobody would use a keeper on him. But maybe have an exemption in on a guy like Dustin Penner or Tyler Bozak who's a late bloomer so they might not even show up as a prospect pick until they're 23. So basically give the GM a full 2-3 seasons after drafting a player if they use it on a late bloomer in the prospect draft?

Of course, if they're a UFA signing (by the GM here, not in real life), doesn't matter anyway, they don't fall under the exemption rules anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad