Seravalli: Canes asking for a 5th for DeAngelo; will retain 50%

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
I’ve seen some rangers fans say it here but I haven’t anywhere else, where was it said Georgiev was disliked?

Also there was more to the Tony D trade than that. The coaching staff had had prior issues with his discipline issues and warned him before the Georgiev thing. Pretty sure the coach himself alluded to that tho I’d have to dig up the old article.

It’s unfortunate some blogger made up a story, because he muddied up the picture now some of Tony’s fans use that to act like any and all other things said about him are made up or hugely exaggerated

He’s a talented (offensively) dman who had issues before even making the NHL far back as junior. Got moved on from by Tampa before they had their stacked D because issues with him and the coaches in the AHL. Arizona moved on. Rangers moved on, Flyers

There’s no way around the fact he’s been on way more teams than you’d expect from an offensively talented defenseman, especially right handed as they’re perpetually in demand.

You can have likeable qualities and have issues simultaneously. His issues seem to have been with authority figures if I had to guess just given the issues with multiple coaches (disagreements over usage or minutes, history of being benched) and multiple times refs.

The Canes unsurprisingly have a good room. They also have the style of team to shelter the f*** out of a defenseman like DeAngelo where his play flaws can be more or less ignored
Its well known in hockey circles. Tony d has been extremely well liked in every locker room. And factually georgiev the single most unliked player in the nyr locker room. Georgiev made things awkward as he was always pissy thinking he was the next tretiak

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
You can chalk that up to the polarized world we live in. If people don't like your political views they will just make assumptions about you ands ignore any evidence to the contrary because it doesn't validate their opinions.
I love the way you tried to discredit the knocks one by one. His agent?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Its well known in hockey circles. Tony d has been extremely well liked in every locker room. And factually georgiev the single most unliked player in the nyr locker room. Georgiev made things awkward as he was always pissy thinking he was the next tretiak
A well liked racist? In the NHL?

giphy.gif

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think if your goalie punches you in the face that says A LOT about you as a person, that doesn't just happen.

But you don't have to be a good person to be good at your job, Antonio Brown, Jon Jones are 2 examples of that.

There is enough talent there that somebody will look past his crap, and there is a need in Toronto
I don’t think Toronto needs to get worse defensively

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Pretty telling that a playoff team with cap space is willing to deal a guy with such a small contract for just a pick.

At the very least he is cheap depth for them, something most playoff teams are looking to add. Yet Carolina just trying to dump the guy.

Massive red flags if I'm a GM. That's not taking into account any past history. Just any playoff team in general that would put up a depth guy at this time of year when they have cap space is a bit odd

• Haha
Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Pretty telling that a playoff team with cap space is willing to deal a guy with such a small contract for just a pick.

At the very least he is cheap depth for them, something most playoff teams are looking to add. Yet Carolina just trying to dump the guy.

Massive red flags if I'm a GM. That's not taking into account any past history. Just any playoff team in general that would put up a depth guy at this time of year when they have cap space is a bit odd
It's like you haven't taken the time to read ANYTHING in this thread...or maybe just can't read?

Reactions: thrillhous

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Based on the news articles, it seems they are doing it for his benefit because he wants to play full time and he's the 7th D on a very deep team.

He's caused no issues in Carolina. He didn't mesh with Orlov and got replaced by Chatfield and never got his spot back. When Chatfield was hurt, Tony stepped in and he played with Skjei and did well.

Tony is a guy that needs a strong defensive partner. Orlov, who was struggling to adapt to the Canes man-man defense wasn't that.

I'd prefer to keep him as depth personally.

Reactions: wolfofthesteppes

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

We aren’t trying to dump him, no matter how times it’s stated

• Haha
Reactions: Dr Quincy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
He hasn’t worn out his welcome. The Canes’ locker room loves him. Jalen Chatfield is just a better defenseman than he is at half the cost, simple as that.
Seems like he's worn out his welcome after all.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Ri
Or…the Canes want some extra cap space….not rocket science.
You are correct, its not. When a team waives a player and offers him to everyone for free it's clear that they don't want him.

It's not rocket science.

And "waiving him" doesn't really clear cap space. It saves $1m, but then he needs to be replaced on the roster by someone. So best case scenario is it saves 200k.

Unless of course they are hoping that someone claims him and takes all of his cap hit. In other words- they don't want him on the team. Which was the point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad