Post-Game Talk: Canes @ Caps 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I never feel good about playing Philly and Carolina. They always seem to play us close regardless of wins/losses.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Carolina play us "close"... My memory remembers... more like spanking us proper.

And then the next day Karl admits we can't get up for them.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Still not happy with the defense pairings and how they're deployed post-Carlson injury. It's really no surprise that the team has looked worse over the past few games after breaking up their two good pairings that helped lead to some dominating victories and looked better in the third period against Dallas when they re-united 9-2 and 44-88. Now would be a perfect opportunity to test Nate Schmidt in the top 4, for instance, but for some reason he hasn't earned the trust of the staff despite being one of the best defensive D on the team. Alzner-Niskanen is an uninspiring top pair that stagnates offense and lacks cohesion with breakouts and I don't really understand why Trotz is going back to it other than comfort and overvaluing Alzner.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Our lines from this AM's skate. Please don't murder us too badly tonight. Please?

#53 Skinner (A) - #49 Rask - #8 Rattie
#20 Aho - #11 Staal (A) - #16 Lindholm
#23 McGinn - #33 Ryan - #21 Stempniak
#42 Nordstrom - #86 Teravainen - #25 Stalberg

#74 Slavin - #22 Pesce
#65 Hainsey - #27 Faulk (A)
#5 Hanifin - #26 Tennyson

#30 Ward
#32 Leighton

Injuries & Scratches
#6 Dahlbeck - Healthy
#7 Murphy - Healthy
#18 McClement - Healthy
#29 Bickell - Day-to-Day (Multiple Sclerosis)
#31 Lack - Day-to-Day (Concussion)

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Canes used to bore me half to death but now they have a lot of young hungry players that really push the pace. Good on them!

Oh and I love Stormy. :heart:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Teravainen on the 4th line?

Pretty sure he's over 2PPG against us this season.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Under this coach the Canes have been a pretty good Corsi team...now...

The results on the scoreboard does not match the analytics in this case. I've been thinking about them and whether they are lack finish (ie Bruins) or just trying to game the system so to speak...I think Dallas Eakins when I say "Game the System"...try to look good on analytics.

The reason I am writing this is because I took it upon myself to personally decipher a coded message by Sidney Crosby in an interview post game of their recent 7-1 win in Raleigh.

To paraphrase (you HAVE TO LISTEN to what he said exactly and how he said it) he said "they just like to throw pucks to the net at every opportunity" he went on to say "we see some other teams do that"

Again..I read it is Crosby saying they have a "prayer offense"....sorta like Tampa under Guy Boucher. Throw stuff at the net from behind the goal line, crossing the blue line or wherever. It was almost that Crosby thought it was a cheese offensive system.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Teravainen on the 4th line?

Pretty sure he's over 2PPG against us this season.

Teravainen on the 4th line is a function of a couple things

1) Jay McClement (the usual 4th line center) being a scratch;

2) Teravainen being in Peters' doghouse after the Pittsburgh game (he was benched for most, if not all, of the 3rd period and was a healthy scratch in the Columbus game);

3) Peters wanting to put McGinn and Ryan together given they had some chemistry together in the 'A, I believe.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Under this coach the Canes have been a pretty good Corsi team...now...

The results on the scoreboard does not match the analytics in this case. I've been thinking about them and whether they are lack finish (ie Bruins) or just trying to game the system so to speak...I think Dallas Eakins when I say "Game the System"...try to look good on analytics.

The reason I am writing this is because I took it upon myself to personally decipher a coded message by Sidney Crosby in an interview post game of their recent 7-1 win in Raleigh.

To paraphrase (you HAVE TO LISTEN to what he said exactly and how he said it) he said "they just like to throw pucks to the net at every opportunity" he went on to say "we see some other teams do that"

Again..I read it is Crosby saying they have a "prayer offense"....sorta like Tampa under Guy Boucher. Throw stuff at the net from behind the goal line, crossing the blue line or wherever. It was almost that Crosby thought it was a cheese offensive system.

Their expected goals % in 7th in the NHL (which takes into account shot quality), so I don't really buy that argument.

Their problem is goaltending (.900 on the season in all-situations). At even strength, their goaltending is only better than St. Louis's. Using corsica.hockey's Goals Save Above Average stat, Carolina's goaltenders have allowed ~14 more goals than a league average goalie would have (and this also takes into account shot quality against).

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Gruby will start more games than last year. I'm sure you can add the 1st game after the break against Isles. You need to give Holtby a day off after ASG

Btw, Gruby's save against Dallas, not in the top 10 of the week. I saw the video on the NHL, there are maybe just 1 or 2, better than his stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad