Seravalli: Canes asking for a 5th for DeAngelo; will retain 50%

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
TDA just seems like one of those player who can put up good stats on a bad team that just sort of let's players do whatever they want. The guy is talented but he's not so much a defenseman. Honestly think he might make more sense as a winger. He can skate, shoot and pass, but this guy gets burned one on one and misses coverage. He can play with some toughness but obviously he's not a bruiser.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
TDA just seems like one of those player who can put up good stats on a bad team that just sort of let's players do whatever they want. The guy is talented but he's not so much a defenseman. Honestly think he might make more sense as a winger. He can skate, shoot and pass, but this guy gets burned one on one and misses coverage. He can play with some toughness but obviously he's not a bruiser.
A poor man's Erik Karlsson.

Reactions: Voight and JKG33

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
you just need to look at ANY previous thread on him and people pipping in.

Because there are FACTS disputing what you and many others keep repeating just because you've heard it.

Most of the folks like you just loathe him for his politics, so automatically go with anything negative.

I know you probably never looked into it, HF Boards folks are great sources for factual information, but most of the allegations and lies came from a super reliable site called Deadspin.

There's no way to make a threat about this dude without the typical posters coming in to rant and rave and further allegations that haven't been proven and assume he's some locker room pariah. They keep ignoring all the Hurricanes fans telling them what's really going on.

Dude has talent and has shown it in the past. There's no reason the think his career is over, despite how many in here want that to happen. Plus as stated, this isn't the team even wanting to ship the dude out of there for any reason. It's the player wanting more playing time.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Have they, or anyone, tried him on the wing + running the PP?
Canes have not, can't speak to other teams. Interesting idea but I'd let another team try it out lol.

Kinda but he truly was great as a (heavily sheltered by Slavin) "top pair D" in his first year in Carolina. Disaster in the playoffs but really didn't have much drop off from Dougie and Dougie wasn't exactly good in the playoffs either. Now we have Burns, Pesce and Chatfield so TDA is the odd man out, but I do think he could find a spot on a good team and contribute positively. He has done it once already with the Canes.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Counterpoint. He had his best professional season in 21-22 on a team with the 3rd most points in the NHL and with a coach that preaches accountability. Granted, Slavin covered for a lot of sins so I won't discount that.

I think TDA's ideal situation is being on the 3rd pairing with a defensively sound partner and getting PP time. The problem is when teams pay him and try to make him more than that. Carolina was able to make it successful because they could pair him with Slavin and we had Skjei/Pesce taking the toughest assignments he was able to utilize his offense without hurting the team defensively.

The Canes didn't want to pay him to be a $5M / year top 4 D though, Philly did and it failed.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Counterpoint. He had his best professional season in 21-22 on a team with the 3rd most points in the NHL and with a coach that preaches accountability. Granted, Slavin covered for a lot of sins so I won't discount that.

I think TDA's ideal situation is being on the 3rd pairing with a defensively sound partner and getting PP time. The problem is when teams pay him and try to make him more than that. Carolina was able to make it successful because they could pair him with Slavin and we had Skjei/Pesce taking the toughest assignments he was able to utilize his offense without hurting the team defensively.

The Canes didn't want to pay him to be a $5M / year top 4 D though, Philly did and it failed.
People tend to forget TDA actually covered for some of Slavin’s sins that year. He didn’t need as much protection as people like to say he did. He played well in his own end all season.

Reactions: CanesUltimate11

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Well.... scumbag that might fill a need and cost nothing. And perhaps a scumbag that isn't so scummy? (I really don't know all of what he has done)

Well people seem to hate him so I figured that's what the issue might be. He was great once. D tend to age well
He was great offensively. He’s always been a tire fire defensively and probably shouldn’t add him if you don’t have a reliable and relatively conservative defensive partner and or all around solid team defensive structure.

He’s a good fourth attacker and transition guy more so than a defender

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
We didn't waive him and are offering him for little value.
A) We're trying to do him a solid
B) he's so horrible that we just want to punt but we didn't even try to waive him..

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Canes have not, can't speak to other teams. Interesting idea but I'd let another team try it out lol.

Kinda but he truly was great as a (heavily sheltered by Slavin) "top pair D" in his first year in Carolina. Disaster in the playoffs but really didn't have much drop off from Dougie and Dougie wasn't exactly good in the playoffs either. Now we have Burns, Pesce and Chatfield so TDA is the odd man out, but I do think he could find a spot on a good team and contribute positively. He has done it once already with the Canes.

Not disputing that he had a great year with us two seasons ago. He did. There was really no drop off at all from Dougie leaving. You could argue he might have been an upgrade. But career years are a thing as well and it seems like with TDA unless everything is just right he isn't a reliable/consistent enough player to put out there and not worry about.

I don't put the Orlov-TDA disaster pairing solely on him. Orlov was doing some absolutely bizarre stuff early in the season but he has a track record of being a responsible two way force who can lay someone out. He's adjusted an playing much better now. I don't think TDA has that ability. He either works or he doesn't. When he's played lately he hasn't been terrible but he's clearly not one of the top 6 D-men and doesn't seem to have a place or great chemistry with anyone other than Slavin... well no shit. Everyone plays well with Slavin.

If we can trade him, free up some cap and get a pick then great. If not, he's an extra D that we can use as players need rest or to mitigate injury.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Not disputing that he had a great year with us two seasons ago. He did. There was really no drop off at all from Dougie leaving. You could argue he might have been an upgrade. But career years are a thing as well and it seems like with TDA unless everything is just right he isn't a reliable/consistent enough player to put out there and not worry about.

True, but he's only had 4 seasons over 60 games played (due to other concerns) so it's not a large sample size. And really had 2, maybe 3 seasons out of those where he's put up good stats.
1) Rangers: Who weren't that bad of a bad team (only 2 points less than Carolina), they were a middle of the pack team and he had 53 points and was +12
2) Canes: Who were a very good team and he put up 51 points and was a plus 30.

In Philly, he was on a bad team. He had 42 points, but he was a -27 and was scratched because of his play. Philly paid him to be a top 4 defenseman, which we all knew was a mistake.

I agree with you that I wouldn't feel generally comfortable putting him out there and not worrying, but I also feel confident saying that even on a good team, you put Tony on a 3rd pairing with a defensively responsible partner and give him 1st PP time, he'll net you 40-50 points and be good enough defensively as well that you don't worry too much.
I don't put the Orlov-TDA disaster pairing solely on him. Orlov was doing some absolutely bizarre stuff early in the season but he has a track record of being a responsible two way force who can lay someone out. He's adjusted an playing much better now.
I agree, it wasn't all on Tony, but the match wasn't good. Tony needs a strong defensive partner and Orlov early on wasn't that.

If we can trade him, free up some cap and get a pick then great. If not, he's an extra D that we can use as players need rest or to mitigate injury.
Yeah, I'd rather keep him for depth unless we use the space to improve the team elsewhere. He has worts, but he knows our team, knows our coach, knows our system. As we've seen with Orlov and others, picking up another defenseman who has to learn our man to man system might not work out either. We are going to need depth in the playoffs, no doubt about that.

Reactions: Tryamw

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

I don't put the Orlov-TDA disaster pairing solely on him. Orlov was doing some absolutely bizarre stuff early in the season but he has a track record of being a responsible two way force who can lay someone out. He's adjusted an playing much better now. I don't think TDA has that ability. He either works or he doesn't. When he's played lately he hasn't been terrible but he's clearly not one of the top 6 D-men and doesn't seem to have a place or great chemistry with anyone other than Slavin... well no shit. Everyone plays well with Slavin.

TDA has also looked surprisingly solid with Skjei, which I didn't expect. I think Skjei has a better idea of how to compliment his partner, knowing when to hang back vs attack based on how Pesce (or TDA) is playing.

Orlov and TDA didn't seem to have any idea what the other might do, and I think you are correct that was on both of them. Another factor is if Chatfield guesses wrong about Orlov, Chatfield has the speed to eliminate such a mistake as he's shown a few times this season.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
And Barrie is by all accounts extremely well liked whereas DeAngelo, well....

If Barrie made DeAngelo's AAV he'd be dealt by now though imo
...is also seemingly extremely well-liked by all his current teammates? He and Georgiev clashed in New York, but by all accounts that was more Georgiev than TDA. We had lengthy discussions with our former Rags players (Skjei, Fast, Smith) before bringing him over and obviously had no major concerns (though he was kept on a short leash).

archangel2

May 19, 2019
We didn't waive him and are offering him for little value.
A) We're trying to do him a solid
B) he's so horrible that we just want to punt but we didn't even try to waive him..
With B there is a few things. No team wants an unhappy player in the dressing room or on the team. Given Tony D's history? Him being unhappy is not a good thing for any team to have around.

With A--IS Tony D not willing to do whatever the team asks of him to help the team win. Canes are 2nd in their division and I think could do some damage in the playoffs.

removing his history, the big issue with his play is that he is not good in his own zone and any team that is heading into the playoffs would not want a liability like that on the ice.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
-History of racism
-Strong politics, has threatened people over it
-Has attacked refs several times
-Got in a fist fight with the Rangers goalie over not making saves
-Teams have scratched him for poor work ethic and his personality

- history of racism based off one incident. A decade ago.
- his political views are irrelevant. He isn't a Nazi.
- not the best look, defiantly needs to control his anger better
- fist fight is a bit of a stretch. Besides, said goalie wasn't liked by the majority of his teammates.
- Work ethic could be better, as for personality... I don't think that's why he was scratched. His teammates don't seem to mind it.

I love how Canes fans keep telling people what’s been going on with the guy, and people keep avoiding that info and keep spinning their own story to keep their agenda going.

You can chalk that up to the polarized world we live in. If people don't like your political views they will just make assumptions about you ands ignore any evidence to the contrary because it doesn't validate their opinions.

Last edited:

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Trying to use TDA as a top4 D man is like choosing a Motorcycle to pull a 5000 lb trailer. He's good at what he does. But not good at what he doesn't. And like most other canes fans I'd rather keep him. But get its doing a solid for a player

Reactions: DaveG and Wolfpuck

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Based on articles posted, it sounds like the Canes would do this for the player, not necessarily for themselves. Personally, he's been fine in Carolina and provides very good depth in case of injuries. He knows the system (man to man which takes some players time to learn), he knows the players, he knows the coach, etc..

We will have injuries in the playoffs. I hope we keep him.

Reactions: Tryamw and Chrispy

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Well known to be an extremely popular guy in every locker room hes been in. Fyi, rangers players hated georgiev. Look no further then when georgiev played at msg his first game back as an av and basically flipped the rangers bench off after the game.

Reality of the situation was rangers used it as an out as they couldnt have the right side of their D making $23mm between him, trouba and fox.
I’ve seen some rangers fans say it here but I haven’t anywhere else, where was it said Georgiev was disliked?

Also there was more to the Tony D trade than that. The coaching staff had had prior issues with his discipline issues and warned him before the Georgiev thing. Pretty sure the coach himself alluded to that tho I’d have to dig up the old article.

It’s unfortunate some blogger made up a story, because he muddied up the picture now some of Tony’s fans use that to act like any and all other things said about him are made up or hugely exaggerated

He’s a talented (offensively) dman who had issues before even making the NHL far back as junior. Got moved on from by Tampa before they had their stacked D because issues with him and the coaches in the AHL. Arizona moved on. Rangers moved on, Flyers

There’s no way around the fact he’s been on way more teams than you’d expect from an offensively talented defenseman, especially right handed as they’re perpetually in demand.

You can have likeable qualities and have issues simultaneously. His issues seem to have been with authority figures if I had to guess just given the issues with multiple coaches (disagreements over usage or minutes, history of being benched) and multiple times refs.

The Canes unsurprisingly have a good room. They also have the style of team to shelter the f*** out of a defenseman like DeAngelo where his play flaws can be more or less ignored

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad