Confirmed with Link: Canes claim Martin Frk

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Completely different player than Nesty although the two have had very similar development paths with the Wings. Frk's best feature is his shot, its a rocket and he gets it on net. If everything works out this year for you he will be a 3rd liner and help out your 2nd PP. He needs to work on his speed and IQ. But at least he has a base to start with.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
was hoping ottawa would get a chance at claiming him, great claim by you guys

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So, I thought we were at 49 of the 50 contract limit before today...how do we fit both Frk and the new D under the 50 contracts?

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
He was on the best line in the CHL in 12/13 when the Mooseheads won the Memorial Cup along with Drouin and MacKinnon. Kinda got buried in Detroit's system but he had a decent year in the AHL last year I think. Has a solid shot but not the best vision so he's more of a finisher, not that that's a bad thing as every team needs that skillset. His lateral movement could use some work, his top speed isn't bad though. Seems like a solid pickup for you guys and low risk if nothing else. Best of luck!

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
Stop taking our players! Damn you, Bill Peters! Just kidding, of course. Most on the Wings board are mad about losing Frk. You guys are getting a motivated young winger with a bomb of a shot. Had a good season in Grand Rapids last year.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'll be interested to see where he slots with Peters. Things seemed fairly well set with what we rolled the last pre-season game: Skinner-Rask-PDG, Nordstrom-Staal-Stempniak, Aho-Lindholm-TT, Stalberg-Wallmark-Bickell.

Mind you I can easily see us using Bickell as the #13, and rolling Frk in to that spot, but that seems like a waste.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I haven't seen anything from Bickell or Stalberg this preseason.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'll be interested to see where he slots with Peters. Things seemed fairly well set with what we rolled the last pre-season game: Skinner-Rask-PDG, Nordstrom-Staal-Stempniak, Aho-Lindholm-TT, Stalberg-Wallmark-Bickell.

Mind you I can easily see us using Bickell as the #13, and rolling Frk in to that spot, but that seems like a waste.

Maybe Nesty isn't quite ready yet? I only saw 1 game, but he looked rather sluggish to me during that game and he had the no contact on for the first part of training camp.

Personally, I'd like to see Wallmark get a year in the AHL playing top minutes, PP and PK.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

Well, I personally don't see Wallmark making the squad any more than I see Foegele making the squad. I think in both cases, the organization is trying to get a feel for them because there are some important decisions regarding their futures on the horizon. If we choose not to sign Foegele after this, I suppose he starts shopping for overage junior squads. I don't know if his club is holding that out as an option or what. I truly don't know the reason Wallmark still remains with the big club, but I doubt he weighs in on opening night. Same for Bickell. I think he's easily the 13th forward of this group if not waived.

As for it being a waste for Frk to play on the 4th line, I think I feel differently. It's never a bad idea to start a player on the 4th line and then let them determine where it goes from there. We did that with Nordstrom and Nestrasil as well. With Frk, I think there's a solid chance that when he draws into the lineup he's going to be on the PP in some capacity. Having him take 4th line shifts with perhaps McClement and Stalberg may not sound like the best opportunity, but those two guys are NHL guys. They've both had several seasons where they scored points in the NHL, admittedly long ago. I don't think those two are *so* bad that it would make a player that didn't belong there on skill entirely irrelevant. If he goes out and plays strong, perhaps he swaps places with someone that struggles in the early going. The Nordstrom - Staal - Nestrasil line in particular is unlikely to get a ton of time to rekindle in my opinion. I think there are wiser uses for Staal's abilities and with an improved roster, we might see them decide to chase more offense.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Who else put in claims? Where do you get to see that?

I don't think you can know for sure as I don't think they release that. McKenzie tweeted that there were 3 teams that put in waiver claims, but that's it. We know for sure it wasn't any team that finished 19-30 in the standings, as they would have gotten him over Carolina as the priority was simply last years standings. After that, it's a guess. Some speculate Nashville, as they only had 22 on their roster right now and Florida, due to Huberdeau's injury, but it was only that, speculation.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Who else put in claims? Where do you get to see that?

I could think those were Colorado and Tampa Bay to re-unite him either with MacKinnon or Drouin.

He was carried by them and hasn't get things going since with other players.

Colorado has roster spots open and Tampa could have need a temporary replacement for Kucherov sitting out and Callahan injured.

Last season, Frk played 67 games for Grand Rapids in AHL, scoring 27+17=44 points. 11+6=17 points were on the power-play (0.25 PP-points/game). He was the best power-play player after playmaker Andy Miele who had 2+19=21 points. Frk was kind of his trigger-man.

At even strength, he got 16+11 = 27 points in 67 games, 0.40 points per game.

If I compare these figures with players at Charlotte, maybe you get a better picture?

Derek Ryan, 70 games, 7+14 =21 points on PP (0.30 PP-points per game)
Andrew Miller, 55 games, 6+12 = 18 points on PP (0.33 PP-points per game)
T.J. Hensick, 46 games, 2+14 = 16 points on PP (0.35 PP-points per game)
Brock McGinn, 48 games, 7+5 = 12 points on PP (0.25 PP-points per game) nearest comparable ???
Martin Frk, 67 games, 11+6 = 17 points on PP (0.25 PP points pe game)

Justin Shugg, 59 games, 5+9 = 14 points on PP (0.24 PP-points per game)
Phil DiGiuseppe, 25 games, 4+2 = 6 points on PP (0.24 PP-points per game) another comparable?
Zach Boychuk, 56 games, 6+7 = 13 points on PP (0.23 PP-points per game)
Sergei Tolchinsky, 72 games, 4+10 = 14 points on PP (0.19 PP-points per game)

Non-Power-Play scoring:
Derek Ryan, 70 games, 16+18 = 34 points (0.49 per game)
Andrew Miller, 55 games, 12+15 = 27 (0.49 per game)
Phil DiGiuseppe, 25 games, 4+8 = 12 (0.48 per game)
Brock McGinn, 48 games, 12+11 = 23 (0.48 per game)
Martin Frk, 67 games, 16+11 = 27 (0.40 per game)

Blair Jones, 49 games, 10+8 = 18 (0.37 per game)
Justin Shugg, 59 games, 8+13 = 21 (0.36 per game)
Patrick Brown, 70 games, 13+12 = 25 (0.36 per game)
Brody Sutter, 70 games, 12+11 = 23 (0.33 per game)
Sergei Tolchinsky 72 games, 10+12 = 22 (0.31 per game)

Pure statistically speaking, he was a little bit lesser level (at even strenght) than his nearest comparables McGinn and DiGiuseppe.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Will he play top12 or is he press-box destined to start the season?

Victor Stalberg is a little banged up. I'm not sure if he'll be good to go for the game, but there's certainly a chance he could step right in. I'm not sure Bickell is going to play for us. At this point, anything more is a guess. Adding 3 players that didn't play for us in preseason has made basically all aspects of what we're going to do with our 4th line and 3rd pairing total guesswork.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad