GDT: Canes at the 2018 WJC

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yep. This despite the fact that he was just as productive as Morgan Reilly in that tournament and tied for the most productive player on that blueline. The narrative that was created because Vancouver fans were pissed about him taking a spot over the rather mediocre Frank Corrado really took over any preception of Murphy. He didn't have a good tourney (none of the Canada dmen did) but he wasn't the tire fire people make him out to be either IIRC.

Yeah, but maybe they saw something in him that we didn't want to believe, that he wasn't a good hockey player. Let's hope that's not the case for Bean. None of Murphy, Fleury or Bean got very positive reviews in their WJC play. It's a short tournament playing for coaches you don't know and with players you don't know against opponents you don't know, so it's not a final say by any means, but I'd rather have them playing great like guys like McAvoy and Chabot did.

Bean was always (to me) a project when the Canes picked him. Let's hope he develops into what the Canes hoped he would when they drafted him.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah you're not wrong about that. They weren't wrong that Murphy was terrible... long term. At that tourney he wasn't much worse then anyone else on that Canada blueline, that was just a disappointing team.

Fleury they were 100% dead wrong on, which came as no shock to me. The guy played as advertised in that tournament and seemingly simply took the blame for Canada underachieving massively that year when they had zero offense to speak of and mediocre at best goaltending.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah you're not wrong about that. They weren't wrong that Murphy was terrible... long term. At that tourney he wasn't much worse then anyone else on that Canada blueline, that was just a disappointing team.

Fleury they were 100% dead wrong on, which came as no shock to me. The guy played as advertised in that tournament and seemingly simply took the blame for Canada underachieving massively that year when they had zero offense to speak of and mediocre at best goaltending.

I caught a couple of games that year and I didn't think Fleury looked good at all in those games. He looked very tentative and unsure to me. I viewed it as a case where he was a guy that takes some time to adjust to a situation and system (as he did in Charlotte as well and probably will in the NHL as well) where-as confident, aggressive type defensemen who can play more loosely do better in WJC. I only saw a couple of games with Fleury in the WJC, but didn't come away impressed. I thought McKeown actually looked better, but granted, in a lesser role.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I caught a couple of games that year and I didn't think Fleury looked good at all in those games. He looked very tentative and unsure to me. I viewed it as a case where he was a guy that takes some time to adjust to a situation and system (as he did in Charlotte as well and probably will in the NHL as well) where-as confident, aggressive type defensemen who can play more loosely do better in WJC. I only saw a couple of games with Fleury in the WJC, but didn't come away impressed. I thought McKeown actually looked better, but granted, in a lesser role.
Probably red colored glasses on my part but I thought he looked fine defensively in the role he was playing. He brought no offense but he also wasn't exactly expected to. That was expected to be Chabot (who was fine) and Sanheim (who was the real flop of the tourney to me).

Yes, McKeown definitely looked better to me in that tournament even if he didn't produce offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad