GDT: Canes @ Caps - 1/2/14 7:00PM

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
We get out shot, but squeak out with 2 points via shootout.

That 2nd line looks terrible. I hope I'm wrong.

2nd line drinking game...drink anytime...
1) MoJo turns the puck over
2) Nick has no one to pass to
3) Brouwer hits someone and has no impact on play (But I'm trying REALLY HARD guys!)

Liberati0n*

I don't know what the average save percentage is in the OHL (or the ECHL I guess), but Grubauer's stats at every level are very underwhelming. Maybe that doesn't mean much, but it's hard to ignore. I think at some point he's going to relax a little and have a terrible game or two, and we should remember all the mediocre goalies who've had nice hot streaks. Hopefully Holtby is handling this whole thing well and will play well when he gets back in.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles

3) Brouwer hits someone and has no impact on play

I agree. On paper, that's a weird looking line. I wish they would give 43 a few shifts on 2nd line, just so we can get a few glimpses of how he plays when the expectation is offense and scoring, not putting opponent through the glass.

That said, yay for change. We are not setting world on fire. And 8 might get untracked with Grabo at center, and with a greater scoring threat on other wing (at least compared to MJ90).

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
16-84-8 I hope sticks for a while. That line could do a lot of damage. Three guys who can put the puck in the back of the net.

The new 2nd line, honestly I'd rather Ward be there than MoJo. Either that or I hope Oates said, you have to shoot to MoJo. Not that he'd score anyway.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia

3) Brouwer hits someone and has no impact on play (But I'm trying REALLY HARD guys!)

You'll do irrevertable damage to yourself before the third period.....

Hope they can pull this one out. Interested to see how this first line works.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I don't know what the average save percentage is in the OHL (or the ECHL I guess), but Grubauer's stats at every level are very underwhelming. Maybe that doesn't mean much, but it's hard to ignore. I think at some point he's going to relax a little and have a terrible game or two, and we should remember all the mediocre goalies who've had nice hot streaks. Hopefully Holtby is handling this whole thing well and will play well when he gets back in.

I know generally that people believe that due to a better defensive game, a goalie's save percentage will go up in the NHL as compared to the AHL.

On the roster: Last season in each stop

Holtby:
WHL - 2.62 | .910
ECHL - 2.95 | .911
AHL - 2.61 | .906
12-13 NHL - 2.58 | .920

Neuvirth:
OHL - 3.12 | .911
ECHL - 2.28 | .918
AHL - 2.24 | .919
12-13 NHL - 2.74 | .910

Grubauer
OHL - 3.62 | .903
ECHL - 2.30 | .912
AHL - 2.25 | .919
13-14 NHL - 2.02 |.938

Burakovsky95*

This should have been Holtby's start. Kinda getting a little too long for my liking now.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
It's strange how long Holtby is sitting. It's not like he's asked for a trade...publicly. Wonder what is going on behind the scenes between staff and goalies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Add "touches puck in scoring area and can't get a decent shot on net" to that and we'll all be dead from alcohol poisoning by 2nd intermission.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005

Also add " A Swede declines a clearcut opportunity to take shot on goal" and people will be plastered quickly. But at least they can ease their frustration.

Burakovsky95*

Its pretty simple.

Holtby = playing like ****

Grubauer = Not playing like ****

Yea but normally when he plays like **** we let him get out of his funk. I understand Grubauer is playing like a stud but 9 out of 12?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Also add " A Swede declines a clearcut opportunity to take shot on goal" and people will be plastered quickly. But at least they can ease their frustration.

Yeah it will be interesting to see how many shots that line generates. :laugh:

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Its pretty simple.

Holtby = playing like ****

Grubauer = Not playing like ****

I agree Holtby was not playing very well. I was also very underwhelmed by the two goals Grubauer gave up last game. His positioning and timing left a lot to be desired. I felt like he overplayed both goals.

Think we could get the Avalanche on the phone? Holtby and Neuvy for Varlamov?

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

One of those OHL seasons he had mono.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I agree Holtby was not playing very well. I was also very underwhelmed by the two goals Grubauer gave up last game. His positioning and timing left a lot to be desired. I felt like he overplayed both goals.

Think we could get the Avalanche on the phone? Holtby and Neuvy for Varlarmov?

Grubauer has been giving up goals that would be called "soft" if they were allowed by Holtby simply because of difference in expectations. However, Holtby has allowed more of them per game recently, including some really bad/lazy softies, so he sits until his bad habits are worked out, imo.

This is all assuming there's some kind of reasonable plan. We're not so sure that's taking place with some of the decisions Oates and pals have made.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Grubauer has been giving up goals that would be called "soft" if they were allowed by Holtby simply because of difference in expectations. However, Holtby has allowed more of them per game recently, including some really bad/lazy softies, so he sits until his bad habits are worked out, imo.

This is all assuming there's some kind of reasonable plan. We're not so sure that's taking place with some of the decisions Oates and pals have made.

You can live with a softy here and there. The difference is, IMO, unlike Holtby, Grubs has not yet allowed the other team to score in bunches, so he hasn't really had a bad game yet..

I think he deserves to be a temp #1 until he has a bad game, at least.

Liberati0n*

I know generally that people believe that due to a better defensive game, a goalie's save percentage will go up in the NHL as compared to the AHL.

On the roster: Last season in each stop

Holtby:
WHL - 2.62 | .910
ECHL - 2.95 | .911
AHL - 2.61 | .906
12-13 NHL - 2.58 | .920

Neuvirth:
OHL - 3.12 | .911
ECHL - 2.28 | .918
AHL - 2.24 | .919
12-13 NHL - 2.74 | .910

Grubauer
OHL - 3.62 | .903
ECHL - 2.30 | .912
AHL - 2.25 | .919
13-14 NHL - 2.02 |.938

Interesting. I guess I actually remember thinking the same thing about Holtby's stats before he was up, so whatever.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
The Carolina Hurricanes are 2-12-3 with Tim Gleason in the lineup and 13-3-6 without. Hurricanes goal differentials - With Gleason: -23 / Without Gleason: +1

Hurricanes just traded Gleason.

4-3 Canes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad