GDT: CANES @ CAPS

What is propelling the win streak? Grit, Grind or TVR?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I think there's a real chance Foegele gets some Calder votes when it's all said and done. The kid is all over the place making things happen. 6 points in 3 games. After 3 points in 2 games in his NHL stint last year. Along with leading the AHL in nonPP goals last year.

Looking back at the "Predict the goals" thread, Foegele wasn't even on the list. He looks like a 50+ point player out there.

I think Foegele could absolutely play with Aho/TT, but he's such a catalyst, I think you stick a Ferland or Zykov there because they need someone else to help them.

Zykov/Aho/TT
Ferland/Staal/Williams
Foegele/Necas/Svechnikov
Martinook/Wallmark/McGinn
PDG

Slavin-Hamilton
CDH-Faulk
Fleury-Pesce
TVR

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I think there's a real chance Foegele gets some Calder votes when it's all said and done. The kid is all over the place making things happen. 6 points in 3 games. After 3 points in 2 games in his NHL stint last year. Along with leading the AHL in nonPP goals last year.

Looking back at the "Predict the goals" thread, Foegele wasn't even on the list. He looks like a 50+ point player out there.

I think Foegele could absolutely play with Aho/TT, but he's such a catalyst, I think you stick a Ferland or Zykov there because they need someone else to help them.

Zykov/Aho/TT
Ferland/Staal/Williams
Foegele/Necas/Svechnikov
Martinook/Wallmark/McGinn
PDG

Slavin-Hamilton
CDH-Faulk
Fleury-Pesce
TVR

Agreed. We have 4 guys that I think could have a legit shot at finishing in the top 10 of Calder voting.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I think a lot of people also forget that he had a 1.22 points per game last year in the AHL, which was the highest in the league for players playing 40+ games. I’m pretty certain he gets claimed if he gets sent down.

I’d like to give him another regular season look at the 4th line C before losing him on waivers for nothing. If he does fail, try and trade him for a late draft pick for asset management.

I don't think there's any question Wallmark makes the opening day roster. His shortcoming, is that he's a bit small for his skillset, and that's something that sometimes doesn't translate from AHL to NHL scoring wise. But I think he'll get his shot with the Canes.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
tenor.gif
Thanks....I woke up my wife laughing so hard at that.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm going to continue to tell myself that it's still only the preseason. I will also maintain that stance when they inevitably lose on Sunday.

I mean, it's a chance to perfect the preseason in front of what should be the biggest crowd thus far (yay free games!), and I'll be there. Oh, and its an afternoon game. No way they win it.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I'm going to continue to tell myself that it's still only the preseason. I will also maintain that stance when they inevitably lose on Sunday.

I mean, it's a chance to perfect the preseason in front of what should be the biggest crowd thus far (yay free games!), and I'll be there. Oh, and its an afternoon game. No way they win it.
Yes. Remember Colorado.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Geez, wish we had D. Ryan right about now.

Maybe we do.

Because, as we know, Derek Ryan can actually occupy all points in space-time at once, since he learned how to astral project himself while playing in some weird gypsy hockey league in the late 1960s. (It has been widely speculated although never proven that Ryan scored 4 goals against the Baltimore Clippers in 1969 while simulataneously playing bongos in Santana's legendary performance of "Soul Sacrifice" at Woodstock.)

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...n-unsustainable-scoring-pace-edition.2164863/

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

This board has talked about letting guys marinate in the AHL for years. Clearly, it depends on the player though as the NHL has changed over the years where young, fast, high skilled guys can make an impact right away, but as we discuss prospects like Roy (2015 draft), Kuokkanen (2016 draft), Saarela (2015 draft), Gauthier (2016 draft), etc....it's fair to point out that Zykov (2013 draft), Foegele (2014 draft), and Wallmark (2014 draft) are all just about to hit the NHL full time a full 4-5 years post draft. This time last year, Zykov was coming off a 34 point AHL season, Foegele was just starting his first AHL season, and Wallmark had just completed his first AHL season with 46 points.

Not all of those aforementioned guys from the 2015-2017 draft will make it, in fact, there's no guarantee that Zykov and Wallmark will remain full time NHLrs, but it's just fine that they still have work to do to become an NHL player. Nice to have a pipeline AND the ability to let them develop in the AHL.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
No we’re not, if that happens then we have a 100 point player and our problems are solved. It’s not like we don’t have the cap room.

Yeah I’m happier to pay the 100 point player $10+ million than get a 60-70 point player locked up for ~$7 million.

Obviously the ideal scenario is locking Aho up for $7 million and then he becomes the 100 point player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad