GDT: Canes @ Caps - 1/2/14 7:00PM

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Orlov was open and it would've been a perfect pass with just a little bit more velocity or a little more reach/effort from Orlov.

Athletes do not think their way through their every movement. Much of it is unconscious reaction in a flow state or zone. And when that's the case you have to take a little bit of bad with the good, such as little flubs on attempts at great plays.

On fresh ice, that play may work perfectly. I think Orlov is more to blame for the turnover than anyone else on the ice, if we must blame someone.

Good post. The growing pains of a young defenseman. Every player has their moment and had he connected, the Caps would have won. He's been a beast overall.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
IDK.........if there is fault I place it more on Ovechkin. I don't think Orlov was THAT open. He must not have been because look what happened. LOL I didn't see Orlov try anything fancy.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
pff. Not sure what these stills prove? Check your PVR. Orlov was not expecting a behind the back pass into the middle of the ice. He stutter stepped and went for it when he realized he was the only one close....

Agreed it looks like Ovi's pass put Orlov in a tough spot. Look at the Carolina box, they were loaded to stop that exact pass. Excellent defensive position to goad Orlov into going to try to bail out his fellow countrymen.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
:laugh:

The greatest passes are unexpected. Seriously, did you ****ing even think before you posted?

Some of the worst passes are the unexpected ones that put teammates in bad spots, spring odd mans which lead to game winning goals. Against.

I thinked.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Well at least Ovechkin was on the right side of the ice and met all handedness qualifications. Orlov also met handedness qualifications by being on the left.

That's all that really matters so I'm okay with another loss as long as everyone was on their handy side.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Obviously it was just one game and the Caps didn't get 2 points out of it but I was very encouraged by their 5v5 possession play last night. For a team that has been a 47/53 5v5 possession loser over the course of the season as a whole so far to win that battle 59/41 is definitely a positive.

Now if they can keep that much better 5v5 play up and figure out a way to stop giving up goals right after scoring themselves I could see a steady upward trend in their fortunes in their future...

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
Obviously it was just one game and the Caps didn't get 2 points out of it but I was very encouraged by their 5v5 possession play last night.

Was it the line changes or the Canes, that let us possess the puck that much better than usual? I'm skeptical anyway, of most anything positive they do this year, so I hope we get a chance to see those lines again Saturday..

I just wish Wilson knew who to pay, to get a couple shifts on a better line..

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Was it the line changes or the Canes, that let us possess the puck that much better than usual?

I don't know. Carolina is currently the 14th best 5v5 road possession team in the league at 49.5% and they are a 50.3% 5v5 possession team overall so they are ok usually.

No enough information IMO to make a determination. I guess we'll have to wait and see if they can keep this up or not because one game really doesn't mean much overall.

Liberati0n*

I don't know. Carolina is currently the 14th best 5v5 road possession team in the league at 49.5% and they are a 50.3% 5v5 possession team overall so they are ok usually.

No enough information IMO to make a determination. I guess we'll have to wait and see if they can keep this up or not because one game really doesn't mean much overall.

Carolina is 25th in the league in Fenwick (47.3%) and 21st in Corsi (48.7%) in close situations. (The Capitals are 26th in both categories, 47% and 47.6%.)

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Carolina is 25th in the league in Fenwick (47.3%) and 21st in Corsi (48.7%) in close situations. (The Capitals are 26th in both categories, 47% and 47.6%.)

Now break that down by home and away please as that appears to make s difference as there are only 10 teams at or above 50% 5v5 corsi on the road and only 8 teams below 50% 5v5 corsi at home, one of which is the Caps, and extra skater doesn't seem to do that for me.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Oates calling out the players, especially the veterans:

''Just mistakes. Mistakes. The guys that are on the ice are veteran guys,'' Oates said. ''We talked about the things we talked about this morning, the icing. Stupid icings when we don't have to. We took a too many men penalty when we don't have to. You know, one of the goals - (John) Erskine went in the zone and no one covered for him. That's mistakes by veteran guys. They know better.''

Vets aren't doing what you tell them, eh? Everything would be OK if players would just stick to The System, right? This always ends well. Good luck.

Signed,

Ron Wilson, Bruce Cassidy, Glen Hanlon, Bruce Boudreau, Dale Hunter

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I just wish Wilson knew who to pay, to get a couple shifts on a better line..

He must be slow on the uptake. You just tell your agent to make public demand for trade. Seemed to work for Orlov and Erat anyway. (Poor Neuwirth must be telling his agent, 'Wait a minute, you said that would work...')

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Oates calling out the players, especially the veterans:

''Just mistakes. Mistakes. The guys that are on the ice are veteran guys,'' Oates said. ''We talked about the things we talked about this morning, the icing. Stupid icings when we don't have to. We took a too many men penalty when we don't have to. You know, one of the goals - (John) Erskine went in the zone and no one covered for him. That's mistakes by veteran guys. They know better.''

Vets aren't doing what you tell them, eh? Everything would be OK if players would just stick to The System, right? This always ends well. Good luck.

Signed,

Ron Wilson, Bruce Cassidy, Glen Hanlon, Bruce Boudreau, Dale Hunter

I'd have to look at the Erskine play again but if IIRC Erat was on the ice. Center covers the pointman?

Maybe put players in their proper positions?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
When the owner and GM are both complacent and on record downplaying the significance of playoff success and they hire a players' coach and two former ex-Caps it's not a ****ing shocker the players are lazy with no sense of urgency.

They're on tenure from sell outs.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
I am a STH. I am definitely out if GMGM is back next year.

I'm not sure who's approach to team ownership is worse, Dan Snyder or Ted? Yes, Really.

So if we make the eastern final or win the Stanley Cup are you still out?

Sport is so random. One minute you're up and the next down. Plus, lots happens in the playoffs so it's not over until it's over.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Vets aren't doing what you tell them, eh?

You can't fix stupid.

When the owner and GM are both complacent and on record downplaying the significance of playoff success and they hire a players' coach and two former ex-Caps it's not a ****ing shocker the players are lazy with no sense of urgency.

I mean, all this. It starts with failure from the owner and goes throughout the org. This team needs a new GM to fix the roster and a veteran coach (I'd take Laviolette in a second). Ted doesn't give a **** though so... whatever.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Considering the Wizards, and where the Caps would be w/o AO, Ted is right there with Dan, he's just a much nicer human being.

I believe the Wizards are 1 game under .500. That is a long way from 3-13.

I understand that many want to run down Leonsis but to equate the state of the Caps to that of the Redskins is absurd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad