Confirmed with Link: Canes get Jurko for Pu... kinda

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I hope Bleedgreen's main board take is right that this is an AHL depth move as one/multiple of their forwards are about to go for some NHL talent

Yeah to me if Ferland is being kept then we are saying this is a playoff team. If that is the case, they should be adding a forward today. Hopefully anohter who can score.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I hope Bleedgreen's main board take is right that this is an AHL depth move as one/multiple of their forwards are about to go for some NHL talent

Were the Canes at the contract cap? If not, how close are they?

Pu had an NHL contract, Jurco does not. This could open up a spot for a trade for just a pick and/or a Fox signing.

Edit: per CapFriendly, only 42/50 possible contracts so that's not it.

Reactions: Unsustainable

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Were the Canes at the contract cap? If not, how close are they?

Pu had an NHL contract, Jurco does not. This could open up a spot for a trade for just a pick and/or a Fox signing.

Edit: per CapFriendly, only 42/50 possible contracts so that's not it.

42/50 according to Capgeek so not close on contracts

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This'll be another situation where it looks like Waddell is going to do something else, and logically should, but for whatever reason, the other shoe never drops.

It's the Faulk situation in the off-season all over again.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't get the future considerations part from both sides.

Are we still talking with Florida about another deal? Why not just do Pu for Jurco straight up?

It was already cleared: can't trade AHL contract to an NHL contract straight up. Need to do it this way.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Here's a couple of quotes from Jurco in november explaining his situation, as he was still a free agent at the time and recovering from a 2nd back surgery.

"I would like to play in the AHL, and then come back to the NHL. After my surgery two years ago, I started playing with Detroit right away and I didn't feel ready. That's why I'd rather start in the minors. I don't know which team I'll play for, I'm leaving everything up to my agent. I believe he will help me".

"I'll have time for the KHL later. I'm still a young guy who desires to compete with the best in the world. I'm not ready to go to Russia. I believe I can still play in the NHL."

From this Slovak article:
Tomáš Jurčo: Stále mám na NHL

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Jurco also won a Calder Cup with Grand Rapids. Guess that's good championship experience for that level.

He also scored 33 points in his first 99 games under Mike Babcock, who liked him a lot. Jurco's career went south when Babcock left for Toronto. Blashill never liked him and didn't play him properly. Somehow, Jurco wasn't able to reach his potential in Chicago after he was dealt and that kinda ruined his career. Still not sure exactly why it didn't work out for him in the NHL. His start was great and he has all the tools to be a top6 player in the NHL. Skillwise he's better than most Canes forwards. I hope he gets another shot at NHL level...whether that's with the Canes or elsewhere. Great player.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Here's a couple of quotes from Jurco in november explaining his situation, as he was still a free agent at the time and recovering from a 2nd back surgery.

"I would like to play in the AHL, and then come back to the NHL. After my surgery two years ago, I started playing with Detroit right away and I didn't feel ready. That's why I'd rather start in the minors. I don't know which team I'll play for, I'm leaving everything up to my agent. I believe he will help me".

"I'll have time for the KHL later. I'm still a young guy who desires to compete with the best in the world. I'm not ready to go to Russia. I believe I can still play in the NHL."

From this Slovak article:
Tomáš Jurčo: Stále mám na NHL

Thanks. His back issues may very well be the reason why his level dropped after a good start to his NHL career. If I remember right they wanted him to be more physical in Detroit...he probably couldn't due to his back.

Certainly a good guy with lots of upside. Good to have in the organization and, like I already mentioned, definitely deserving of another chance at NHL level.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Thanks. His back issues may very well be the reason why his level dropped after a good start to his NHL career. If I remember right they wanted him to be more physical in Detroit...he probably couldn't due to his back.

Certainly a good guy with lots of upside. Good to have in the organization and, like I already mentioned, definitely deserving of another chance at NHL level.

I wouldn't say that he has 'lots of upside', but I know many Blackhawks fans would have liked him re-signed the past offseason. If healthy, he can still be a servicable NHL player. Nice hands, pretty good size and a wicked wrist shot. He's defenitely better than Marko Dano imo, just to draw a slovak comparison. And those quotes are likable too. I hope his back is sorted out and that he makes it back to the NHL next season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I wouldn't say that he has 'lots of upside', but I know many Blackhawks fans would have liked him re-signed the past offseason. If healthy, he can still be a servicable NHL player. Nice hands, pretty good size and a wicked wrist shot. He's defenitely better than Marko Dano imo, just to draw a slovak comparison. And those quotes are likable too. I hope his back is sorted out and that he makes it back to the NHL next season.

His hands aren't just good...they're exceptional. His backhand shots are crazy. I always liked the guy a lot when he was with Detroit. Didn't see much of him when he was with Chicago but after his AHL-career and his first two NHL-seasons I had zero doubts that he's gonna be a legit top6 forward. He has all the tools. Youtube is full of him showcasing his sick skills. He also scored numerous highlight goals and assists and it wasn't luck. He did the same moves repeatedly both in the AHL and NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad